Internet Radio Stations (Hip-Hop) - Payola Related

jleejlee 1,539 Posts
edited April 2011 in Strut Central
okay, not really Payola related.

so i friend of mine from my college days that is an A&R (does that term even exist anymore) for a well known indie label reached out to me re: hip-hop internet radio stations. apparently the label recently signed a group and is looking for stations that may appeal to that market.

aside from being mad disconnected these days (my music industry-insider pass has loooong since expired), i was curious if this is the way labels/artists go these days (that is, try and reach out to internet radio as opposed to "regular" radio).

so my question(s) to the Strut massive:

1. what internet radio stations exist that appeal to hip-hop heads. Aside from obvious like Pandora and NYC centric EVR and Rub radio, I don't have the first clue as to what is out there.
2. if you were an aspiring Band, would you reach out to these stations, or would you be more inclined to hit up blogs/sites that appeal to your market. with the current music = free mind state, i would think those looking for new music are more likely to hit up blogs than internet radio sites.
3. if anyone is connected with any such site, holler at the PMs.

FYI, apparently the group in question is the Seattle based Shabazz Palaces (which include dude from Digable Planets). I guess they've been around for a few, but this is the first time I heard them. Video/song I heard sounds exactly as I remember Digable Planets.

Comments

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    i have a radio show on viva-radio...

www.viva-radio.com/cleanandhumble

we play new hip hop... i get sent promo stuff....... i think the advantage of radio promo versus blogs is that with radio promo there is still potential for people to hear it and buy it... with blogs, it's leaked and that's that... so, some promo stuff i get says "DO NOT POST ON BLOGS" or "POST ONLY 192 version", etc etc...

listned to that clip, not sure if i would play that track...