ipod sound quality question

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited March 2011 in Strut Central
I noticed this morning that a bunch music on my ipod sounds crackly - both vinyl and internet/digital DLs. The stuff off vinyl is worse - downright degraded.
Is this normal after numerous plays - even for online mixtapes?
What is the solution - a new DL to replace the old? Or is there something wrong with my ipod?

Thank You.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    bassie said:
    is there something wrong with my ipod?

:eyeball: :eyeball:

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    its gotta be an ipod issue. if you want, just try deleting and then reloading the songs that sound crappy

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Definitely a hardware problem. Also test with some different headphones if above doesn't work.

If you still have a problem, then yer Ipod is on its way out.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    It's less than two years old!!

I'll try reloading this weekend and see what goes on.

Thanks so much for the info.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    Well mp3s dont degrade over multiple listens so it has to be an equipment issue

Thanks for not making fun lol
    As you can tell, I am still trying to catch this crazy digital music wave

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I will admit I lol'd a little, so it wasn't so much a LOL as a Quiet Internal Chuckle.

I don't think digital can degrade unless you're down sampling it by lowering the bit-rate. (There is an option on some apps, like Itunes, to do this to save space. maybe check that's not a problem.)

First thing I'd ask is, Are you still rocking the white ipod headphones? If yes, then you need to chuck them. (Maybe replace them with some Sennheisers - they always seem be available at a 3rd of the og price on Amazon if you don't buy the latest versions.) At least try a different pair to see if that solves it.

It's not the headphones, Mr. QIC.
    It's not all the music on there, just some. But I'll try that, too, still.
    Merci.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Sounds like a bad headphone jack, blow some compressed air in the headphone jack, try different headphones, and also try a y-splitter hooked up to your boomin system.

Ooops, ignore my post. Check out in itunes if your sound enhancer is on or if there are EQ settings associated with the MP3s. I am assuming these are all mp3s, what bitrate are they encoded as?

jaysus said:
    blow some compressed air in the headphone jack

:eyeball: :eyeball:

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    The thing is with MP3s that aren't bought from Itunes, or similar, is that you wont get consistent quality.

They will vary in bitrate - the higher the rate the higher the sound quality. You want the highest, 320 kbps, to get near CD quality.
    Some will be louder or have more bass ect, or the vinyl rips may have clipping. All these variables could cause distortion in faulty headphones.

These are not new songs I just put on though. They've been on there for a while and only this morning that they began to sound off. Hence my totally cool question about mp3s degrading after numerous plays :/

If it's not the headphones - does it make sense for this thing to be falling apart after such a short period of time?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    bassie said:
    It's less than two years old!!

This is the lamest shit about iPods. My Walkman from 16 years ago still works like a dream.

Well that answers that. That is very lame.

Which one do u have?

The black one.

haha!

this model

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Ipods used to be pretty unreliable and often failed before the warranty ran out, but they have improved at lot over the years, so it really shouldn't be failing already. I have a first generation Ipod Touch that's about 4 years old, it still works perfectly.

-

It's the fact that it is only some of the songs that you're having a problem with that makes me think it's not your ipod failing. If it was the ipod, surely it would be all the songs.

Don't you live near DOR? he is some kind of tech wizard, I'm sure he could help you fix it.

I'll try the suggestions people have made here - all really appreciated by the way.
    I'll take it to where I bought it if nothing works.

DOR and I have more of a food/music/booze/loving cut-ups friendship.
    I have not tapped into his tech wizardry yet.

(don't do it Batmon)

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts