ENKI Calls Out Wack Opening DJs

discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
edited March 2011 in Strut Central
http://blogs.sfweekly.com/shookdown/2011/03/how_to_be_an_opening_dj_by_oak.php
1. Don't play a bunch of obvious hits early in the night. First of all, it's lazy selection to do that, and lazy selection is the hallmark of a poor DJ. Besides, the opening slot is the best time to be an adventurous selector (more on that below). Beyond that, you may be taking arrows out of the headliner's quiver. Yes, everybody loves that hot new cut that's tearing up the clubs. So then why waste it by playing it so early in the night? Leave it unplayed and let the headliner get to it at just the right moment where instead of liking the song, the crowd goes berserk for it. Understand that the headliner is going to be starting where you leave off, so if you're already running a bunch of sure-shots, where is the headliner supposed to go from there? Build the energy up slowly.

2. Play the appropriate music. My friend's opening DJ was playing shrieky, fist-pumpy techno before the clock had even struck 11 p.m. My friend -- not a shrieky, fist-pumpy techno DJ by any stretch -- kept wondering, "Why doesn't he play some Tribe Called Quest? Some James Brown? Get people loose like that?" And fortunately, the relief opener did just that, but that first DJ failed to tailor his selection appropriately, and the party suffered for it.In this day and age, there's no excuse for not doing your homework on who the headliner is when things like Google and YouTube are right there at your fingertips. Learn about who you're opening for and adapt your set to the headliner's vibe. Versatility is the calling card of a quality DJ! A good opener should have some familiarity with the headliner and should be able to play a set that will allow for as seamless a transition from opener to headliner as possible. (Side note: Promoters bear some responsibility here as well, as they need to pick opening acts who are appropriate for the headliner. Don't just put your homie on, promoters -- put on the guy who's qualified to do the job!)

3. On the subject of versatility, treat the opening spot as an opportunity to showcase the depth of your knowledge and your music collection. Take the chance to play some great, obscure tunes that you probably couldn't play to a packed, enthusiastic dance floor. To me, that's one of the joys of being the opening DJ: You get to nerd out over music in front of a crowd and throw on those lesser-known cuts that you really love. Embrace that opportunity!

If you do your job and do it well, you will get noticed. The headliner will be much more likely to shout you out on the mic -- "Give it up for my man DJ Blahdy-blah, he did his thing earlier!" And the promoter will notice, believe me, which can only work to your benefit. If you prove that you're a capable professional, you will get put on, and the more you get put on, the easier it will be for you to be the headliner down the road.

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    musica said:

! A good opener should have some familiarity with the headliner and should be able to play a set that will allow for as seamless a transition from opener to headliner as possible.

I appreciate an opening act that is in contrast to the headliner. Headlinerlite aint making it.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    4. Don't even take a job doing a hip-hop slot if TROY, 3 Biggie songs, and Scenario are all you plan to play.

• hermes1hermes1 109 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    musica said:

! A good opener should have some familiarity with the headliner and should be able to play a set that will allow for as seamless a transition from opener to headliner as possible.

I appreciate an opening act that is in contrast to the headliner. Headlinerlite aint making it.

I don't think he meant it as headliner-lite.

One can still play a contrast set that works within the mood of the whole night.

If the headliner plays house and disco, you can start off the night with rare groove and hip-hop.

If the headliner is going to play hard Southern rap all night, you can lead off with a miami bass/80s hip-hop set.

There are tons of examples where you can play a contrast set that doesn't get into the territory described in the article.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    4. Don't even take a job doing a hip-hop slot of TROY, 3 Biggie songs, and Scenario are all you plan to play.

And don't play "The Choice Is Yours." Just...don't.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    hermes1 said:
    LaserWolf said:
    musica said:

I don't think he meant it as headliner-lite.

One can still play a contrast set that works within the mood of the whole night.

If the headliner plays house and disco, you can start off the night with rare groove and hip-hop.

If the headliner is going to play hard Southern rap all night, you can lead off with a miami bass/80s hip-hop set.

There are tons of examples where you can play a contrast set that doesn't get into the territory described in the article.

This.

I didn't mean that the opener should be headliner-lite, though in looking back over the post, I can see how it would read that way, so that's bad phrasing on my part. Even editors need editors!

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    These days the headliner can and might play everything!

