Who likes Mystery Science Theater 3000?

ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
It was unfortunately taken off the air several years ago, but I remember how funny this stuff is. The live action skits are stupid for the most part, though. For fans of the series, which is your favorite episode/movie? Personally, mine is where they make fun of Manos: The Hands Of Fate, the boring as all hell and obscure, 60s Texas based film with the big knee-having derelect inn keeper, the caped guy and his group of beautiful half-dead, white gowned wives who haunt a family of three stranded in the desert. The 50s-era short movies are hillarious too.

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    dunno, but the "Alien from LA" one was hilarioius. They were just savage on Kathy Ireland.

+ the one with "Trumpe" where this little boy befriends some harry alien thing that thinks everything is a potato. Don't know what it was called but that shit was funny.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    santa claus conquers the martians !

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    love it!

• dsandersdsanders 495 Posts
    Manos: Hands Of Fate

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    My housemate is an obsessive fan - he had the same 18 episodes on VHS for years and years, and literally watched them every night, usually around 3AM. When I first lived with him, I would get all bummed out when he would play them when I was around...but as time passed they slowly won me over. I showed him he could buy bootleg DVD's of the entire run on eBay, and we've had the first fresh episodes in a long time. Watched Kitten with a Whip with Ann Margaret the other day, that one was hilarious, although you could have watched that movie for laughs without Servo & Crow. One of my favorites is I think called "Final Sacrifice," and has a character named Zapp Rowsdower - a Canadian film from the early 80's. And there's this Western from the 50's that I have watched like 6 times and always laugh. I still can't stomach much of the studio stuff, especially the Dr. & Frank characters, but some of the bits are really funny, the early ones with Joel in particular. One of the reasons I gave it a chance was because I remembered Joel from his standup on Letterman in the 80's, he was a really funny prop comic who would just come out with a bag of junk and do bits for whatever he pulled out.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    love it!

• ja_bruceja_bruce 295 Posts
    SIDEHACK

• spcspc 534 Posts
    I like the original movies, but not what they've done to them, that makes it unwatchable for me.

• PSellersPSellers 157 Posts
    I love mst3k but have only seen 2 of them; Manos: The Hands Of Fate and This Island Earth, both were great.

A little treat for you guys

Mr Spleen

has most episodes on torrent. I got Manos from here and will get some more before long.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    Does anyone remember the MST3K full length movie that came out in the theaters? I never saw it. Review please?

• Mitchell - with Joe Don Baker

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    ^^ Yeah, that one, the Joe Don action was a riot. I also remember some Swedish Hercules movie that was

The movie was funny, but there are funnier episodes/movies.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    Does anyone remember the MST3K full length movie that came out in the theaters? I never saw it. Review please?

not their best effort,

joel had the edge over mike,
    most skits were weak,

but when they showed those
    educational "shorts"

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

not their best effort,

joel had the edge over mike,
    most skits were weak,

educational "shorts"

I liked the show with Joel, but I think I like it in theory more than practice. After all, I grew up on ACTUAL Horror Hosts and goofy movies from the 60s and 70s, so the idea of an ironic twist is fun, but gets pretty old pretty fast. Especially with that Mike dude.

Interesting fact, Joel Hodgeson and I went to the same small Christian college in St paul, MN (he was there several years ahead of me but I met his brother).
    Where's the "NAME DROPPER" graemlin?

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    love it!

its all i watched as a young'n

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    i like when they make the old car noises.
    pblublubklepperfshwibshwib

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    educational "shorts"

Those are downright fucking hysterical. The one that was basically a recruiting film to get women to go to college...so they could major in home ec and become even better docile housewives was straight classic. I also really liked the Gamera episode and the one with (I think) The Lost City or some shit like that (the one filmed in Alberta, Canada and starring a mulleted hero named Rowsdour).

• I'll never forget, they had one with a Gumby short. Hilarious.

There was also one where they kept making fun of a guy with a cardigan and kept singing Prince lyrics when there was an actor that look exactly like him. Classic.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Mitchell - with Joe Don Baker

Was there a soundtrack to this one? Looking back at it last night, the opening theme is nice clavinet funk. The ripping apart of Final Justice was better than Mitchell, in my opinion, though

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    "Oh, Mitchell!"

• ^^^BEST EVER!!!^^^[/b]