Broken Beat, What is it?, Please School me...

RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
Thanks

Comments

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    Duderonomy said:

yep. it's a shame that not many of these are available on youtube on the net in general.

• spcspc 534 Posts
    This is THE borken beat anthem:

A little tv clip:

And a trailer for a docu which sits an shelf somewhere:

that doc is sitting on my friend's shelf, don't know why it never came out. i helped out with it, i guess he didn't manage to interview everyone. some nice footage there from the co-op float at notting hill carnival.

• spcspc 534 Posts
    Ulysses31nicholas said:
    that doc is sitting on my friend's shelf, don't know why it never came out. i helped out with it, i guess he didn't manage to interview everyone. some nice footage there from the co-op float at notting hill carnival.

Oh my god! I've been waiting for this for many years. I wrote many unanswered emails to the production company. My last information was that is has been finished and lincensed to a canadian tv station.

Would it be somehow possible to watch that footage?
    A friend of mine hosts a regular film screening before a party once every month in Mannheim/Germany, where he shows music related docus. He recently had a Dub Echos screening with an exclusive video interview with the guy from brazil who made that documentary.
    Perhaps that would be an option for your friend?

Here is his facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/soundball

Thats the party page (german only, sorry):

http://de.flavors.me/koolkasbah

That would be super awesome to have the movie shown there and make me very happy ;) !!

hahah. you know what i've never seen it myself, i'd really love to. pm me your email and i'll have a chat with my friend.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Jneiro Jarel and aliases as well as his wifey's mixes should get you along

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I always dug this stuff but only knew the really obvious things like BITA. Links to good mixes would definitely be appreciated.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I appreciated at the time. but I don't think the majority of this stuff has held up well in the decade past.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    pcmr said:
    wut ?
    jneiro jarel is not broken beat at all
    and who the hell is his wifey

@threadstarter : 2000black (good good compilations, a next set of rockers), dkd, silhouette brown (the 1st album)

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    damms said:
    silhouette brown (the 1st album)

Still love this.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    2006 was a good year...

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    spc said:
    borken beat

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    damms said:
    pcmr said:
    wut ?
    jneiro jarel is not broken beat at all
    and who the hell is his wifey

@threadstarter : 2000black (good good compilations, a next set of rockers), dkd, silhouette brown (the 1st album)

Wifey is/was a gal named Sezy? I think she was his manager for a bit. I may be way off, but this is what I remember.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    I wouldn't qualify what you posted as broken beat Elise
    because the beat is a lot less prominent than the groove. a little too buried. but I'll stop nitpicking and concede
    @threadstarter this is good too

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    damms said:
    I wouldn't qualify what you posted as broken beat Elise
    because the beat is a lot less prominent than the groove. a little too buried. but I'll stop nitpicking and concede

Certainly, but that doesn't limit the fact that he has indeed worked on some broken beat influenced music.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Yes DJ Sezy Rahn
    and i mean your qualification can mean something Damms
    but jneiro worked on that type of music, made mixes as well as promoted websites and describes his own sound as such thus he can fall into the category....
    but he was the artist that got me into this genre so i am biased
    will i debate broken beat purity hellz naw

Okem said:
    I appreciated at the time. but I don't think the majority of this stuff has held up well in the decade past.

the bangers never fade.

• these kinds of threads are my favorite - thanks OP for asking the question and thanks Strut for answering!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Ulysses31nicholas said:
    Okem said:

the bangers never fade.

It's funny cause I found an old box of 12s of this stuff the other day, and this was one of the first ones I pulled to give a listen. It's still good, but it went straight in the 'sell' pile & unlike some of the more leftfield house things I was buying at the time, this ish hasn't turned out to been a good investment.

• trzakhstantrzakhstan IA 198 Posts
    This always reminds me of the siren at the co-op party back in the day......

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Can't believe this thread has reached page 2 without mentioning Jazzanova.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    disco_che said:
    Can't believe this thread has reached page 2 without clowning this entire genre or mentioning stonesthrow.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    Wow... thanks one and all for the schooling!

So this genre is no longer viewed as relavant?

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    Raystar said:
    So this genre is no longer viewed as relavant?
    only by hypebeasts

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    Yo, I'm really feeling these recommendations... just cant get away from Madlib I see... I used to listen to this type of stuff like really late on Saturday night on Philly radio and we would already be tipsy and we would laugh at how wierd it sounded but we would listen for a long time. I never knew what it was called. I like it. Thanks again.

• spcspc 534 Posts
    Okem said:
    Ulysses31nicholas said:
    Okem said:

the bangers never fade.

It's funny cause I found an old box of 12s of this stuff the other day, and this was one of the first ones I pulled to give a listen. It's still good, but it went straight in the 'sell' pile & unlike some of the more leftfield house things I was buying at the time, this ish hasn't turned out to been a good investment.

Always depends on what a good investment is to you. If it's only the resale value, then broken beat is a bad investment, but for me most of it is some super bad ass 21st century future bboy funk, and that for me is a very good investment.

• spcspc 534 Posts
    Also dope:

moke, i'll definitely take that off your hands if you can't find a buyer. i'm still missing a couple of 12"s