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    1. Don't play a bunch of obvious hits early in the night. First of all, it's lazy selection to do that, and lazy selection is the hallmark of a poor DJ.

yeah! save that lazy selection for a headliner!

playing other people's music can be so complex.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    4. Don't even take a job doing a hip-hop slot of TROY, 3 Biggie songs, and Scenario are all you plan to play.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    JimBeam said:
    1. Don't play a bunch of obvious hits early in the night. First of all, it's lazy selection to do that, and lazy selection is the hallmark of a poor DJ.

yeah! save that lazy selection for a headliner!

playing other people's music can be so complex.

If "playing other people's music" was all that DJing involved, I could step in for someone like Tiesto at one of his stadium gigs in Uruguay or wherever, and just play "other people's music", and nobody would mind, right? As long as they're getting a DJ who's "playing other people's music" - because that's all a DJ is, after all - then what would they have to complain about?

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Why not? I mean, why this particular one?

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    cause its part of the really annoying, super obvious hip hop canon set you hear all the time at hip hop shows that starts with NWA express yourself, House Of Pain - Jump Around.. arrrrrgh.

good advice there, definitely fucked this one up a few times. NEVER PLAY SONGS BY THE ACT YOU ARE SUPPORTING. (probably obvious but everyone falls foul of this!).

Ulysses31nicholas said:
    cause its part of the really annoying, super obvious hip hop canon set you hear all the time at hip hop shows that starts with NWA express yourself, House Of Pain - Jump Around.. arrrrrgh.

Last time I saw The Roots in London, I could count the number of songs the DJ played that were less than 10 years old on the fingers of one hand.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    Ulysses31nicholas said:

good advice there, definitely fucked this one up a few times. NEVER PLAY SONGS BY THE ACT YOU ARE SUPPORTING. (probably obvious but everyone falls foul of this!).

OK, that's what I figured was meant, I just wasn't sure why that one particular song was singled out. But sure, its one in a long list of overplayed stuff.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    its a particular phenomenon of the hip hop show which is a fundamental part of the decaying appeal of the hip hop show (along with OKAY WHEN I SAY HIP, YOU SAY.. PUT 2 FINGERS IN THE AIR FOR PROOF 2PAC BIGGIE [delete as appropriate] MAKE SOME NOISE IF YOU LOVE HIP HOP etc) although it might have been fun the first 25 times you experience it. maybe.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Really, a set of rules made to show respect to the headliner? Blaming the failure of a night on the opener? If you are the headliner and you are as bad ass as you think you are because, well you are headlining then it doesn't matter if your opener played obscure 19th century chamber music mixed with hair metal...you are the headliner, you should be able to rock it. No excuses. You can't whine that the opener ruined the night, you are the headliner, the fault lies with you if it was a wack night.

Imagine these silly rules being professed for opening bands...as if a headlining band could blame the opening band for a lame show. If you can't take the night where you want it to go, then you are a shitty band. Same with DJs. Dint go blaming your failures on the support act(s).

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    You should just post up your chamber-music hair-metal mashup DJ set and be done with it.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    fuck rules.
    Burn the house down.
    Headliner should be pooping his pants when you're done.

• The_Hook_Up said:
    Really, a set of rules made to show respect to the headliner? Blaming the failure of a night on the opener? If you are the headliner and you are as bad ass as you think you are because, well you are headlining then it doesn't matter if your opener played obscure 19th century chamber music mixed with hair metal...you are the headliner, you should be able to rock it. No excuses. You can't whine that the opener ruined the night, you are the headliner, the fault lies with you if it was a wack night.

Imagine these silly rules being professed for opening bands...as if a headlining band could blame the opening band for a lame show. If you can't take the night where you want it to go, then you are a shitty band. Same with DJs. Dint go blaming your failures on the support act(s).

This.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:

go/gc

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Opening dj, whatever you do, please don't play "it's your birthday" because I am sure it is one of those "shortys" birthdays and I am gonna blow the club up with that one.

• fuck the previous dj...run the needle across whatever bullshit record he was playing..(that way you'll get the crowds attention)...grab the mic and say "YA'LL MUTHAFUCKAS READY FOR THE REAL SHIT SAY HOOOOO!!!!!" at this point drop a loop of Flash's theme by Queen on -8 pitch then lead the crowd in the call/response of your choice
    something like "when i say dj...yall say ... (insert dj name here) ...dj ... (name)... dj... (name) "

then say "big shout to (fake celebrity who really isn't there) in the house..i see you dog...imma bout to do this....here we go "

then transform scratch into whatever song you choose to play..

I can't understand why some folks are having trouble grasping this. Enki's not talking about warm-up/opening DJs failing to show the correct level of deference to the headliner, and he certainly isn't saying a bum set by the headliner is always the fault of the warm-up DJ. Where are people getting this from?

