Marijata Karaoke

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited March 2011 in Strut Central

Sorry for the shameless plug... after fiddling with this all day yesterday and most of the night, I just have to share it. Hope it doesn't bore anybody to tears, it's not easy to make a 7+ minute clip with only a record cover and a dozen old photographs for visuals...

Comments

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Like. Where does this rank among your top Afro Funk LPs? I'm guessing in the top two or three?

I just bought the regular LP version. To be honest, I wasn't really feeling the brown border on the silkscreen limited version.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    musica said:
    I just bought the regular LP version. To be honest, I wasn't really feeling the brown border on the silkscreen limited version.

Actually the border is black, if that makes a difference.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Really? You might want to take another picture then.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    musica said:
    Like. Where does this rank among your top Afro Funk LPs? I'm guessing in the top two or three?

I think everybody with whom I talked about this agreed that this is the heaviest and deepest funk record ever to be recorded in West Africa. In terms of rawness and sheer power I don't think anything can compare. Even on a global level, the competition would be a tight one.

I know, this sounds like hyperbole but it's not. Of course where it rates in terms of African records in general is a question of personal taste but as far as funk goes, nothing rocks harder and more consistent than this record. Even the ballad has so much grit and soul, I wouldn't trust anybody who's not feeling it.

We kept the OG liner notes on the back cover which already sum it up nicely:

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Frank said:
    . Even the ballad has so much grit and soul, I wouldn't trust anybody who's not feeling it.

Nice work guys for putting this out there

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Horseleech, I just ordered the screen print lp today with no hiccups, but noticed earlier before I bought it, it was sold out???

Can we get ROB to be reissued?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Burns said:
    Horseleech, I just ordered the screen print lp today with no hiccups, but noticed earlier before I bought it, it was sold out???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROB-ANALOG-AFRICA-SUPER-RARE-GHANA-FUNK-LISTEN-/400204472746

Rob called me on the phone when I was in Accra Jan. 2010 and tried to make me sign both his records. I had already heard that Analog Africa had signed a contract with the owner of Essiebons records. Rob who had actually called me from the label owner's house, put him on the phone and they both said they hadn't signed anything even though a friend of mine had seen the contract with his own eyes some months earlier...

• ebaying a test pressing of an upcoming release is pretty smart pr stunt. hopefully the rob audio clips will make it to popsike.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Burns said:

I only put a certain number at a time on the website in case we sell a bunch in the store. I still have stock but they are going pretty fast.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Burns said:

The Kelenkye band: Moving World is another one dying for a re-ish. Soooo good.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    I highly recommend the (silkscreened) reissue of the Marijata LP. Looks great, plays great!

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    This a great too short of a record. "Break Through" has one helluva rhythm, what a song. Well done Voodoo/Academy.