question re: Thin Lizzy lp cover minutia

jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
edited April 2011 in Strut Central
I know, right?

Anyway, on the inner sleeve for the just-okay Bad Reputation, on the side with the live photos, in the lower righthand corner is a small black and white photo of what appears to be a naked female body bleeding out onto a mattress strewn with magazines and other paraphernalia, and with white light pouring from her eye sockets. Even if it's staged, the Wee Gee/Manhunter/Joel-Peter Witkin vibes are heavy enough to render Phil Lynott's extra-tight janes the second-most disturbing thing about the whole presentation.

Does anyone have any idea what the fuck that's a picture of? Is it some "known" thing among the notoriously thorough Thin Lizzy fan community? What's really going on?

Comments

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

"i'm a friend of the Thin Lizzy Fan Community"

• i've been told its not staged. a chick in toronto hipped phil to a photographer who took crime scene photos and they used that shot.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    james said:

for the just-okay Bad Reputation

Album is waaaaaay better than "just okay".

• Mek_Jagger said:
    i've been told its not staged.

and if you're skeptical (understandable), the person i just asked is frankie murray. lizzy's tour manager.
    i didnt wanna put him on blast but just realised anyone could invent a bullshit response to that question.

edit - no idea whats goin on with the italics.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    james said:

for the just-okay Bad Reputation

Album is waaaaaay better than "just okay".

AGREEANCE

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Mek_Jagger said:
    Mek_Jagger said:
    i've been told its not staged.

and if you're skeptical (understandable), the person i just asked is frankie murray. lizzy's tour manager.
    i didnt wanna put him on blast but just realised anyone could invent a bullshit response to that question.

edit - no idea whats goin on with the italics.

Post on soulstrut about an obscure, microscopic, and decidely rockist matter, and within an hour get an answer straight from Thin Lizzy's tour manager. Un-fucking-real. Big thanks, Mek, for service far above and beyond.

The answer you got makes sense, too. It's such a wild image, and so anomalous, too--it defintely does have that laddish feel of, "Hey, check out this this crazy-ass picture I found--let's put it on the record somewhere." Not unlike Big Black's "Headache." The only reason I thought it might be staged is the otherworldly light emanating from the eyes, but I guess that could be some kind of reflection, I don't know.

And just to bring folks up to speed, this is the picture I'm talking about:

(possibly NSFW)

And as also referenced in my initial post, for the ladies of soulstrut, a palate-cleanser:

"Have any of you ladies in the crowd tonight got a little Irish in you?...."

"...Would you like a little more?"

As the one Terry Clubbup said in regard to an unrelated matter: "Damn, those pants show you everything but the breakfast."

Anyway, thanks again, Mek.

• No problem at all, happy to help join the dots. I'm forever asking him random Philo stuff anyway.
    He's a great character, managed the Pogues for many years too..
    stories you would not believe.

• Options
    Mek_Jagger said:
    No problem at all, happy to help join the dots. I'm forever asking him random Philo stuff anyway.
    He's a great character, managed the Pogues for many years too..
    stories you would not believe.

Love the Pogues. Please tell.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Sheet. What *is* with dem peeper doe?

• ^ no idea jim, i asked him and he just said 'art?'
    I cant look at that picture for more than a second or two, i keep expecting something to appear from the right hand side for some reason.

BobDesperado said:

> EDIT - i'll rephrase this bit - im not comfortable re-telling franks experiences on a public forum bob, if he wants to come on here and do it himself, cool.
    but yeah, if you need a hookup regarding the pogues gimme a shout. im cool with shane. all good.

there's a lizzy exhibition on in dublin right now, here's some dudes footage.

• Options
    Mek_Jagger said:

BobDesperado said:

> EDIT - i'll rephrase this bit - im not comfortable re-telling franks experiences on a public forum bob, if he wants to come on here and do it himself, cool.
    but yeah, if you need a hookup regarding the pogues gimme a shout. im cool with shane. all good.

there's a lizzy exhibition on in dublin right now, here's some dudes footage.

No problem, understood. Loved the video.

But I see hipsters have to be added to the Book of Invasions.

• BobDesperado said:

But I see hipsters have to be added to the Book of Invasions.

You know it. If it wasn't so fucking sad it would be funny.
    ps - your roots are showing. sl??n go f??ill a chara.

• not sure if any of the o.g. posters will see this but frank died just before christmas. funeral was today. finbar furey played 'the lonesome boatman' as the coffin was carried in. glen hansard sang the pogues 'rainy night in soho'. shane mcgowan was lookin' very frail in a wheelchair (his mother died yesterday).
    bob geldof was ...er... geldofing.
    frank had just started writing his book (been pestering him for years to do it) about his adventures with thin lizzy & the pogues. :(
    thought a few of you would like to know.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    not sure if any of the o.g. posters will see this but frank died just before christmas. funeral was today. finbar furey played 'the lonesome boatman' as the coffin was carried in. glen hansard sang the pogues 'rainy night in soho'. shane mcgowan was lookin' very frail in a wheelchair (his mother died yesterday).
    bob geldof was ...er... geldofing.
    frank had just started writing his book (been pestering him for years to do it) about his adventures with thin lizzy & the pogues. :(
    thought a few of you would like to know.

Mek, appreciate the update.  Sorry to hear the news. 

Also, FWIW, the peepers I sussed.  She was wearing glasses that reflected back the camera's flash.
    Mek_Jagger

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    We can't let the Strut die. Ever. 
    Mek_Jagger

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    any dude connected to the GbandOAT deserves utmost RIP
    dukeofdelridgeMek_Jagger