rap n rhythm with al gee..who's seen this?

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
yet another record that intrigues me, scanned off the sleeve of a record i picked up today:IMG src=http://www.boomspeed.com/fannywagon/algee.jpg>has anybody seen this? sounds like its just a dj who talks inbetween r&b hits or something, but still looks interesting. 1974.

Comments

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    yeah dude I saw that on ebay last week while looking for a Moments lp and I wondered about it too. that cover is amazing to say the least.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I found that sleeve that had a different record of the same style, except with pop or rock tunes on it. The music wasn't anything special, just your average radio songs with the guy speaking between them. But the cover is dope.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I think dude was an Army DJ or something. The shows were recorded then re-broadcast for soldiers overseas. I have 2 or 3 different broadcasts. Each one features 3-4 different bands. I'm sure somebody on here can give you a lot more info than me, though.

Herm

• I think dude was an Army DJ or something. The shows were recorded then re-broadcast for soldiers overseas. I'm sure somebody on here can give you a lot more info than me, though.

Herm

yeah something like that. he also interviews the artists (ralph mcdaniels and some others) in between their music. there's a few. i've always passed tho.

• yea i think there are 4 or 5 (probably more) installments of this series. This one is George Benson, Thelma Houston, Al Jarreau, and Ronnie Limar from Sept-Oct of '76. Interview and music. Has an NPR type vibe. The George Benson and Ronnie Limar dialogue is pretty good. And i cant recall the song title, but the first George Benson cut has a popular sample on the intro.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    It was an Army Reserve radio show. The LPs were intended for rebroadcast by local stations. Mine has music by and interviews with Disco Tex, The Chambers Brothers, Ronnie Dyson and Marlena Shaw. The shows were recorded from December of '76 and January of '77. It's pretty dope.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I don't know if it's his eyes or what, but that cover is yes indeedy

• i bought this record just for the cover a couple years ago. would make a dope tshirt if that pic doesn't make you feel weird (in a demonic) kinda way.

• VitaminVitamin 631 Posts
    I have this record. It's four spots recorded for Army radio featuring Van McCoy, Fatback, Rare Earth and Midnight Band sans Gil Scott Heron. They were meant to be played in September 1975. Each side is a half hour spot with interviews of the band and these goofy PSAs targeted to get black people to join the army. They are the best part really besides the Midnight band interview. One of the slogans is "Get paid for going to meetings." The material is not exclusive but it's pretty cool.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i bought this record just for the cover a couple years ago. would make a dope tshirt if that pic doesn't make you feel weird (in a demonic) kinda way.

i'd change his eye color. otherwise too creepy

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    I'm feelin the eyes-- would make it stand out at least.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    same type of propaganda, but this one was for recruiting doctors....

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    I came accross the entire catalog of these one time. I only bought the one that features Cymande and Robin Kenyata. Pretty good stuff in my opinion. Al Gee plays 'the message' (among others) and then interviews the band.

I probably should have bought more since they were only $3 a piece.

-k

There was probably 15 or 20 that I saw.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    wow, so before he had a show on HBO Ali G was black and had green eyes and worked for the Army? crazy.