DSLR Strut: broken lens Canon EOS edition....

karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
Anyone here have experience with a canon DSLR lens getting messed up so it doesnt attach correctly to the camera body? ive been googling around but im not even sure what to search for. im hoping i can get it repaired, or find a replacement part.

my Tamron 18-270mm took a hit in transit and the plastic ring that surrounds the "inside" lens (the one that goes into the camera body) has one of its 3 inside clips snapped off - so the ring comes out of the circular channel around the inner lens very easily (thus exposing the circuits and crap inside the lens).

So, when you try to mount it to the body, it gets super tight to the point where youd be doing real damage to try to get it to totally click on the camera body (in my case a 40D but all canon DSLRs are the same) the way it should. (and therefore it wont talk to the camera, no autofocus etc). im suspecting the plastic ring gets forced out and jams into the mechanism as you turn it tighter. So its a $600 paperweight till i can sort out what to do. just looking for some advice, general or specific. thanks!

the ring in question is the black part in the lower right of this picture, the dealio surrounding the little lens.

Comments

• johnblackjohnblack 147 Posts
    Just going through similar shit with my 55-250, i have an issue with 'communication' between camera and lens (got a little personal with shooting some waves and got a bit of water in the lens). I have been checking on a repair and as far as I have gathered, everything is serviceable, and repairable in there. Cost though, I don't have a ballpark yet.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    even if its not repairable, i wouldnt say its a total loss. you can get some chance happening art pics by just holding the lens to the body. i think youll have to engage the viewfinder somehow (or just hip shoot it) but ive gotten some interesting shit by unlocking the lens from the body and tilting it a lil to get some light leaks and distortion of the lens. i think theres a technical term for it but i dont remember it. just fyi.

• johnblackjohnblack 147 Posts
    True, I shot some footage for a tune I made using an unattached lens, and also shooting with no lens through a brandy balloon full of water.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    looks awesome. cant watch right now cuz im at work.

karlo, another thing to consider is how hard your lens was "hit". optics are fairly sensitive and it could be that you bumped the lens elements out of place. maybe the digital lenses are more robust but the plastic ring bit might be the least of your problems. in any case, you can still use it as your art lens!

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    grandpa_shig said:
    looks awesome. cant watch right now cuz im at work.

karlo, another thing to consider is how hard your lens was "hit". optics are fairly sensitive and it could be that you bumped the lens elements out of place. maybe the digital lenses are more robust but the plastic ring bit might be the least of your problems. in any case, you can still use it as your art lens!

yeah no idea what actually happened or what else might be wrong with it. i just know it starts to grind metal on metal if i try to mount it, and im not gonna damage my cam body by fusking with it.

it was my daily workhorse "go to" good for anything lens so if there no fix, ill just have to get another one. i like the art lens idea. ive gotten neat results by flipping a lens around the wrong way and holding it front of the body. this being a major zoom lens i dunno what i can get with it that way but who knows...