midnight marauders

beatstew72beatstew72 314 Posts
edited March 2011 in Strut Central
have always wondered how to tell OG copies from later presses...how to tell?

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    does it really make a difference?

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    beatstew72 said:

One sells for $6 the other sells for $8

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The repress has this photo amongst the faces...

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    CousinLarry said:
    beatstew72 said:

One sells for $6 the other sells for $8

classique

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Use the smelling test

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Arent there 3 versions of the OG? Red, Black, and Green joints?

• Pretty sure the OG is a double LP and the repress is just one.
    I had a friend who traded me his double for my single complaining he was too lazy to have to flip the record twice!

• TheKindCromang said:
    Pretty sure the OG is a double LP and the repress is just one.
    I had a friend who traded me his double for my single complaining he was too lazy to have to flip the record twice!

I think it's the opposite, at least for the US press.

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    beatstew72 said:

The OG has a paste-on cardboard sleeve.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Just get the UK copy. Virgin vinyl and 2 records...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The spund quality on the single vinyl repress is garbation.

• Hi Everybody,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I believe the only difference is the inner sleeve. If it has a slick full color printed inner sleeve, it's the OG. If is has a standard die cut paper sleeve, reissue. Of course, the original owner could've tossed out the original inner sleeve, I did that with one of mine after using it as a poster.

The OG US pressing of MM was definitely single vinyl. I bought doubles the day it came out. There is a European double vinyl pressing out there.

As far as differing red, green and black borders go, I think that only applied to the CD and maybe cassette. Pretty sure there's never been a paste on sleeve for MM, at least as far as US pressings are concerned.

Ultimately, the jacket and vinyl, I do believe, are exactly identical, so no real difference aside from the insert.

I don't know if the smelling test would work, MM has never gone out of print since it was released nearly 18 years ago.

And yes, the single vinyl pressing sound quality is garbation.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I have the UK double vinyl, but that dates from a couple of years after the first release. I'm pretty sure the UK OG was single vinyl.

• thanks and welcome Uncle...appreciate the info. i know the copy i recently got sounds very quiet.

• I thought the Promo was red rather than green?