New Beastie Boys LP

StoneHandsStoneHands 341 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
Is incredible, especially as a full listen. Sonically magnificent - spring reverbs, thick drums, all sorts of delays, im sure tape was involved as well. The songs are awesome, the energy was great. And its super cohesive. Its like they combined the tightness of the 5 boroughs record with the aesthetic of Check Your Head/Ill Communication. Anyways, what do you guys think?

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Last few things they've done have been terrible and, even though Beasties are forever tite to me, I'm not checking for them.

But I've heard several really good things about this album from people who's opinions I trust. So I'll probably go buy it soon.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I agree. It's fantastic.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    Herm said:
    I agree. It's fantastic.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    The beasties lost me when mix master mike came on board but this new lp so far seems good.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    jammy said:
    but the full length thong

• CinisterCeeCinisterCee 863 Posts
    am I the only one that didn't like that promo "comedy" vid?

CinisterCee said:

I liked the trailer but the full length thong was kinds lame

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    CinisterCee said:
    i am sure there would be others on the strut, i know a few people that would hate it iff they had seen it or not too. I thought it was very well done though, despite my initial misgivings before actually watching it.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    I'm really digging the first single, "Make Some Noise."

Make some noise if you're with me...

• Options
    here here

haven't heard the new Beastie's...

...I'm more into Northern, classical, and motion picture scores these days

;-)

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    This record is getting lots of support so far. I've only heard a couple songs, but I suspect it's on point. I think you'll hear "return to form" and "best since Ill Communication" quite a bit in the next few weeks...

• NorthernDealer10 said:
    here here

haven't heard the new Beastie's...

...I'm more into Northern, classical, and motion picture scores these days

;-)

damn, dude. you're really persistent!

:get_on_my_level:

and yeah, this new bb shit is pretty cool

• dirtydirty 93 Posts
    Almond said:

That funky clavi riff is THICK!!!!

• dirtydirty 93 Posts
    Almond said:

That funky clavi riff is THICK!!!!

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Guys, I gotta say, it's not very good at all in my opinion, and I love the Beastie Boys. There are 2 decent tracks in "nonstop disco powerpack" and the oddly titled "multilateral nuclear disarmament". Other than that, the lp sounds dated (ie, more of the same 90s BB sound), or just unlistenable with the hokey experimentation in some of the tracks.

Sadly, I think this is the end of Beastie Boys right here. It would surprise me if they release anything after this one.

Kindly,
    parallax

parallax, i fear you may be 100% correct in your post.
    i think at the very least it's cool that they are still going and that new, younger listeners might have the urge to check out some of the back catalogue.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    jammy said:

Strut's new god.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    So yeah, I ride for this Beasties album... finally some decent music I can rock, that's new, and not "Intergalactic" that gets people amped... and you can segue into a lot of stuff off the weirder tracks on the album. Definitely a good return to form for them, and they keeps it real!

djsheep said:
    jammy said:

Strut's new god.

who's the god? parallax or myself?

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    i'm liking this quite a bit. the LP shall be copped... there is definitely a couple tracks that can be played out.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    jammy said:
    The beasties lost me when mix master mike came on board but this new lp so far seems good.

Mike fuckin killed it on Hello Nasty.

Grandfather said:
    jammy said:

Mike fuckin killed it on Hello Nasty.

i agree, but i dunno. it just felt like they started running out of steam around this point. mike was carrying the dead weight or something.

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    MMM did wonders for their live show, though...

Like what I've heard so far and will be copping. BBoys por vida.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    I really like it. (the LP)

The video is hokey and not nearly as funny as I was lead to believe from the trailer. I did laugh when John C Reily smelt his finger though.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    not too into it. wayyy better than the 5 boroughs, couple of instrumental jams ala In Sound From Way Out / Ill Communication, sonically a step in the right direction, but overall not a patch on Hello Nasty, their last good record post-greatest hits.

makes me want to dig out paul's boutique again tho, so thats a good thing.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    I think they should move into just producing. The beats all sound promising, but lyrically they've lost some energy... would agree that Hello Nasty was their last good album, but as a Beastie Boys lp, it wasn't that great, and yeah, Mix Master Mike brought the intangable 'X' that saved it from being quite mediocre. I wish they'd left more of Hello Nasty instrumental and just let MMM go gaga with the scratches instead.
    [old man talk] Going back to my casette days, I liberally sprinkled in some Anti-Theft Device to beef up my taped copy of Hello Nasty.[/old man talk]

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Enjoying the new video.

Seemed like I just watched Team America part II.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    its a good album for cleaning the house to or ride the subway to work.

im old so i like the old school rhyme delivery that sounded stale 15 years ago from them

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    batmon said:
    its a good album for cleaning the house to

I cleaned my house to it yesterday, in fact.