Common too 'controversial' for White House poetry event?

white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
The Daily Caller is grasping hard on this one. I guess Palin tweeted about their story and the author of the blog put out another article talking about the "growing controversy," and the echo chamber keeps on echoin'.

???Burn a Bush???? Michelle Obama invites rapper Common to a poetry reading

Here???s an opportunity to relive your high-school poetry classes.

First Lady Michelle Obama has scheduled a poetry evening for Wednesday, and she???s invited several poets, including a successful Chicago poet and rapper, Lonnie Rashid Lynn, Jr., AKA ???Common.??? However, Lynn is quite controversial, in part because his poetry includes threats to shoot police and at least one passage calling for the ???burn[ing]??? of then-President George W. Bush.

Back in 2003, First Lady Laura Bush held a poetry evening, and she invited several poets to reprise the work of Emily Dickinson, Langston Hughes and Walt Whitman. Although none of those poets had urged violence against a president, Bush canceled the event after left-of-center poets protested and threatened to disrupt the event.

Here???s a sample of Dickinson???s work that could have been presented at Bush???s event:

I???m nobody! Who are you?
I???m nobody! Who are you?
Are you nobody, too?
Then there???s a pair of us ??? don???t tell!
They???d banish us, you know.
How dreary to be somebody!
How public, like a frog
To tell your name the livelong day
To an admiring bog!

Here???s a sample of Common???s work, transcribed from a 2007 video with 837,613 viewers on YouTube. Students, please compare and contrast the two poems. You???ll get extra credit for counting the death threats. There is no extra credit for identifying spelling errors. By the way, ???Uzi??? is slang for a compact machine gun:

A Letter to the Law
Dem boy wanna talk??? [indistinguishable]
Whatcha gon do if ya got one gun?
I sing a song for the hero unsung
with faces on the mural of the revolution
No looking back cos??? in back is what???s done
Tell the preacher, God got more than one son
Tell the law, my Uzi weighs a ton
I walk like a warrior,
from them I won???t run
On the streets, they try to beat us like a drum
In Cincinnati, another brother hung
A guinea won???t see the sun
with his family stung
They want us to hold justice
but you handed me none
The same they did to Kobe and Michael Jackson
make them the main attraction
Turn around and attack them
Black gem in the rough
You???re rugged enough
Use your mind and nine-power, get the government touch
Them boys chat-chat on how him pop gun
I got the black strap to make the cops run
They watching me, I???m watching them
Them dick boys got a lock of cock in them
My people on the block got a lot of pok* in them
and when we roll together
we be rocking them to sleep
No time for that, because there???s things to be done
Stay true to what I do so the youth dream come
from project building
Seeing a fiend being hung
With that happening, why they messing with Saddam?
Burn a Bush cos??? for peace he no push no button
Killing over oil and grease
no weapons of destruction
How can we follow a leader when this a corrupt one
The government???s a g-unit and they might buck young black people
Black people In the urban area one
I hold up a peace sign, but I carry a gun.
Peace, ya???ll.???

The First Lady???s office did not return a call from TheDC.

*Commenter notes this may be ???Pac,??? as in Tupac Shakur

Comments

• Options
    Just remind them that he's a member of Jeremiah Wright's church and I'm sure they'll back right off.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    when you think of Common, you obviously think "controversial"

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Sarah Palin is fucking stupid. In equally shocking news, water is wet.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    keithvanhorn said:
    when you think of Common, you obviously think "Dr Pepper commercials."

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    This is some shameful sheet...

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I wanna see what Bristol's iPod looks like.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I was just going to post this. Good god. Old folks and their racial politics.

Meanwhile, Common getting back 1% of his street cred totally trumps Osama bin Laden getting the casket for the "Most Surprising Development In 2011" award.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    By the way, ???Uzi??? is slang for a compact machine gun
    Also, 'Coca cola' is slang for carbonated sweetened water.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    At least one passage calling for the burning of President Bush. Is there a B-side of Electric Circus that I'm unaware? I am actually somewhat shocked that we didn't get some stuff about Common growing up in an area Obama did some community organizin'. Or, that they didn't link Common to the Kanye's "George Bush Doesn't Like Black People" or even mention that Common and 'Ye have both sampled uber-radical Gil-Scott Heron, on songs featuring both of them. But if the "controversy" "is" "still" "growing," perhaps there's time for all of that.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    His first album has lyrics so corny, he should indeed be banished from all poetry events forever.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    white_tea said:
    At least one passage calling for the burning of President Bush. Is there a B-side of Electric Circus that I'm unaware? I am actually somewhat shocked that we didn't get some stuff about Common growing up in an area Obama did some community organizin'. Or, that they didn't link Common to the Kanye's "George Bush Doesn't Like Black People" or even mention that Common and 'Ye have both sampled uber-radical Gil-Scott Heron, on songs featuring both of them. But if the "controversy" "is" "still" "growing," perhaps there's time for all of that.

