...all in all, how do YOU feel about G.A.Z.A.?

13»

Comments

• American tax payers should not be paying for this. There is no medicare in the US. They need that money. I've thought about moving to Israel recently. Its something that has become more important to me. Don't see it has a fufillment of god's will, though. I'm not so religious! I thought the south africa comaprison was valid because the dutch/english lived there for nearly 400 years & they were asked to relinquish the reins.

Peace

h

Without US support, Israel would be wiped out of the middle east in a heartbeat. I don't necessarily agree with everything that the Israeli government does, but they do have a right to exist and I think the eviction of the Gaza settlers is a step (hopefully) in the right direction.

Israel is a major (yet undeclared) nuclear power with a huge, well-traine/ outfitted millitary. They're not going anywhere.

How do you think they are able to build, outfit and maintain their military? Because of our support.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

Imagine if they had cameras during middle passage where an estimated 30 million Africans died? Where's their Israel? BTW.

Or if you look at the height of colonialism, the estimated 10 million alone that died in the Belgian Congo under King Leopold's reign...

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Imagine if they had cameras during middle passage where an estimated 30 million Africans died? Where's their Israel? BTW.

Wouldn't their Israel be Africa? I don't know. I'm afraid I don't know much about African history, but wouldn't Africa or the countries within the African continent be considered their homelands? I don't understand.

h

Some believe that only a country carved out of the American landscape would be a just homeland for the decendents of slaves. Kansas is often mentioned.

I'm surprised this hasn't happened. Have civil rights leaders supported this in the past? I know something about the civil rights movement, but don't recall hearing this idea put forth.

h

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Wouldn't their Israel be Africa? I don't know. I'm afraid I don't know much about African history, but wouldn't Africa or the countries within the African continent be considered their homelands? I don't understand.

h

Some believe that only a country carved out of the American landscape would be a just homeland for the decendents of slaves. Kansas is often mentioned.

I'm surprised this hasn't happened. Have civil rights leaders supported this in the past? I know something about the civil rights movement, but don't recall hearing this idea put forth.

h

Civil rights leaders would never talk about this. It is solely the vision of Black nationalists. I don't think there is any active movement toward this today.
    It is in direct opposition to the ideas of intergration and assimilation.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

h

I don't know much either. African slaves were not allowed to use their language, or to drum, make African music and other aspects of African culture were outlawed. One view is that because of this they have no connection to Africa today. Some believe that only a country carved out of the American landscape would be a just homeland for the decendents of slaves. Kansas is often mentioned.

My own belife is that survivors of slaves should be given the intrest on 40 acres and mule that their forebarers should have been given after the civil war.

Liberia in Africa, was founded as a homeland for exslaves.

Dan

Forgiving debt, colonialists getting the fuck out once and for all, providing aid without any strings attached (ie aid only with the promise of privatization = "friendlier" form of colonialism) and providing cheap/free medicine and aid for AIDS treatments and prevention would be a damn good start. But heck, no major oil sites, not a strategic geographical location, no (known or siginificant) nuclear capabilites, populations so poor that money is god (therefore not commies) and one of the fastest growing regions for Catholicism - so...who gives a shit?

Africa is an incredible continent with so many resources to offer the world and everyone will suffer if no one does anything to get shit right over there.

What the fuck does homeland mean these days anyway? (this is somewhat a rhetorical question) Every border has been re-adjusted a hundred times over. I can be from Toledo for all I know.

So what is this great idea you speak of? That everyone from Kansas will be kicked out or given 1/100 of the land to live on so all ex-slaves and their descendants can move in? Is this idea modeled after the success story known as Israel or the reservations scattered throughout North America?

PS. 8 million Rwandans killed in less than five months in 1994. Say what?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

So what is this great idea you speak of? That everyone from Kansas will be kicked out or given 1/100 of the land to live on so all ex-slaves and their descendants can move in? Is this idea modeled after the success story known as Israel or the reservations scattered throughout North America?

I've been missunderstood. This is not "a great idea I speak of". I mentioned it as something that has been put forward in an attempt to answear an earlier question. I have never studied Black nationalism.

Here is a quote and a link:
    These 19th century Black Nationalist leaders such as Denmark Vessey, Nat Turner, David Walker, Henry Highland Garnet, James T. Holly, Martin Delany, Pap Singleton, Edwin McCabe, and Henry McNeal Turner understood that African people in America were a "nation within a nation" and should organize to collectively struggle for the liberation of Black people in this country and throughout the world.

Dan

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

I know! I was being sarcastic!