Stop using the internet?

JamalJamal 410 Posts
edited March 2011 in Strut Central
Anyone here thinking about stop using the internet? Is it possible?

Even though we buy records and such, i for myself know that if I stop using the internet , I will somehow enjoy my records more..just because ill stop watching youtube videos..and so on..

think about the times before the "world wide web" and think about when you had a walkman or discman, and that was it.
I remember the times (not so long ago..)when all i had in my room at my parents house was a cheap cd player and some stolen and borrowed cd's..that I used to bug those guys (who had money and thus the means to actually buy cd's) to lend me some cd's. Or going to a record shop and alway preteding to buy shit..scrolling through all the hiphop section, pick some of em, and ask to listen to them at the counter, and always dissapearing when he didnt look, or just say yeah im not feeling these haha...damn what a dude does to get his dose of hiphop..but I enjoyed the music even more cause it was rare and hard for me to come by..
At that time I really listened to a cd..you know what I mean..just really tune into it..a small room, nothing else but for that cd player, and just sit down and listen to it, and imagine all the stories coming out of the speakers.. Id really love to turn back to those feelings..

I know its up to me to do it (except for some shit that has me staying home for the time being a lot) but its not a question if I should do it or not, I just would like to know what your own opinion for yourself is..

I dont even have facebook or twitter , dont own a blackberry or Iphone and still I think its too much a lot of times.. Now in the train or wherever you go you have people tuning in on their Ipads/laptops, blackberrys and so on, not so long ago, if you were bored you just bug the girl stting next to you and start up a conversation instead of saying what you ate for breakfast to 300 followers..

or just friends and family, you just had to see them in real life to conversate (or call them haha) and now a lot of folks just chat away through Ichat with a picture or facebook and again.. so on...

Less digital living = more actual living? I thinks so..

Have a lot to say about this matter but Im just freestylin here..
so whats your look on this guys and girls?

Comments

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    its also much harder now to completely stop using the web, cause lotta shit has been digitalized.. bankstuff and insurance and blah blah..
    also I think pressure from surroundings..giving you a last of the mohicans feeling..just for not usng facebook or twitter or not ticking away on a crackberry while talking..

weird, how fast things go..and how big of an impact it has, but lots of people arent even concious enough to look at it from a third eye view.

• Jamal said:
    lots of people arent even concious enough to look at it from a third eye view.

don't wanna burst your bubble, but we all know the good days before internet!

it's a catch 22 either way........it pretty much evened out, coz now we can lear shit we may never have had the pleasure of coming up on
    yeah, it was good just to have the physical records, and them alone.......but that's your prerogative, the internet doesn't take away that choice!

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    tokyobeats said:
    Jamal said:
    lots of people arent even concious enough to look at it from a third eye view.

don't wanna burst your bubble, but we all know the good days before internet!

it's a catch 22 either way........it pretty much evened out, coz now we can lear shit we may never have had the pleasure of coming up on
    yeah, it was good just to have the physical records, and them alone.......but that's your prerogative, the internet doesn't take away that choice!

Damn i really knew/was afraid someone would take that sentence and apply it to themselves..
    i wasnt talking about you or people here..i was talking abut people in general, and believe me there are many people who arent concious of the "development" and where it has lead them.. so you arent bursting any bubbles..

Also I KNOW its my perogative, Ive stated that ^ up there.. but I just wanted to know how other people are thinking about it..

Its also not just for music , but for many other different reasons..also stated..

To clear it up (argh) Its NOT an attack, im not thinking im better then anyone else..im not asking what I should do ... just asking to the soulstrut adults what their personal view is on this, and maybe some are thinking abot stop using the internet , and so on...

• Options
    Online bill pay and soulstrut. I don't email very much at all and I do not have Internet or TV in my apartment.

To me, the funny thing about the Internet is that it can be taken away.

But, nobody can stop me from listening to my records and reading my books!!!

• yeah, those days were nice!

and i did an 1yr stint without a cell phone for similar reasons a while back....now pt2 on that and around 8 months in....people think its so hard, but they gotta remember that there was no dependence before it existed

research has proven that having too many choices around you can lead to clinical depression.......the key is to limit yourself and not deliberate (except where vinyl is concerned)

sorry if i came across as condescending, no ill vibes, i get where ur coming from ;)

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    soulone said:
    Online bill pay and soulstrut. I don't email very much at all and I do not have Internet or TV in my apartment.

Cool! I would realy like to toss out the tv too...just centre the sofas around something else...haha its really crazy that in most houses the tv is really the centre of the livingroom.

but first I need to get better to do that..

But when you turn your computer/internet on..dont you have the urge to check up on something else..like another website or ebay or whatnot?

thanks.

