Post-tornado roll call? We all good out there?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited April 2011 in Strut Central
Didn't see a thread yet on this but just wanted to make sure Strutters in AL, GA, MS, etc. are all good and accounted for?

Some of our closest friends live in Tuscaloosa and the tornado there apparently "jumped" their neighborhood and they were very very very lucky to have been spared. The videos I've seen of the tornados are beyond imagination - not unlike the live tsunami footage from the other month - in size and destructive force.

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Thanks.
    Thought about posting this when I heard the news this morning, but by the time I was on the computer I was only thinking of myself.

I hope all are safe.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    I live in tornado alley so it comes with the territory, but witnessing the footage of the Tuscaloosa storm reminded me of the F5 tornado that hit Moore, OK. Those winds were clocked at 315 mph at times. The Tuscaloosa storm looks like it may come close given the time it stayed on the ground and the extensive amount of damage. My thoughts are with all those who lost loved ones in the storms.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    stratasphere said:
    I live in tornado alley so it comes with the territory, but witnessing the footage of the Tuscaloosa storm reminded me of the F5 tornado that hit Moore, OK. Those winds were clocked at 315 mph at times. The Tuscaloosa storm looks like it may come close given the time it stayed on the ground and the extensive amount of damage. My thoughts are with all those who lost loved ones in the storms.

I mentally cannot grasp the idea of what a mile wide tornado would look like (even though I've seen pictures and videos...that span is just hard to comprehend)

They showed survey footage after the Moore, OK tornado where it crossed an asphalt road and cut into the asphalt. There was no enhanced Fujita scale at that time so that was sheer wind power. It was actually clocked at 318 mph. There's old video footage on youtube. I wish I could locate the dead man walking picture with the multiple vortices before it converged into the wedge tornado. Scary as hell.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    This is one of the scariest videos I've ever seen

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    My best friend growing up moved to Alabama to get his master's at Auburn U. Yesterday a tornado came within 1 mile of his house. Glad you are safe, homie!

Hope strutteurs are weathering this shit safely.

Thoughts to families affected by these horrendous natural calamities.

Rockadelic said:
    This is one of the scariest videos I've ever seen

May 1999 all over again.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Unimaginable. Death toll now at 300, hope it doesn't get much higher.

Dead man walking from an F5 tornado that struck Jarrell, TX. Can't find the Moore, OK pic. It was more menacing than this one.
    Attached files