More Black Men Now in Prison System than Were Enslaved

13»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Thr root of the problem is racism. Altering the symptoms wont eliminate the cancer.

Slavery and Jim Crow have been deleted, yet racism is still present.

• Options
    batmon said:
    Thr root of the problem is racism. Altering the symptoms wont eliminate the cancer.

Slavery and Jim Crow have been deleted, yet racism is still present.

This is why I still give people shit when they defend the Confederate flag.

There's just no good reason to tout that fucking thing.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The same government that imports the drugs to black neighborhoods, then arrests for profit the very users and street dealers it is supplying, isn't going to legalize drugs EVER!

Even with weed, all these states are passing laws in violation of federal laws that supercede their state laws...meaning Colorado can smoke out like its permanent Woodstock, but the feds can still come in and arrest smokers anytime they feel like it.

Reversing the War on Drugs would be great, but outright legalization is not a realistic answer. We have to replace those currently in power with a new breed of people who aren't so racist and greedy to the point that they will get half the world strung out and imprisoned just so they can have a bigger swimming pool at their 13th vacation home.

Illegal drugs (like crack!) can indeed be regulated in a reasonable, non-diabolical manner.

And powerless white folks can indeed finally realize that there is nothing in it for them to continue perceiving their black neighbors as animals that pose threats to them by merely existing.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

Even with weed, all these states are passing laws in violation of federal laws that supercede their state laws...meaning Colorado can smoke out like its permanent Woodstock, but the feds can still come in and arrest smokers anytime they feel like it.

Very interesting. The Federal Government claims this authority under the Commerce Clause of the United States Constitution. It claims that individuals growing their own weed in the aggregate effects interstate commerce. This is the same authority that the current administration is using to justify the individual mandate to the new healthcare legislation. Maybe a side-effect to the Supreme Court striking the individual mandate down as unconstitutional will be the roll-back of the - what has become almost limitless power - of the commerce clause.

Funny how things work that way, isn't it Harv?

sabadabada said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Very interesting. The Federal Government claims this authority under the Commerce Clause of the United States Constitution. It claims that individuals growing their own weed in the aggregate effects interstate commerce. This is the same authority that the current administration is using to justify the individual mandate to the new healthcare legislation. Maybe a side-effect to the Supreme Court striking the individual mandate down as unconstitutional will be the roll-back of the - what has become almost limitless power - of the commerce clause.

Funny how things work that way, isn't it Harv?

Yes, but if that gets repealed, they'll just come up with some other sideways justification for being able to snatch people up out of their lives at any given time. Their credo being...if we build these prisons, they will come.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    And I'm sure they'll find another way to cram socialized medicine down our throats as well.

• does this statistic take into consideration that the population in america is now 23 times larger than it was in 1830? this is a sincere question by the way. i'm not trying to debunk the stat by asking semantics questions, i just truly want to know if it factors this in.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    The same government that imports the drugs to black neighborhoods, then arrests for profit the very users and street dealers it is supplying, isn't going to legalize drugs EVER!

Reversing the War on Drugs would be great, but outright legalization is not a realistic answer. We have to replace those currently in power with a new breed of people who aren't so racist and greedy to the point that they will get half the world strung out and imprisoned just so they can have a bigger swimming pool at their 13th vacation home.

Illegal drugs (like crack!) can indeed be regulated in a reasonable, non-diabolical manner.

And powerless white folks can indeed finally realize that there is nothing in it for them to continue perceiving their black neighbors as animals that pose threats to them by merely existing.

I don't disagree.....a government who purportedly can find 3 imported grapes that were tainted with poison should be able to prevent the flow of illegal drugs into our country. As long as they remain illegal there will be plenty of cash going into the pockets of those involved while our entire society is damaged on all the levels mentioned in this thread.

But even if we were able to prevent every last ounce of of heroin and cocaine smuggled into the country they would be replaced by other, domestically made drugs like Meth....we humans sure are resourceful. There have been 73,000 Meth Labs busted in the U.S. since 2006 which is just mind boggling.