I mean, do those of you objecting to the central point of this piece have any experience of trying to rescue a party when, for example, a crowd expecting soul, funk and broadly similar styles of music has had to endure the promoter's girlfriend's kid brother doing his Paul Oakenfold impression for an hour to an empty dancefloor? Well, I have. I was the poor fucker who had the misfortune to go on after this kid one Saturday night, and by that time there was literally nobody dancing. I had to watch the crowd slowly drift away during his set, leaving me to spin for a half empty club that had been packed and jumping a couple of hours beforehand. Not that I'm any kind of big-shot DJ (and nor have I ever been), but this was an act of pure self-indulgence which fucked up the party for the people who came along expecting a certain kind of thing (which they were entitled to do), and made my job that evening a good deal tougher and considerably less enjoyable than it ought to have been.

Now, imagine a similar scenario at a somewhat more high-profile event - perhaps at a club where the night's big draw is Keb Darge playing rare funk, or Frank doing one of his Voodoo Funk-style sets. How do you think a crowd of paying customers are likely to feel about having to put up with a warm-up DJ who is by no measure the main attraction, yet who treats the evening as a platform for the wildest extremes of his turntablizm skillz? Or one who decides the way to set the mood is to test the house subs with an hour's worth of wobwobwob dubstep? It fucks up the party, and it is straight-up the worst kind of DJing - pissing off the customers and giving no thought to entertaining anyone other than yourself and the handful of cheerleaders you've probably brought along with you. This is the kind of thing Enki's talking about. Certainly, there's a competitive aspect to DJing, but that's what DJ battles are for - the clurb is a different environment and a different discipline. Moreover, DJing is not like a rock show - warm-up DJs don't build a rep by being able to blow the headliner offstage, they do it by helping provide a sympathetic setting for the headliner to do their thing, and most of these "rules" so many of you are getting steamed up about are just simple matters of etiquette.

• chrisflyer said:
    fuck the previous dj...run the needle across whatever bullshit record he was playing..(that way you'll get the crowds attention)...grab the mic and say "YA'LL MUTHAFUCKAS READY FOR THE REAL SHIT SAY HOOOOO!!!!!" at this point drop a loop of Flash's theme by Queen on -8 pitch then lead the crowd in the call/response of your choice
    something like "when i say dj...yall say ... (insert dj name here) ...dj ... (name)... dj... (name) "

then say "big shout to (fake celebrity who really isn't there) in the house..i see you dog...imma bout to do this....here we go "

then transform scratch into whatever song you choose to play..

one of the funniest things ive ever read on this site!
    i believe it was edpowers that said it right?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Tabasko said:
    fuck rules.
    Burn the house down.

Sayin.

There was a story here on SS where Grandmaster Flash gives dudes a list of shit they cannot play when opening up for him.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    batmon said:
    Tabasko said:
    fuck rules.
    Burn the house down.

Sayin.

There was a story here on SS where Grandmaster Flash gives dudes a list of shit they cannot play when opening up for him.

Don't worry, Mr. Flash, I left my David Bowie, Blondie and Peter Piper records at home.

batmon said:
    Tabasko said:
    fuck rules.
    Burn the house down.

Sayin.

When the crowd's there to hear the opener spin instead of Flash, then they can bitch and moan about being told what to play by The Main Event. Otherwise...

DocMcCoy said:
    I can't understand why some folks are having trouble grasping this. Enki's not talking about warm-up/opening DJs failing to show the correct level of deference to the headliner, and he certainly isn't saying a bum set by the headliner is always the fault of the warm-up DJ. Where are people getting this from?

I mean, do those of you objecting to the central point of this piece have any experience of trying to rescue a party when, for example, a crowd expecting soul, funk and broadly similar styles of music has had to endure the promoter's girlfriend's kid brother doing his Paul Oakenfold impression for an hour to an empty dancefloor? Well, I have. I was the poor fucker who had the misfortune to go on after this kid one Saturday night, and by that time there was literally nobody dancing. I had to watch the crowd slowly drift away during his set, leaving me to spin for a half empty club that had been packed and jumping a couple of hours beforehand. Not that I'm any kind of big-shot DJ (and nor have I ever been), but this was an act of pure self-indulgence which fucked up the party for the people who came along expecting a certain kind of thing (which they were entitled to do), and made my job that evening a good deal tougher and considerably less enjoyable than it ought to have been.

