chicha / cumbia / afro-peruvian recommendations

pimlicosquirrelpimlicosquirrel 772 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
Por Favor

We have been in Lima/Peru trying to purchase a large quantity of Chicha posters similar to the ones in the videos below for days now, and although it's been something of a bitch to organize, it's been great fun and we are finally getting somewhere.

We haven't been checking for records at all on this trip (bigger fish related), but the music and culture here is blowing me away far more than any other SA country so far. So can anyone recommend some Peruvian gems I should be checking for and any record spots I can hit up.

I think I could live here, anyone else been down this way? We are in Iquitos at the moment, it's like a fusking pirates haven.

Comments

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    I'm assuming you've been around Tacna and Wilson already then? Check my dude upstairs.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    you should pick up what ever that song in the first vid is.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    you should pick up what ever that song in the first vid is.

It's called Cumbia de los Pajaritos. Any cover will most likely be hot lava but this is the one to get I think....

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:
    I'm assuming you've been around Tacna and Wilson already then? Check my dude upstairs.
    :real_headz:

• pcmr said:
    4YearGraduate said:
    :real_headz:

You mean Dante? Yeah I've been to the spots on Wilson and copped a grip. Dante sells his cream on-line and those spots get hit on the regular from what I can gather. I'm not deep in my understanding of Peruvian Chicha/Cumbia so I know I probably skated right past some gems, I mostly copped the obvious stuff like Compay Quintos/ Los Ribeneros/Los Destellos/Los Mirlos/ETC. Like I said I'm just kind of getting down with it, we leave tomorrow for Mexico, we may hit up the black market before hand which is supposed to be a bit off the radar (maybe). Otherwise, I now have a good dude here now who can hook me up as far as filling wants goes.

Any further recommendations other than Ranil?

• :hard_as_fuck:

;blap:

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Damn Iquitos looks like fun. I'm trying to make it to Leticia and then to Manaus one of these days. Will add it to the list.

• SportCasual said:
    Damn Iquitos looks like fun. I'm trying to make it to Leticia and then to Manaus one of these days. Will add it to the list.

Do it man, eye-popping at every turn.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    iquitos is the literal definition of urban jungle

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    pimlicosquirrel said:

Sick! I could listen to this all day, even with that semi-grating chorus. All videos posted are pretty fresh. Our Man in Iquitos looks like a nice doc.

So what's the difference between cumbia and chicha? Chicha is slower and guitar driven, while cumbia is faster and generally accordion led?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Picked up this 45 recently and am digging heavily:

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Essential:

http://lightintheattic.net/releases/590-el-sonido-de-tupac-amaru

And cop the Ranil if you missed out last year. I think you can still find a copy somewhere.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    musica said:
    Essential:

http://lightintheattic.net/releases/590-el-sonido-de-tupac-amaru

And cop the Ranil if you missed out last year. I think you can still find a copy somewhere.

Yep, in the link you posted!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Pimlico: Have you reached out to Mike P aka Mike Pigott of Masstropicas? This is his area of specialty and if I'm not mistaken, he's actually in Peru, right now. You can find him on Facebook under his real name.

The way the difference b/t the two was explained to me is that chicha is a newer ('80s onward) genre that borrows from elements of cumbia peruana but they're not synonymous. The one thing that connects them is the use of surf guitar and the basic cumbia two-step but it's sort of like comparing '80s salsa with '60s guaracha and guaguanco. Obvious similarities but not identical styles.