I'm nearly certain that Conservative ops are scanning hottlyrics.com in a feverish effort to find the next Jeremiah Wright. Because that strategy worked so well the last 4 times around.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    His first album has lyrics so corny, he should indeed be banished from all poetry events forever.

I'll assume that you stopped with his career right there. The scent does go on.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    luck said:
    white_tea said:

I'm nearly certain that Conservative ops are scanning hottlyrics.com in a feverish effort to find the next Jeremiah Wright. Because that strategy worked so well the last 4 times around.

You wonder how much Common they had to listen to before they found something that worked for their blog.

You know what's weird is that on 9/11, I remember MTV playing Common's "The Light" video over and over, I guess, as a healing message or something.

• Options
    "Fox news alerts concerned white people everywhere that there is a new common enemy (not apologizing) for their two minute hate. This time it is Rev. Wright Barack Obama Michelle Obama Eric Holder Van Jones Shirley Sherrod black farmers the new Black Panther Party Charlie Rangel Desir??e Rogers Rev. Joseph Lowery AC-DC???s Back in Black Black Hole Sun The Man in Blackblack black BLACK BLACKITY BLACK BLACK! rapper Common:

Sarah Palin took issue with the White House inviting Grammy Award-winning rapper and actor Common, born Lonnie Rashin Lynn Jr., to a poetry event hosted by the first lady on Wednesday night.

During an appearance on Fox News??? ???On the Record,??? Palin said, ???The White House???s judgment on inviting someone who would glorify cop killing during Police Memorial Week, of all times, you know, the judgment, it???s just so lacking of class and decency.???

The next part I simply find impossible to spoof:

In weighing in on the matter, Palin said despite her criticism she???s ???not a proponent of stifling any kind of free speech.??? She added, ???I???m not anti-rap. In fact, like Bret Baier, I know the lyrics to ???Rapper???s Delight,??? too.

The Sugarhill Gang, rap artist of choice for the wingnut set."

http://www.balloon-juice.com/2011/05/12/if-id-known-it-was-going-to-be-this-kind-of-party-id-have-stuck-my-dick-in-the-mashed-potatoes/

• TheKindCromangTheKindCromang 1,463 Posts
    The Daily Show totally killed this issue last night.

"Are we really doing this again? For this guy? Common? The guy from the Gap ads. The guy from the Queen Latifah rom-com. Elmo's friend,"

Nailed it.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    The Daily Show totally killed this issue last night.

"Are we really doing this again? For this guy? Common? The guy from the Gap ads. The guy from the Queen Latifah rom-com. Elmo's friend,"

Nailed it.

http://www.twitvid.com/VVHHT

jon stewart is fukkin great

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Serious question....

What's the difference between black folks who speak out against inter-racial marriage and white folks who do the same?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Serious question....

What's the difference between black folks who speak out against inter-racial marriage and white folks who do the same?

Skin color?

DB_Cooper said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Serious question....

Skin color?

WINNER!!!

Rockadelic said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Serious question....

Skin color?

WINNER!!!

Nice! I like conscious rapp by mediocre actors who've impregnated Erika Badu. PM with address sent.

DB_Cooper said:
    Rockadelic said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Serious question....

Skin color?

WINNER!!!

Nice! I like conscious rapp by mediocre actors who've impregnated Erika Badu. PM with address sent.

Would you accept a Bill Cosby record instead?

Rockadelic said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Rockadelic said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Serious question....

Skin color?

WINNER!!!

Only if it contains a half-coherent rant against interracial marriage.

Rockadelic said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Rockadelic said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Serious question....

Skin color?

WINNER!!!

Only if it contains a half-coherent rant against interracial marriage.

Polls show that 73% of the white Republican Bill Cosby fans over 50 are against Interracial marriage...so just by owning any Bill Cosby LP you will have something in common with this Common dude(bad pun intended).

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Is Common against interracial marriage? Did I miss the memo? If it was listed in some lyric snippet above I apologize.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    He gave an interview a while back saying as much...his point about Rastafarians/black dreads dating white women was not totally outlandish imo. But I cringe at clean-shaven dreads, so I may not be the most moderate person to comment on the subject.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    The conversation about interracial marriage in the Black community is very different from the conversation about interracial marriage in the white community.

LaserWolf said:
    The conversation about interracial marriage in the Black community is very different from the conversation about interracial marriage in the white community.

How so?

Please to explain.

• Options
    LaserWolf said:

I've had Jewish friends who say they feel a strong obligation to marry within the "tribe," as it were. That's very different from Christians saying Christians shouldn't marry Jews, for reasons that should be historically obvious.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    LaserWolf said:

How so?

Please to explain.

I typed a long response but I think it would be easier just to ask:

Are you unaware of the history of race relations in America?