New York April 2011

llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
edited April 2011 in Strut Central
Just back from eight days in New York. My girlfriend worked from the New York office of her company meaning that I had four days dedicated digging time. We rented an apartment in Williamsburg through airbnb.com overlooking Mccarran Park and with awesome views of the Manhattan skyline.

I managed to get to most of the record stores in Manhattan and Williamsburg with the highlights being Big City Records, Good Records, A1 and Acadamy. All of these places gave me some good trades and are all friendly and welcoming.

Also made a trip over to Princeton Record Exchange. I had heard tales of this place for the last 15 years so was pretty excited to finally get to visit it. I'm sure that once upon a time this place was amazing, right now though it was awful. Even the average stores in NY were better in my experience than PRE. I know that record stores can be great depending on the day you visit, however, the stock was weak and much smaller than I had expected. I won't be making the trip out there again.

Also hit a few thrift and junk stores including Junk in Williamsburg and the legendary Thing in Greenpoint Brooklyn. Junk had a few decent things although condition was a real issue. The Thing is fun to see and dig through for an hour or so but is huge and picked over, if you have the patience though I'm sure there are still gems to be had there.

Outside of records the best thing I did by a mile was to go and see Robin Williams on Broadway in A Bengal Tiger in a Baghdad Zoo. He was amazing! Highly recommended to anyone in NY.

Saw this guy being interviewed on the street, can't think of his name and its driving me mad!! (Not the best picture!)

Also saw this in a window in Williamsburg which made me laugh!

And so to the finds, let me know if you have any questions.