100% NRR - What do dogs hate?

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
I'm gardening a part of my front yard that is right up at the sidewalk. I'd like to plant something that will deter dogs from digging/doo-doo'ing in it. Can anyone suggest anything that will not harm them but discourage them?I did a bit of research, but everything I've read about is a (chemical) spray and I'm not really into that. Any suggestions appreciated.Merci Beaucoup.

Comments

• Dogs hate the sound of change rattling in a tin can. If you can somehow rig this to happen, then you're all set!

• maybe take a poo on your front lawn as to claim your territory?

This is an AWESOME look.

This is an AWESOME look.

honey, i can make it work for me.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    These are both good and constructive suggestions - thank you.
    I feel that given our profile on the street (we are considered a bit off already for not clipping our lawn to a sterile turf and letting things grow wild), a rattling tin and/or me taking a dump on the front lawn could make things go from bad to worse.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    maybe take a poo on your front lawn as to claim your territory?

This is an AWESOME look.

I hate to take it there, but a lot of dogs like to eat or roll in human feces when they encounter it.

NOT a good look.

• how about some cacti? my grandpa had a cactus garden and i fell in it once. once.

Plants! I want someone to please suggest a plant that repels dogs! And nothing that will hurt them like cactus pricks in their nose. GG Allin I am not.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Sprinkle hot sauce around the area.

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts

would that be considered cruel? if not, maybe I'll try that...or just black pepper?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I think due to their keen sense of smell, they might avoid it altogether. It's not cruel IMO.

I think due to their keen sense of smell, they might avoid it altogether. It's not cruel IMO.

cool - thank you very much. i will try this.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Plants! I want someone to please suggest a plant that repels dogs! And nothing that will hurt them like cactus pricks in their nose. GG Allin I am not.
    cayenne pepper. seriously. it works for cats too.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

I charge for that.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I don't know what dogs hate,
    but I know that i hate dogs.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    cayenne pepper. seriously. it works for cats too.

Yeah Cayenne pepper wards off racoons too!

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    I don't know what dogs hate,
    but I know that i hate dogs.

Taking care of your lawn helps. Dogs prefer the tall grass.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

Seriously, I've heard a combo of hot sauce, ammonia, and piss is the best natural animal deterrant.

Believe it or not, a guy I know who is into landscaping swears by it.