i hate record stores without prices

2»

Comments

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

Also: I was looking for an opportunity to brag - so I took it!

---

That is one hell of a deal though. So how does that lp sound? Good or just raer?

It's real good, if you like funky 7t's harmony soul with soaring falsetto( which I do) - the standout track 'Ghost of Love' has all these psychedelic effects & shit

---

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

I still walked out with an OG Timeless Legend 'Synchronized' lp for $10 though...

that's nuts. seriously nuts. you must tell me where in detroit you found this one... strictly for jealousy purposes.

• Just FYI, BSRS in BRLA is trying to close up shop,
    and all 12"ers are $3.
    You have to dig for hours, but there is some BBR
    to cop in there IMHO.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    I price everything that's on my floor. If I can't price a buy til later it goes in back. There are two stores in the DC area that drive me nuts with either unpriced/sliding scale records or "that record's not for sale" ("then why is it out in plain sight?" I ask) that I vowed not to do that. Because I do ALL the pricing myself I'm sure I underprice some stuff and overprice other shit but it all comes out in the wash as far as I'm concerned.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I hit a shop today that had loads of records that were not priced yet. Of course most of them were crap but I found some in there that I was interested in. When I took them to the counter the owner said he'd have to price the records then give me a call sometime tomorrow. He said "I won't pull a Bill's Records on you and just say $50 for every record." Of course I wasn't happy about having to wait but I didn't have a choice. Anyway...I'm just irritated that I spent a three and half hours pulling out some nice records only to leave with nothing.

I am guilty of having unpriced records in my store, and not knowing instantly what I will price a record for.

Some diggers have no intrest in the 5,000 records I have priced. They only want the unpriced records. They beg and plead and whine until I let them look at them. Or they wait until I am not paying attention and then pull some out.

I go through a lot of trouble to try to find cool obscure stuff. I like to check things out on the IVS (internet value system) before pricing them. Sorry.

Please, never switch price tags in my store.

Dan

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Some diggers have no intrest in the 5,000 records I have priced. They only want the unpriced records. They beg and plead and whine until I let them look at them.

Everyone reading this has been THAT guy.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Some diggers have no intrest in the 5,000 records I have priced. They only want the unpriced records. They beg and plead and whine until I let them look at them.

Everyone reading this has been THAT guy.

I've been that guy too. What I meant to say is "sorry for having unpriced records". It's true, I'm a slacker and need to get another 3,000 records priced and soon.

I recently got the most of those are $3s, a few I'll have to look up. I guarantee you those few are the ones I bring to the counter.

I've told the store before of driving to MT Shasta to check out this guys 10s of thousands of records. He had closed up a chain of record stores. Me and Eric (who now works for Craig Moerer) spent 8 hours digging in his basement. He individually priced each record, it took more than 3 hours. He kept saying "this price guide is old", and tacking another $10 - $20 dollars on the record. I did ok because back in the day soul records were not in the price guide. Eric bombed because he wanted sike and imports, "imports are worth a lot more".

Only the Madhatter in Tucson was a worse experinece. I'm glad to hear he's out of business.

Dan

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    ...BUT dude is an old pervert(dude must be 70), so whatcha do is dig up a bunch of stuff you want, stash it..send in a hot girl, tell her where the stash is, have her take it to the counter and presto! suddenly those $75 45s are 3 bucks each! Fuck Jerry.

awesome!!!

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    I once was in a pawn shop looking for gear and came across like 5 old crates of Hiphop 12's. They were unpriced. I asked how much. He said "oh, most of them are 2 bucks" So I spent a little time digging thru them. I had about 15-20 in my hand and asked how much he wanted. Dude looked them over and said, "im gonna have to check". So he jumps on Ebay and starts pricing them. Then he starts pricing them at top selling price. Once I realized what he was doing I said "yr not gonna unload these like this". He said if I didnt wanna wait, I could come back. Why, so I could pay $25 for a beat up copy of Def Jef? No thanks.

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    Wow! I've never had a place have to take the records home overnight to price them. That's a bit weird.

once i had a place tell me that the record pricer was out and i had to come back the next day, i was visiting from out of town so i just didn't get anything

bagatelle in long beach. dude that prices them comes in two days a week and it is open from like 11-3. but he has heat.

Wow! I've never had a place have to take the records home overnight to price them. That's a bit weird.

once i had a place tell me that the record pricer was out and i had to come back the next day, i was visiting from out of town so i just didn't get anything

bagatelle in long beach. dude that prices them comes in two days a week and it is open from like 11-3. but he has heat.

hush up, boy! That place has nothing! Nothing, I say!!!

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    It's real good, if you like funky 7t's harmony soul with soaring falsetto( which I do) - the standout track 'Ghost of Love' has all these psychedelic effects & shit

---

Audio clip plaese, it's your civic duty

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

---

Audio clip plaese, it's your civic duty

I'm kinda technologically in the stone-age over here, I haven't even figured out how to put googled images in my sarcastic riposts.

---

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    best spot in so cal, steve's the ish...
    it's just such a long drive to riverside, ehh crink

bagatelle in RIVERSIDE[/b]. dude that prices them comes in two days a week and it is open from like 11-3. but he has heat.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Bagatelle in PACOIMA[/b]. dude that prices them comes in two days a week and it is open from like 11-3. but he has heat.

place really isn't a secret...one of the most well known record stores in southern California.

Bagatelle in PACOIMA[/b]. dude that prices them comes in two days a week and it is open from like 11-3. but he has heat.

place really isn't a secret...one of the most well known record stores in southern California.

yes. and it's always wayyy picked over. don't go there.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Bagatelle in IRWINDALE[/b]. dude that prices them comes in two days a week and it is open from like 11-3. but he has heat.

no, plenty of good stuff

Bagatelle in IRWINDALE[/b]. dude that prices them comes in two days a week and it is open from like 11-3. but he has heat.

no, plenty of good stuff

no, nothing!!! go away!!!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Bagatelle in TARZANA[/b]. dude that prices them comes in two days a week and it is open from like 11-3. but he has heat.

no, plenty of good stuff

no, nothing!!! go away!!!

I used to find sealed Axelrods in there

Last time I was there a certain soulstrutter I was digging with remarked on the abundance of "moder soul" just ripe for the pickin' - get at that, son!