Nuclear Disaster

13»

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    tokyobeats said:

On the charity front I recommend Doctors w/o Borders who have gotten ALL of my charitable donations in the last few years.

This!!!!

Honestly I have studied international development for years and this is the best International Organization i have come across (both on their impact and internal management)
    They do direct work in crisis but you would be surprised to learn that they do great community work in your local area as well, providing necessary services that are sometimes very complicated for local NGOs to be able to effectively provide.
    I give 8$ a month to them for now (a tax deductible sliding scale i can adjust at anytime)
    its a great move that i suggest all consider taking part in

• Rockadelic said:
    tokyobeats said:
    Anyway, if you DO wish to pay attention to the REAL disaster here, do what you can to give to charity for the hundreds of thousands of displaced people.

This^^

For the last 2 weeks the company I work for has been donating/shipping containers of disinfectants, potable water, safety equipment, and cleaning materials and we can't get them there fast enough nor nearly the quantities they will ultimately need. We flew people over to organize things at that end and their reports back are nothing less than total chaos.

On the charity front I recommend Doctors w/o Borders who have gotten ALL of my charitable donations in the last few years.

nice to hear!!!!!

I'm in Tokyo, and there is NOTHING to complain about here..........anyone who even begins to complain that there is a lessened variety of food available will be dealt with promptly!

there are over 400,000 people still without electricity, water and adequate food........think about this shit for a long hard while

the nuclear aspect has no one, other than tepco workers, in immediate danger.......even then, it's "somewhat" regulated....so shift concerns to the NOW

put it this way, alot of my record spending cash has been redirected to this cause!

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    staxwax said:
    day said:

Yeah - dont let any attempts to post less panic inducing takes get in the way of your gloating - why dont you throw a little nuclear disaster party and do a jig - you fucking dick

I posted 2 mainstream articles from yesterday and footage that was taken 2 days ago and that makes me a dick...right. I guess that also means the BBC, ABC, Washington Post etc. are fear mongers for reporting the news. Amazing logic there, chachi.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I think there needs to be a little perspective here.

America dropped 2 nuclear bombs on Japan and never put this much thought and worry into the matter afterwards. And how much more powerful those were than the situation Japan finds them selves in today. I'm not trying to take away anything from the seriousness they are in. But watching the news the other night, they are still showing officials in Cali looking at meters in the their cities. Talking about how there is no need for Americans to worry right now. But that could change and they are watching the situation... Unbelievable

I mean shit, between 1951 and 1992 the US did 928 nuclear tests in Nevada alone.

And there are still massive amounts of people in Japan in need and help from the tsunami.

The US media really needs some focus.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/305096#ixzz1HsjsqUUn

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I Agree with everyone who says the immediate needs of the displaced should be foremost in our minds. That is why I started this thread, to get the nuke talk out of the disaster thread.

Why are we so afraid of nuclear disasters?
    I think the first reason is the fear of an unknown unseen source.
    The second is the idea of mad scientists destroying the environment.
    The third is the misinformation and coverups and denials that have been the nuclear industries standard operating procedure. From the first claims of energy so cheap it wouldn't need to be metered to denial of health claims of those who live downwind from Hanford.

Anyone who watches tv news gets what they deserve. They are fear mongers, because that is what drives ratings. Not because of a political agenda, but despite one. So, "YOU MAY SOON DIE FROM NUCLEAR FALLOUT!" works better for them than "The dangers of radiation from the problems in Japan could be long lasting and include an increased cancer rate for x out 100,000 people".

All that said, it is would be foolish to deny this is a major news story. If the initial reports of 'everything is under control and there will be no radiation leak' were true the story would have ended there. Sadly the reality is every day we are learning it is less under control and the leaks are greater than what was reported the day before.

The news reports are important. What if all the safety features of the nuclear plant near you failed?
    It could happen. It did happen in Japan.
    The US government has asked all Americans to keep at least 50 miles away from the plants.
    Over 50% of Americans live with in 50 miles of a nuke.
    We need to know what is going on, and how are we going to deal with it if it happens to us.

Rockadelic said:
    Also.....If you are interested in the dangers that we face here in the U.S. from nuclear power plants I suggest you read the University of Pittsburgh study done 25 years after the Three Mile Island incident which is our country's worse nuclear accident to date.

Link to UoP study?

What I remember from 10 years after was residents of the area saying that they were told there would be long term health studies, but there were none and no one was tracking people who moved away.
    Any truth to that?

pcmr said:
    Rockadelic said:
    tokyobeats said:

This!!!!

Honestly I have studied international development for years and this is the best International Organization i have come across (both on their impact and internal management)
    They do direct work in crisis but you would be surprised to learn that they do great community work in your local area as well, providing necessary services that are sometimes very complicated for local NGOs to be able to effectively provide.
    I give 8$ a month to them for now (a tax deductible sliding scale i can adjust at anytime)
    its a great move that i suggest all consider taking part in

DWOB is my #2 disaster relief organization.
    My #1 is Mercy Corps.
    What do you know about them?
    I know they just built a new HQ and that lowered their rating (temporarily I hope).

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Also.....If you are interested in the dangers that we face here in the U.S. from nuclear power plants I suggest you read the University of Pittsburgh study done 25 years after the Three Mile Island incident which is our country's worse nuclear accident to date.

Link to UoP study?

What I remember from 10 years after was residents of the area saying that they were told there would be long term health studies, but there were none and no one was tracking people who moved away.
    Any truth to that?

Here is an article with a link to the study.....if you are to believe the UoP study there was a tremendous spike in the infant, child and elderly mortality rate in the first 2 years yet no increase overall in a 20 year period.

http://pittsburgh.about.com/cs/history/a/tmi.htm

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

All that said, it is would be foolish to deny this is a major news story. If the initial reports of 'everything is under control and there will be no radiation leak' were true the story would have ended there. Sadly the reality is every day we are learning it is less under control and the leaks are greater than what was reported the day before.

My whole point ^