Now, imagine a similar scenario at a somewhat more high-profile event - perhaps at a club where the night's big draw is Keb Darge playing rare funk, or Frank doing one of his Voodoo Funk-style sets. How do you think a crowd of paying customers are likely to feel about having to put up with a warm-up DJ who is by no measure the main attraction, yet who treats the evening as a platform for the wildest extremes of his turntablizm skillz? Or one who decides the way to set the mood is to test the house subs with an hour's worth of wobwobwob dubstep? It fucks up the party, and it is straight-up the worst kind of DJing - pissing off the customers and giving no thought to entertaining anyone other than yourself and the handful of cheerleaders you've probably brought along with you. This is the kind of thing Enki's talking about. Certainly, there's a competitive aspect to DJing, but that's what DJ battles are for - the clurb is a different environment and a different discipline. Moreover, DJing is not like a rock show - warm-up DJs don't build a rep by being able to blow the headliner offstage, they do it by helping provide a sympathetic setting for the headliner to do their thing, and most of these "rules" so many of you are getting steamed up about are just simple matters of etiquette.

I grasp it just fine.
    Every man for himself. If you are a touring DJ drawing a crowd, then it shouldnt matter at all who opens for you, if you are getting paid well to DJ and paid to travel around to do it...then there should be no excuses if you dont deliver...simple as that.
    If your craft/art is so fragile that an amatuer who isn't good at it can ruin your mastery of said craft/art by simply playing before you, then perhaps you need reevaluate things.
    True, dancers vote with their feet, but if shitty music is enough to squash their urge to get down, so much in fact that your music doesnt even revive them...then that crowd wasnt really into getting down then.
    If Keb and Frank were playing and there were people there who were looking forward to getting down to Keb or Frank and some turtablism/techno/dubstep/whatever bullshit DJ played before them, people would vote with their feet, not dance and wait for the good shit. If they don't, then they weren't that interested in Keb and Frank in the first place.

Now, if you are trying to make a name for yourself and shitty DJs are running people off before you play and it is hurting your exposure or holding you back, then make damn sure you book the show and make sure no wackness proceeds you. But if you are already well-known...no excuses.

• The_Hook_Up said:
    Now, if you are trying to make a name for yourself and shitty DJs are running people off before you play and it is hurting your exposure or holding you back, then make damn sure you book the show and make sure no wackness proceeds you. But if you are already well-known...no excuses.

Your grasp on the reality of DJing...it is tenuous, at best. Either that or you're being contrary for the sake of being contrary.

"Make damn sure you book the show"? So now all DJs have to be promoters, too? That's not how it works in the Bay Area, where Enki lives and DJs. Sure, there are DJs who are also promoters, but it's ridiculous to imply that DJs should control every aspect of the bill when the real problem is that some dudes don't know their role.

And don't tell me you wouldn't shit if you were headlining a funkyraer45s night and the opener played an hour of Justin Timberlake (your favorite artist!) right before you got on.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    batmon said:
    Tabasko said:
    fuck rules.
    Burn the house down.

Sayin.

When the crowd's there to hear the opener spin instead of Flash, then they can bitch and moan about being told what to play by The Main Event. Otherwise...

Itotally agree. it all depends on circumstance. If your being hired to open up for someone play fair.

But if its an open type gig and they ask u to just do your thing, i would know your crowd and bang the walls of that mutha inside out.

hogginthefogg said:
    The_Hook_Up said:

Your grasp on the reality of DJing...it is tenuous, at best. Either that or you're being contrary for the sake of being contrary.

"Make damn sure you book the show"? So now all DJs have to be promoters, too? That's not how it works in the Bay Area, where Enki lives and DJs. Sure, there are DJs who are also promoters, but it's ridiculous to imply that DJs should control every aspect of the bill when the real problem is that some dudes don't know their role.

And don't tell me you wouldn't shit if you were headlining a funkyraer45s night and the opener played an hour of Justin Timberlake (your favorite artist!) right before you got on.

fine, let me change it to "be very selective to what gigs you agree to"...still the same result within a different booking situation...true the Bay Area is much different than some Memphis/South "gimmie a few hundred bucks to play records" booking style, but it has the same desired goal, a good time...so if some bullshit before you is going to squash what you deem a success, then make sure you try every way possible to make sure there is no bullshit before you and if that means not accepting every gig that comes your way, then so be it.

it was said earlier that DJnights are not like rock bands playing a show...unfortunately, it seems they are, however, booked the same way. bands usually have no control who the opener is, or what local support they are receiving. Since they are different animals then perhaps a different booking style is needed. I dont know what that is, but I would think it might be a better solution than hoping a bunch of people you have no control over agree to a blanket set of etiquette points and rules.