Crawfish-Houston
Sausage-Houston
Mexican-Houston
Charcuterie-Houston
Indian-Houston
Nose-to-tail-Houston
Vietnamese-Houston
Vegan-CA

The only thing I can't get in Houston that I miss from living in Cali are "It's it's" and all you can drink sake at Coach Sushi (Oakland).

This is mostly hyperbole, but Houston is no joke on the food tip. I lived in the bay for a couple of years, can't really speak on LA, but I'd take Houston food over almost anywhere in the US. There might be other cities that do one or two things better than here, but few other localities offer as many great cuisines done well.

From Bon Appetit:
Is Houston's multicultural dining scene the country's best-kept food secret? I knew the city has its share of good Mexican, solid BBQ, and cool places with big-name chefs at the stove. But I didn't expect to find strip malls filled with the best Southeast Asian food I've ever eaten, Indian-inspired chicken wings that won a spot in my bar food hall of fame, or a $14 value meal of pig's-ear cake and braised pork cheeks. Who knew that, dish after dish, I'd be scribbling "Wish I could get this back home!" in my notebook?

Read More http://www.bonappetit.com/magazine/2011/05/houston-travel-guide#ixzz1JzmGBdy6

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    New York City has a couple of good restaurants.

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:

New York, CA?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    barjesus said:
    DB_Cooper said:

New York, CA?

England. I'm pretty sure they just washed the original York and repackaged it though.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    "I keep you full like a Timmy Chan wing dinner"...

HarveyCanal said:
    "I keep you full like a Timmy Chan wing dinner"...

Awready

"I had to make a quick change from Lunchables and a spot on the bus/to eating at Pappadeaux's everyday and a Suburban with bump"...

"You can catch us at Pappadeaux's eating steak and shrimp"...

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    fyi, it's it arent readily available outside of northern ca.

off the top of my head la prolly destroys houston in the korean food dept.

as far as regional ethnic foods, you cant really compete with new york or LA. though id say houston is prolly 3rd just based on sheer volume.

grandpa_shig said:
    fyi, it's it arent readily available outside of northern ca.

Damn, them hoes are good! They should be everywhere.

grandpa_shig said:
    off the top of my head la prolly destroys houston in the korean food dept.

We have a cluster of great Korean food in the Longpoint Rd. area, but I think LA probably does get the win on this one. Purely speculation on my part, I've never eaten Korean in LA except from a taco truck.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    is there such a thing as fine dining in houston that does not involve steak?

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I'm not going to hate on Houston, but I will hate on Bon Appetit.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I'll hate on vegans, too.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Some Continental customer service manager threatened to call the cops on me twice last time I was in Houston. He made reference to 'Air Guacamole' when we inquired about other airlines possibly getting us the fuck out of there and on to Buenos Aires. Not saying anything about anything, except that they clearly have zero knowledge of South American food.

phongone said:
    is there such a thing as fine dining in houston that does not involve steak?

Yes.

SportCasual said:
    Some Continental customer service manager threatened to call the cops on me twice last time I was in Houston. He made reference to 'Air Guacamole' when we inquired about other airlines possibly getting us the fuck out of there and on to Buenos Aires. Not saying anything about anything, except that they clearly have zero knowledge of South American food.

He was probably referring to this airline, I don't know, but it doesn't look very safe...

Double

barjesus said:
    BBQ-Houston
    Crawfish-Houston
    Sausage-Houston
    Mexican-Houston
    Charcuterie-Houston
    Indian-Houston
    Nose-to-tail-Houston
    Vietnamese-Houston
    Vegan-CA

i think it can easily be argued that there are better options for all of these outside of houston. though i think a case can be made for the bbq and maybe crawfish, but even the crayfish can be argued over in the other gulf states.

grandpa_shig said:
    barjesus said:
    BBQ-Houston
    Crawfish-Houston
    Sausage-Houston
    Mexican-Houston
    Charcuterie-Houston
    Indian-Houston
    Nose-to-tail-Houston
    Vietnamese-Houston
    Vegan-CA

i think it can easily be argued that there are better options for all of these outside of houston. though i think a case can be made for the bbq and maybe crawfish, but even the crayfish can be argued over in the other gulf states.

Find another place that excels at all of these, not just one or two and I'll happily eat there.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    I grew up in Houston and live in NYC now. The thing that I miss most about that city is the Vietnamese food. And the Indian food. oh yeah and the BBQ and Mexican food.

just NOwhere near the same up here.

:roar: :roar: :roar:

im just playing the odds but id guess there is better sausage in states like wisconsin and illinois, mexican in LA, san diego, tucson, the charcuterie you shouldnt even mention cuz there is always new york, same with the nose to head nonsense, come on you know theres a huge market for that bullshit in nyc, indian in both jackson heights and artesia would definitely be better, VN in garden grove.

like i said earlier arguments can be made for bbq and crayfish, but that is just up to regional tastes in things.

grandpa_shig said:
    im just playing the odds but id guess there is better sausage in states like wisconsin and illinois, mexican in LA, san diego, tucson, the charcuterie you shouldnt even mention cuz there is always new york, same with the nose to head nonsense, come on you know theres a huge market for that bullshit in nyc, indian in both jackson heights and artesia would definitely be better, VN in garden grove.

like i said earlier arguments can be made for bbq and crayfish, but that is just up to regional tastes in things.

Cool, so CA can only compete with Mexican food, huh? And you've had to create some kind of horrible Frankenstein of States to compete with a single city. That said, I stand by my original premise.

oh i see. well then new york and la could beat houston in any and all of those categories. and thats just based on the ethnicities that you limited this to. maybe if you expanded your criteria you would see how feeble houston would match up.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    :FOODIE_FIGHT!:

grandpa_shig said:
    oh i see. well then new york and la could beat houston in any and all of those categories. and thats just based on the ethnicities that you limited this to. maybe if you expanded your criteria you would see how feeble houston would match up.

Stop lying, there's no BBQ in CA and I'm not paying $20/lb for crawfish there either. Also, again, New York isn't in CA.

there are 2 main regions of southern bbq in the la area. the manchester corridor in south central and the san fernando valley in like van nuys to about northridge. not to mention korean bbq, japanese yakitori, al carbon, brazilian. though there is no distinct regional edge to la bbq, there is every type of bbq in los angeles just like there is every type of central american food (even broken down by states), every type of chinese food broken down by region and cities. also taiwanese, burmese, singaporean, malaysian, pilipino, cambodian, laotian, bangladeshi, sri lankan, persian, lebanese, israeli, iranian, to name just a few. all of which would eclipse anything houston could put up. islamic chinese, hakka pickles, northern thai (weird offals type shit), southern and northern vietnamese, chinese-vietnamese, russian, eastern european, greek, turkish, not to mention any of the more fancy countries like fronce and spain, portugal, cuba, haiti, jamaican, peruvian, colombian, and the list goes on.

Sounds yummy

"Never underestimate the heart of a champion." - Rudy T

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    mayn hol up! everytime i go back to houston all we do is eat. wake up, eat. poop, eat. get in the car, go eat. lay around for a while until somebody calls me up and asks what we doin, and say they wanna go eat, so we go eat. rinse and repeat.

i don't know about LA, but you get a lot of food for your buck in houston.

also, houston's always in the runnin for fattest city in america.

• My Dad's tougher than your Dad.