The Cars

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited March 2011 in Strut Central
Recently rediscovered how awesome these guys are.

Greg Hawkes' synth lines can't be fuct wit.

Any "riders"?

Comments

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Listened to Candy-O end to end just the other night. Also heard a new song on the radio -- their first since the '80s, I think, and it sounded the exact same as the other stuff.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    yes. I ride. Self titled album has aged well.

• Options
    S/T and Candy-O and this:

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    Me likey. I once found it necessary to have all 5 of their albums, then realized I could live just fine having just the first 2.

• Options
    "On October 21, 2010, the Cars confirmed that they have reunited and are recording their first album in 24 years. Greg Hawkes will fill in on bass for Benjamin Orr, who died in 2000."

New material:

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    they basically introduced rock to the juno. a lot of people werent very happy about that in the 80s, but i think it had to happen. van halen was all over it for 1984

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    RAJ said:

Greg Hawkes' synth lines can't be fuct wit.
    this. love the synth. my two younger brother f'in love the cars. they got me to revisit the catalog... i ride.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    Possum Tom said:
    they basically introduced rock to the juno. a lot of people werent very happy about that in the 80s, but i think it had to happen. van halen was all over it for 1984
    pretty sure he used a jupiter 8 and a synclavier and a korg mini 700... could be wrong tho

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    When I was a round 5 or 6 I would see homely-ass Rick Ocasek with hot women on TV. I think it's when I realized the power of fame/money.

"Sometimes I used to wonder
    How the hell an ugly dude get a fine girl???s number"

• Options
    spivy said:
    Possum Tom said:
    pretty sure he used a jupiter 8 and a synclavier and a korg mini 700... could be wrong tho

Hawkes was always known for being able to play a huge variety of instruments.

He put out a ukulele album of Beatles covers not so long ago.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    spivy said:
    Possum Tom said:

who? eddie van halen, or greg hawkes?

i have a friend that worked for RIc Ocasek, and he often bragged that they had the actual juno from the cars lps... it could have just been the bass though...

the out-nerding on here never stops sometimes

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    spivy said:
    Possum Tom said:

he used/uses a Univox Minikorg. I got to meet him once at S.I.R. rehearsals in NYC. he showed me the keyboard, showed me how it makes all those Cars sounds like in "just what i needed" etc.... I later scored one at Black Market Music in SF for $350, still have it today.
    (pic found on innernets)

have always loved the Cars!

i think the new record is going to be pretty great (rare for a "comeback" album) - this is the first single:

• I RIDE.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    I ride for the Cars

b/w

Van Halen used an Oberheim.

• Love the first two albums, not so much after that.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    BobDesperado said:
    "On October 21, 2010, the Cars confirmed that they have reunited and are recording their first album in 24 years. Greg Hawkes will fill in on bass for Benjamin Orr, who died in 2000."

This seems stange as Hawkes's synth playing was far more distinctive than Orr's bass playing (his main contribution was as a vocalist, imo). Maybe they mean that he'll play the bass lines on a synth.

b/w

The new stuff sounds pretty good all things considered.

• Options
    Horseleech said:
    BobDesperado said:

This seems stange as Hawkes's synth playing was far more distinctive than Orr's bass playing (his main contribution was as a vocalist, imo). Maybe they mean that he'll play the bass lines on a synth.

No, he's using a bass that used to belong to Orr, which is a nice touch.

Pre-Cars Folk Psych?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Big fan. Just saw this thread today and listened to S/T & Candy-O front to back. So good.

I also ride for this no question.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    The Cars definitely have a dated sound but it such a great way. Their music really brings back great memories, before the weight of the world crushed my spirit.

I'll always ride for the Cars, great thread!

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    their self titled has a deluxe edition. With demos and some unreleased stuff. Pretty cool. Hotel Queenie is a good jam on the bonus disc.

So awesome:

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    so it has to be said that elliot easton is a badass and is one of THE most under-rated guitarists .
    Also
    i was just having a convo with a friend the other day and .....while they get lumped into "new wave" due to the synths and skinny ties they are really a rock band