Take the lure of easy money out of the equation by decriminalization and LEGAL government distribution and many of the associated problems go away. Same scenario as prohibition and the bootlegging of liquor.....not many moonshine stills operating in 2011. Will legal drugs kill people......absolutely, just like alcohol does. But if we can minimize the collateral damage beyond the end user it will go a long way in rebuilding the families and communities that this "war" has ruined.

And I see that scenario as a good thing for people of all persuasions. Will it happen....probably not, but that won't prevent me from telling everyone/anyone that will listen that it is a better option than what we have now.

As individuals I agree that we need to move beyond judging people by their race and do so by their actions. But ultimately you can not legislate morals and goodness and I have little faith that humans, not only in the U.S., but around the world, can change their nature of hate.

Who said anything about legislation? That's my whole point of indicting the government for its ills. Solutions will have to come outside of the very institutions that are plaguing us with their dead weight. The more we continue to be hopeful that some confirmed devils are going to change their ways out of good faith, the more their death trap gets empowered. It's up to us ordinary people to change the paradigm, and that starts by being comfortable with the facts enough to not be immediately defensive or off-putting when the subject of racism comes up.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I have faith in humanity changing the nature of hate.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

I have a friend that goes to MI (somewhere near Biloxi) from time to time to visit family. He said near his cousins house is a black family that flies the Confederate flag. WTF? Trying to understand that makes my head hurt. I don't 100% believe him, but this guy is not a bullshitter and has no reason to make this up.

• Options
    sabadabada said:
    And I'm sure they'll find another way to cram socialized medicine down our throats as well.

It's called Medicare, and teabaggers love it. LOVE IT.

There was more to Dixie than just slavery.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

But even if we were able to prevent every last ounce of of heroin and cocaine smuggled into the country they would be replaced by other, domestically made drugs like Meth....we humans sure are resourceful. There have been 73,000 Meth Labs busted in the U.S. since 2006 which is just mind boggling.

I read an article that said if psuedoeffedrine was banned that the meth problem would be seriously crippled. But drug companies will never allow that.

• Options
    jjfad027 said:

I have a friend that goes to MI (somewhere near Biloxi) from time to time to visit family. He said near his cousins house is a black family that flies the Confederate flag. WTF? Trying to understand that makes my head hurt. I don't 100% believe him, but this guy is not a bullshitter and has no reason to make this up.

There are gay Republicans, too.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    jjfad027 said:

I read an article that said if psuedoeffedrine was banned that the meth problem would be seriously crippled. But drug companies will never allow that.

I think about half the 73,000 meth labs that were busted were in my neighborhood.
    Then my state outlawed over the counter psuedoeffedrine sales and the meth labs (in my neighborhood) disappeared.
    Surprisingly, so did most the meth heads.

While otc sales were still legal they busted the quicky mart up the street from me for selling entire containers of psuedoeffedrine to a single buyer.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    The public school system and head start program is more responsible than any drug any black person has ever taken or sold.

• Options
    edpowers said:
    The public school system and head start program is more responsible than any drug any black person has ever taken or sold.

I've gotta hear the explanation for this.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    jjfad027 said:

I think about half the 73,000 meth labs that were busted were in my neighborhood.
    Then my state outlawed over the counter psuedoeffedrine sales and the meth labs (in my neighborhood) disappeared.
    Surprisingly, so did most the meth heads.

While otc sales were still legal they busted the quicky mart up the street from me for selling entire containers of psuedoeffedrine to a single buyer.

As I stated earlier....humans are real resourceful......have any of you seen the latest way to get high by fermenting human feces and inhaling it. People are gonna get fucked up in one way or another......you'll never stop it.

Probably less toxic then a meth lab.

• Options
    Rockadelic said:

As I stated earlier....humans are real resourceful......have any of you seen the latest way to get high by fermenting human feces and inhaling it.

"Good thing we didn't step in it."

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    As Chris Rock said "When people wanna get high, they turn into MacGyver".

Anybody hear about this thing of getting high off bath salts? Apparently it's been going on for a few years (started in Europe, I think), but got more attention after a guy in NJ killed his girlfriend while high on them, or something like that. A friend of mine who lives in the same town where that happened pointed it out to me, and said a lot of people there are doing it, and now some state lawmakers are trying to ban them.

Yes. But they are not bath salts. Just a name.