playing MP4 video on a DVD player?

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited April 2011 in Strut Central
I've just spent hours googling this shit and can't seem to figure out how to do this:

I've edited together some 5 and a half hours of video in imovie. This is stuff I plan on using for video projections at a party. If I save the footage as mp4 without an audio track, I get a file size of only 1,2 GB, even in 768x576 resolution.

Now I can't seem to be able to get this onto a DVDR that will play in any of my 5 different dvd players.

I've tried two of those mp4 to dvd programs and they all tell me they need over 11 GB of disc space so I'm guessing they want to covert the mp4 to a standard DVD format (mpeg2?).

This is causing me a serious headache.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Frank

Comments

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    my DVD player won't play mp4 at all, only .AVI...

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    p_gunn said:
    my DVD player won't play mp4 at all, only .AVI...

Thanx! Will try this next.

Frank

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    cookbook said:

If only it would be this simple... regardless what the actual file size is, iDVD won't let you burn anything onto DVDR that's longer than standard length...

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    Frank said:
    cookbook said:

If only it would be this simple... regardless what the actual file size is, iDVD won't let you burn anything onto DVDR that's longer than standard length...

weird, either way, (as stated above) I guess AVI is a good next step to try.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    cant u just line up your mp4 shots on imovie and then output it to idvd and use the wizard? i thought that was an automatic function.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Do you know what brand dvd player you are going to be using?
    Lots are DIVX compatible, so you could just set the divx codec on the MP4 before outputting.

^
    thats a good fix. those divx dvd players are only like $20 or something.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    grandpa_shig said:
    cant u just line up your mp4 shots on imovie and then output it to idvd and use the wizard? i thought that was an automatic function.

What's a wizard?

Thing is I want to keep it in one file so it just plays through for 5 1/2 hours without having to select another clip on the menu or changing discs.

I guess the best bet is to go to J&R tomorrow morning and buy a mp4 compatible player...

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    grandpa_shig said:
    ^
    thats a good fix. those divx dvd players are only like $20 or something.

Alright, I guess that's it... thanx!

you might want to run a few tests on a smaller clip just to make sure all your settings are right. the codec will be your main issue. also, those divx dvd players often have a usb port and then you wont have to go through a buttload of dvdr's.

• Most DVDs have to use MPEG-2 or DivX, if you try to directly burn MP4 to DVD or your DVD burner app has no function of converting MP4 to MPEG-2, DivX, you will fail to burn MP4 to DVD disc.

Even if you have successfully burn MP4 to DVD without converting, you will still encounter issues in playing MP4 on DVD player: Regular standalone DVD players can only read movie DVD's (those are in MPEG-2, and if you view them in Windows Explorer, you see a folder structure with VIDEO_TS, and files like .VOB .IFO and .BUP). Newer DVD players that are DivX-certified can (in addition to the above) read data DVD???s with an AVI file encoded in the DivX codec. Most of the time, you will fail to play MP4 on DVD player unless the DVD players have the "Nero Digital" label on them.

In order to burn MP4 to DVD for successfully playing on various DVD players, we had better find a powerful MP4 to DVD Video Converter which will automatically convert MP4 to DVD disc or DVD player compatible format.

Step by step guide at http://www.idealshare.net/video-converter/solution-on-mp4-wont-play-on-dvd-player.html

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    Frank said:
    cookbook said:

Sounds like right now it's encoding your video to the highest resolution, which results in a file that's too big to burn onto a dvd. I don't remember where it is on iDVD, but you have to change the encoding settings. You have to set it to something like "best performance" rather than highest quality or whatever the default is. This will result in a lower resolution video but it should try to fit it all in one disc.

you can get a new dvd player that plays mp4s but you'll still have to check the codec you're using, they'll play most formats but not most codecs. I know it's confusing, I run into this problem all the time when I'm trying to convert videos to watch on my PS3. Making a dvd is the only sure-fire solution.

• Does DVD-players that can play from a USB / flash drive exist?

dreskieboogie said:
    Does DVD-players that can play from a USB / flash drive exist?

I believe they do.

just realized this thread was from 2011 and got bumped kind of randomly.

• Try until it get solved. this is a solution too. http://www.firecoresoft.com/dvd-solutions/convert-mp4-to-dvd.html

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    just realized this thread was from 2011 and got bumped kind of randomly.

I got excited thinking Shig was back. :-(