Elzhi - Elmatic

coldgritzcoldgritz 71 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
XXL and Elzhi.com are proud to present Elzhi???s new mixtape, Elmatic, for free download.

The 10-track offering???which finds the Detroit lyricist paying homage to Nas???s classic debute LP, Illmatic???was produced entirely by Will Sessions. Fellow D-Town MC Royce da 5???9??? and Illmatic beatmaker Pete Rock also make appearances.

Fans can pre-order limited edition physical copies of the disc and other merchandise at elzhi.com. now. ???XXL Staff

View the entire tracklisting below:

1. The Genesis
2. Detroit State of Mind (Houseshoes Shout)
3. Halftime
4. Memory Lane
5. The World Is Yours
6. Represent
7. Life???s A Bitch feat. Royce da 5???9 and Stokley Williams of Mint Condition
8. One Love
9. It Ain???t Hard To Tell (Pete Rock Shout)
10. Pete Rock Shout

DL Link:
http://www.xxlmag.com/uploads/mixtapes/2011.05.10_elzhi.zip

or :ehhx2:?

Comments

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    I just don't see the point of doing this, he's a good lyricist and i do like him but this will have 0 replay value. He should of just recorded an album or a mixtape with some original stuff and freestyles...........ehhhhhhhhhhhh.

peace,xavier

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Elzhi is a decent mc - I copped his last album just to have 'transitional joint' on vinyl - but not very remarkable, imo.

And although this sounds good, i think its a little too derivative.
    Where does the tribute end and the coattail riding begin?
    Even the beats remind me of something else: the el michels wu tang renditions.

Its not hurting his publicity, but I can see a lot of people dismissing this as straight up biting. Then again - in the current post rapp climate, does the concept of biting even mean anything anymore?
    Had this been reggae, no one would blink.

I'd be interested to hear nas' take on this.

Shit is still going into the mp3 player for a second tho.

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    I understand the points people are making on this project. I'm diggin' it though. It came out better than what I thought it would. Pretty fresh.

just wanted to mention that this has really grown on me.
    Regardless, the production is Crazy and sounds incredible on repeat
    Shit is pretty great. I dare anyone to not like this:

:feelin_it: X10

bonus vid: primo reacts to the will sessions renditions of his beats.

• Gimmick rap. That band could have made a classic with him. Not remade a classic.

i know man - but that lifes a bitch is on some hands in the air tears in the eyes feelin the creator type shit. open your heart to that shit dawg

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    It's nice and all, but I don't really see the point of it. It's like the musical equivalent of a lovingly curated museum display of stuff you can see everyday.

• Rappy horror picture show.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    This is way better, how-to-really-rap-related...

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts