Popular Bands -- Sad Decline

2»

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    On a related note: is there a law that states all aging African-American male soul singers on the revival circuit have to dress like THIS?:

Don't hate - I saw this show at the state fair like 8 years ago and really enjoyed it.

The Delfonics opened though so I may have been unusually blissed-out...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    bull_ox said:
    pickwick33 said:
    On a related note: is there a law that states all aging African-American male soul singers on the revival circuit have to dress like THIS?:

Don't hate - I saw this show at the state fair like 8 years ago and really enjoyed it.

No hate, just wonder why all the soul singers working oldies shows are all dressing in 1940's zoot suits. It looked cool the first 3007 times I saw it, but by the time we got to #3008, I started wishing for some variety...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    thats fly

• vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
    note to self: start soul revival band and name it 'Grover billingsworth and the key lime pies'

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    i am playing a support set for kurtis blow soon. i hope he doesn't take his shirt off

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    Well, while I can't speak to the legal aspect of your question, I've gotta say that this look makes a lot of commercial sense when you think of how many audiences it pleases. Broadly, it simultaneously satisfies: 1) the way that a young audience would expect an old soul group to look ("It was great--they looked like old-time gangsters or something!"), 2) the way an old audience would expect their contemporaries to look when on a stage ("It was great--they had on nice matching suits, none of those jerseys or jean pants!"), 3) the way a black audience would expect an old soul group to look ("It was great--they were up there matching in crisp lime steppers' suits!") and 4) the way a white audience would expect an old soul group to look ("It was great--they were up there in these crazy green pimp outfits!"). And since I can't imagine that a reconstituted Chi-Lites or whoever is making extraneous-costume-change-level dough, having something that covers many bases at once is a logical look.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,898 Posts
    Also doing their part for the disabled audience - those suits are so bright they enable the blind to see them and so loud, the deaf to hear them. This miracle of science comes with the added benefit of being highly unlikely to be stolen (even by Alexander O'Neal) or lost on the dry-cleaner's rail.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    james said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    I bought my current set of Techs used on eBay around maybe 2002ish(?). One arrived with a Soup Dragons slipmat on it.
    This is really fucking me up.

I'm imagining that the slipmat in question pictured a fractal. If I'm wrong, don't tell me.

Right? The implications are staggering.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    pcmr said:
    TRIPPING DAISY

well this band kinda broke into 2 bands...Secret Machines and Polyphonic Spree