Plastered (RR)

NeverEnoughMoneyNeverEnoughMoney 300 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
What are the strongest/most effective methods for cleaning records piled with grit and grime? I've got some great records, but they've got plaster on them. Can anyone throw out some suggestions? Palmieri depends on you.Thanks.

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    actual plaster?

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    ultra-sonic !

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Obviously "Groovy Record Cleaner" is good with a lint free rag, although I've heard this stuff isn't for everyday kinda use. Dunno if it'll handle planter tho...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    If I have records that have shit seriously caked on them, or massive amounts of mildew/dirt, I just wash them in the sink. Lukewarm water (if it gets too hot the vinyl starts getting a lil too flexy), minute amounts of dish liquid, and a clean, soft sponge. You can scrub away at the grooves pretty hard without causing damage. Try to keep the label from getting wet, turning the vinyl under the tap away from the label, but contrary to some opinions, the labels can usually take a decent amount of water without being damaged, as long as you don't scrub them. Obviously this isn't something I do with a record I'm trying to keep NM or anything, but with records that are too good to just let go, even though they look like lost causes. I have rescued many a raer in the sink, sometimes having them end up playing almost noiseless, after being caked with shit minutes earlier...

• I got a record vacume, cost me a bundle, but works wonders...

can make a good+ a VG in 30 sec...
    and your rec's sound and look so much better almost instantly

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    If I have records that have shit seriously caked on them, or massive amounts of mildew/dirt, I just wash them in the sink. Lukewarm water (if it gets too hot the vinyl starts getting a lil too flexy), minute amounts of dish liquid, and a clean, soft sponge. You can scrub away at the grooves pretty hard without causing damage. Try to keep the label from getting wet, turning the vinyl under the tap away from the label, but contrary to some opinions, the labels can usually take a decent amount of water without being damaged, as long as you don't scrub them. Obviously this isn't something I do with a record I'm trying to keep NM or anything, but with records that are too good to just let go, even though they look like lost causes. I have rescued many a raer in the sink, sometimes having them end up playing almost noiseless, after being caked with shit minutes earlier...

Co-sign that shit.

Scrub them in the sink. I've turned vg- to EX+ with a little bit of washing in the sink.

Also, 99% of the time the label doesn't run, but on occassion I've had colour run from the label when it gets wet. Usually seems to happen only with 60s pressings (maybe different ink or something).

• Looks to be. Seems like someone gathered up a fistful of raers and tried to make a parking lot out of them.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

i would not reccomend using that stuff. Googone will break down certain chemicals that maybe used in pressing the vinyl you are cleaning. Remember, not all records are pressed with the same materials.