If Niles & McNeal's Thrust had been reissued today...

buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
edited April 2011 in Strut Central
Do you think there would have been an effort made to keep the original cover art intact? Has the vanguard of diggers' culture finally moved beyond its long standing pre-reqs that everything must be musically funky and design schooled visually? A follow up question: A criteria long held by the collector culture has been that gospel music contain funk or dance club sensibilities to be taken seriously , but in 2011, has straight gospel finally supplanted gospel-funk as the preeminent form amongst listeners at the forefront of modern day digging?

Comments

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    id certainly hope so. i understand making a new cover when it's a release of material that was never available in album form, but when the album already had a cover, whats the point of chaning it? i personally hated the cover for the reissue.

maybe to make it more appealing to the general public? the original cover isnt as immediately "exciting" to most people i guess, but i personally love it.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I don't think anyone is pushing straight gospel hard enough yet. Dudes must still be building their collections and sorting out what's really good. Where are the comps/mixes from prominent collectors/taste-makers/reissue labels? I'm ready to hear some.

• i've been wondering when the definitive modern gospel compilation will drop. and i don't mean definitive as this is the canon but here's an assortment of gems that will make indie rock guy reconsider gosppel.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    herbacios tweed said:
    i've been wondering when the definitive modern gospel compilation will drop. and i don't mean definitive as this is the canon but here's an assortment of gems that will make indie rock guy reconsider gosppel.

Mississippi has BEEN putting these out already, "Oh Graveyard You Can't Hold Me Always" is pretty incredible. They've done a few others, and if the "Fire In My Bones" 3x cd thing would've been better selected and trimmed down to 1 cd it woiuld be amazing.