Record Stores In Canada (Ontario) Between Buffalo and Detroit???

behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
edited April 2011 in Strut Central
any spots to check out while i am driving through?

it is uncharted territory for me

suggestions?

Comments

• Toronto used to be a great town for records, although i haven't been in a few years. it is prolly worth the trip if only to go to cosmos but make sure you bring plenty of cash/trade fodder for aki.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    Toronto used to be a great town for records, although i haven't been in a few years. it is prolly worth the trip if only to go to cosmos but make sure you bring plenty of cash/trade fodder for aki.

i'm not gonna be that far north though. i am gonna be south of the lake on my way to Detroit from Buffalo. so like in the middle of nowhere Ontario. Hamilton, London etc...

i looked some spots up but just seeing if there is anything or anyone i should see...

• There's a tiny almost hidden away spot in Niagara Falls (on the Canadian side) where the guy has got a fair sized oddball collection of early industrial type ish, plus strangely enough his dollar bin (actually $2 bin) is comprised of the type of rock you would expect to see for $10+ at most places (Floyd, Hendrix, etc.) If you're looking for any funk or jazz though Ontario isn't the best place you want to be looking in the first place.

behemoth: If you're grabbing a lot of stuff at Cosmos you might want to check out the place that just opened February on Queen East just a bit West of Discovery Records.

• There's a tiny almost hidden away spot in Niagara Falls (on the Canadian side) where the guy has got a fair sized oddball collection of early industrial type ish, plus strangely enough his dollar bin (actually $2 bin) is comprised of the type of rock you would expect to see for $10+ at most places (Floyd, Hendrix, etc.) If you're looking for any funk or jazz though Ontario isn't the best place you want to be looking in the first place.

crabmongerfunk: If you're grabbing a lot of stuff at Cosmos you might want to check out the place that just opened February on Queen East just a bit West of Discovery Records.

• andoando 5 Posts
    Howdy

If you're down in London you can check out Village Idiot and Speed City records. The Idiot carries clean stuff all over the map, you might pay NM prices for NM records or catch a deal depending on the day, always good to check though! He is in the middle of a great collection being put on the floor so watch out! Speed City is a great place to check out, the proprietor Mike is a punk guy but the bins range all over as well, his dollar bin is usually stacked with a few peices. I would recommend checking out either shop, we also have Grooves in downtown London if you're looking for reissues I ALWAYS have condition issues on used at Grooves but if you spend some time you can come up... BTW Speed City and the Idiot have some crazy weird record dude shit going on between them, so probably not a good idea to mention either shop in the others presence...

Ando

• based on your two American stop points, you'll be hitting Niagara, Brantford, st Catherines, Hamilton, London and Windsor..... the first two cities are a bust, but the other four are big university towns with two or three record spots each. you MAY be able to pull there, focus London and the Hammer. don't forget to ask for goodwills and salvation army's.

• VintageInfants: Do you know specifically of anywhere in St. Catharines? I know there are tons of antique store/flea market type joints in the Jordan Station-Beamsville area if you're willing to venture far enough off the Q.E. but I've scouted St. Catharines a few times over the years and always came up empty handed

• i pulled medium raers at a place called niagara records exchange [or something like that] in st catherines, i think i remember a place called 'stations' or 'station to station' that had a bit of heat if you didn't mind digging. you're not going to find something remarkable, and you'll have to do a fair share of digging, but for the most part it hasn't been picked over too much. good place to re-up from G's to VG+'s.