• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    why does that sound nostalgic
    or could it be that the us prison system is indeed worse than slavery

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    white still rules..

not just black people ..brown aswell..

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    White, Black, Brown.....

All convicted felons are "discriminated" against.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    White, Black, Brown.....

That's really your point in response to the article?

Where's Emil at?

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    not about discrimination, but the way shit is divided. If charles had a bank in the 30's and his son took over..became wealthier and wealthier..that brings a lot to the table... schooling is different..environment is very diferent etc etc..
    While Ali his grandpa had shit..his dad had shit..etc etc..

and many many other ways to look at it..its a bitch thats all I can say/conclude

• Options
    Rockadelic said:
    White, Black, Brown.....

You're possibly a habitual felon yourself, you just haven't been convicted yet.

Dudes, it's totally about discrimination. Wake up already!

• Options
    HarveyCanal said:
    Dudes, it's totally about discrimination. Wake up already!

Not totally, but significantly. That's undeniably true.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    If it has been shown that people other than those from (low income) black communities use and sell drugs at the same rate, but more blacks get arrested and convicted, it is about discrimination.
    There are post-arrest factors that contribute, such access to decent legal support, knowledge of one's rights and the mood and personal bias of judges.

If we take it from the perspective of do the crime-do the time, you can say the question may not be why are so many black men in jail, but why are there so few whites?

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    yeah off course discrimination is there..believe me I KNOW all about it..but its bigger than that.

painful.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts

wonder when she'll be on any of those big networks

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    war on drugs ..hahahahhahaha!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Jamal said:
    yeah off course discrimination is there..believe me I KNOW all about it..but its bigger than that.

painful.

What's the bigger picture?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    batmon said:
    Jamal said:

painful.

White people have names like Charles & Black people have names like Ali.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Okem said:
    batmon said:
    Jamal said:

painful.

White people have names like Charles & Black people have names like Ali.

lol I have something like five people in my family named Ali! Might as well add olive-to-medium brown to that list.

If drugs were legal these numbers would be very different.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    We jail more of our citizens than any other country.
    In many states the private prison industry is writing laws to increase the rate of incarceration.
    We have more people in jail than India does.

• Options
    LaserWolf said:

In many states the private prison industry is writing laws to increase the rate of incarceration.

I guarantee that imprisoning debtors who can't pay is going to be a growing phenomenon in this country - it's already happening. And I'm not talking about child support or tax deadbeats, but people who owe consumer debt.

BobDesperado said:
    LaserWolf said:

I guarantee that imprisoning debtors who can't pay is going to be a growing phenomenon in this country - it's already happening. And I'm not talking about child support or tax deadbeats, but people who owe consumer debt.

Yet, US legislators run a deficit budget and bail out the banks.

BobDesperado said:
    LaserWolf said:

Who are we going to blame this on???

Rock, do you seriously believe that racial discrimnation no longer has a significant impact on these patheticly lopsided prison numbers? It's just bad people doing bad things and that's it???

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

These statistics are not new for those of us who study racial-ethnic inequalities. Sadly, there are more Black men in prisons than in colleges and universities too. While I was very much raised to exercise personal responsibility, a pretty universal truth in sociology is that ascribed status (i.e., status acquired from one's family of birth) affects achieved status (i.e., status attained through various personal strivings), largely through its influence on a person's opportunities, resources, etc. Sure, there is not a one-to-one relationship between the two statuses, and yes, exceptions to this relation exist (e.g., Dr. Benjamin Carson), but the PROBABILITY of success in life is very much determined by the socioeconomic status of one's birth family. Of course, I need not mention the prevailing racial-ethnic differences, disfavoring Blacks, Hispanics, and some Asian subgroups in comparison to Whites, with regard to socioeconomic status. Although personal actions affect one's chance of success in life (duh!), we would be remiss in not accounting for the effects of environment on an individual's life prospects (e.g., access to quality education, effective rearing, healthcare, safe living conditions, nutrition, etc.). Myself, I came from a quite resource-rich environment, and not surprisingly, I succeeded. Other folks in my family who lived on 'the corner' (in B-More), took the path to self-destruction and early mortality. Given the abject poverty of the environment, those poor folks didn't have a fighting chance. How on earth could I judge them given the light-years differences in our rearing environments, and by extension, life prospects? Funkadelic said it well:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Options
    Rockadelic said:
    BobDesperado said:
    LaserWolf said:

Who are we going to blame this on???

It's being driven by increasingly aggressive collection agencies and a growing contempt for poor people.

HarveyCanal said:
    Rock, here's where I don't want to be nice to you next time I run into you. Do you seriously believe that racial discrimnation no longer has a significant impact on these patheticly lopsided prison numbers? It's just bad people doing bad things and that's it???

I believe the so-called "War On Drugs" is highly responsible for our prison population problem and yes, this "War" is being waged against mostly poor, undereducated people in both urban and rural areas.

Rockadelic said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Rock, here's where I don't want to be nice to you next time I run into you. Do you seriously believe that racial discrimnation no longer has a significant impact on these patheticly lopsided prison numbers? It's just bad people doing bad things and that's it???

I believe the so-called "War On Drugs" is highly responsible for our prison population problem and yes, this "War" is being waged against mostly poor, undereducated people in both urban and rural areas.

LOL! It's aimed at blacks first and foremost. Are you unable to acknowledge that?

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Yes, as through this world I've wandered
    I've seen lots of funny men;
    Some will rob you with a six-gun,
    And some with a fountain pen.

HarveyCanal said:
    BobDesperado said:
    LaserWolf said:

Yet, US legislators run a deficit budget and bail out the banks.

These are the first folks who should be arrested.

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    but the PROBABILITY of success in life is very much determined by the socioeconomic status of one's birth family

Thats what I said..but not in those words..

it has such a big impact on health aswell. mental and physical.

Also..prisons are BIG big businesses..lots of money goes on..cant get cheaper labor..thats all because of the private owned prisons/companies..

Also incareceration in prison only increases the percentage rate the convicted person stays in crimelife or becomes a real criminal.

Racism is also a very big contribution to those levels/percentages.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Jamal said:
    but the PROBABILITY of success in life is very much determined by the socioeconomic status of one's birth family

Thats what I said..but not in those words..

it has such a big impact on health aswell. mental and physical.

Also..prisons are BIG big businesses..lots of money goes on..cant get cheaper labor..thats all because of the private owned prisons/companies..

Also incareceration in prison only increases the percentage rate the convicted person stays in crimelife or becomes a real criminal.

Racism is also a very big contribution to those levels/percentages.

Hey Jamal,

I agree on all accounts. Decades of research has shown that socioeconomic status has significant relations with mortality rates, which of course, vary by race-ethnicity. It's ironic, but my mom has the habit of judging the poor for negative circumstances befalling them (bear in mind, mom and I are Black). I always have to point out how their circumstances might drive their behavior to some degrees. An even greater irony is that mom grew up poor! Oh well, people will either believe or not believe environmental influences on behavior. In my mind, individual actions and environment interact to affect subsequent behavior, so both are important to one's life prospects.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak