What Color Is... (OG Check Plz)

doisndoisn baleadas&pupuzas 303 Posts
edited April 2011 in Strut Central
Can somebody please tell how to def. distinct the OG first Press from the later one?

Discogs doesnt seem to be accurate here, there??s two different labels:

im assuming the first one is but have no source to prove so. anybody?

Comments

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    The GRT is likely the first press since All Platinum didn't acquire the Chess/Cadet label until the mid 70s.

• doisndoisn baleadas&pupuzas 303 Posts
    ^yeah, this sounds reasonable. but besides that? I remember seeing a Dynaflex press aswell?

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    The thickness of the vinyl depends on the pressing plant. I have a blue fade copy of Freedom Means by The Dells that isn't as rigid as my copy of The Heatin' System by Jack McDuff with the pink and yellow labels.

• doisndoisn baleadas&pupuzas 303 Posts
    just found this:

The company was briefly run by Marshall Chess, son of Leonard, in his position as vice-president between January and October 1969, and then as president, following its acquisition by GRT, before he went on to found Rolling Stones Records. In 1969, the Chess brothers sold the label to General Recorded Tape (GRT) for $6.5 million. In October 1969, Leonard Chess died and by 1972, the only part of Chess Records still operating in Chicago was the recording studio, Ter-Mar Studios.
    Although Chess had produced many R&B number ones and major pop hits over the years, it was in 1972 that the label finally reached the top of the Billboard Hot 100 with Chuck Berry's "My Ding-A-Ling", a live recording from a concert in Manchester, England. However, this became the company's 'swansong' release. GRT had moved the label to New York City, operating it as a division of Janus Records. Under GRT, Chess effectively vanished as an important force in the recording industry. In August 1975, GRT sold what remained of Chess Records to New Jersey-based All Platinum Records.

Case Solved, Thanks Guys!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I uploaded those cover/label pics for the second press. Small world.