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    tokyobeats said:
    yeah, those days were nice!

and i did an 1yr stint without a cell phone for similar reasons a while back....now pt2 on that and around 8 months in....people think its so hard, but they gotta remember that there was no dependence before it existed

research has proven that having too many choices around you can lead to clinical depression.......the key is to limit yourself and not deliberate (except where vinyl is concerned)

sorry if i came across as condescending, no ill vibes, i get where ur coming from ;)

Ah... thats ok man, thanks for the clear up.

Exactly! there was no dependence before it existed.. thats a nice one..no mobilephone.. And didnt it bug you when you stopped using it, that you saw other people constantly calling on their mobile? not saying it would bug me ..but im just curious..

yeah limitation ..or freedom.. could also be called as;freeing yourself from some "choices"..

what do you mean by : " not deliberate" ?

• Options
    Jamal said:
    soulone said:

Cool! I would realy like to toss out the tv too...just centre the sofas around something else...haha its really crazy that in most houses the tv is really the centre of the livingroom.

but first I need to get better to do that..

But when you turn your computer/internet on..dont you have the urge to check up on something else..like another website or ebay or whatnot?

thanks.

No, I don't. When I was a kid I used to dream about hi tech stuff like cell phones that have a screen where a persons picture shows up when they are calling. But, now that it is here I don't want it anymore. I think I am the type of person who would be just fine with a landline and a reel2reel player set up as the answering machine.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    the internet has turned me into a professional procrastinator, i havent been recording a lot of music lately and when something comes up and i have to run to the store theres always that "right after i watch this video" or "after i read this post" type situation, although i'd like to blame the internet for making me lazy...i have made myself lazy, i have recently been thinking about how much i have come to hate my PC, 20,000 mp3's make me wanna puke, having to rely on my PC to record and make music, make me really miss my old cassette 4-track, although i have learned a lot using the internet, it is a catch22, i do banking and such online, buy records online, i do a lot online that i would miss if i didnt have it, i recall a few times going without internet for a few days and turning into a complete asshole and freaking out, like it was the end of the world if i couldnt get online....lol

i'd love to ditch the interent, but how much of that is really possible in the world we live in today? a few years ago i got cable for the first time, my girl and i have been together for 15yrs and 12 of those years i didnt have any cable at all (by choice) after having cable for 3 yrs, i feel i could go back to giving that up far easier then not having the internet, i also do beta testing for Microsoft as well which i really enjoy doing, sumthin else i couldnt do without having the interwebz, i cant say that i am totally dependant on it, but i use my interwebz a lot....not to mention i sit on a pc all day at work with internet access for 8 hrs and go home and spend another 5hrs or 6hrs online as well...

so even though i'd love to do without it, i can continue to make excuses as to why i need it...

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    soulone said:

No, I don't. When I was a kid I used to dream about hi tech stuff like cell phones that have a screen where a persons picture shows up when they are calling. But, now that it is here I don't want it anymore. I think I am the type of person who would be just fine with a landline and a reel2reel player set up as the answering machine.

word.

too much information nowadays.. is what i feel.. I remisce and think damn, back then you could even get so much information een if you wanted to..now just turn on internet or tv, and a lot of info..not requested but is soaked up in to the brain..and all that shit has to be processed.. i dont think people can evolve physically and mentally this fast to adapt to all this informationinput..

but that being said, for me there's also a bit of fear that youre not "up to date" not knowing things that others know..or missing out is a bteer word I guess.. although i really know Im not missing out..essentialy..but its like a gossip in scholl everyone knows about but you..hahah something like that...that feeling.

yeah..

• not deliberate...over think shit.....

simple is the best way, but seem we have to deprogram

i don't give a fuck if i fall out on the knowledge front, and keeping up to date.......I'd give anything to have per-interwebz lifestylin'.....things were real back then, and shit was way more focused!
    different strokes for different folks, and as much as I depend on it, it's love hate!!

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    dj_cityboy said:
    the internet has turned me into a professional procrastinator, i havent been recording a lot of music lately and when something comes up and i have to run to the store theres always that "right after i watch this video" or "after i read this post" type situation, although i'd like to blame the internet for making me lazy...i have made myself lazy, i have recently been thinking about how much i have come to hate my PC, 20,000 mp3's make me wanna puke, having to rely on my PC to record and make music, make me really miss my old cassette 4-track, although i have learned a lot using the internet, it is a catch22, i do banking and such online, buy records online, i do a lot online that i would miss if i didnt have it, i recall a few times going without internet for a few days and turning into a complete asshole and freaking out, like it was the end of the world if i couldnt get online....lol

i'd love to ditch the interent, but how much of that is really possible in the world we live in today? a few years ago i got cable for the first time, my girl and i have been together for 15yrs and 12 of those years i didnt have any cable at all (by choice) after having cable for 3 yrs, i feel i could go back to giving that up far easier then not having the internet, i also do beta testing for Microsoft as well which i really enjoy doing, sumthin else i couldnt do without having the interwebz, i cant say that i am totally dependant on it, but i use my interwebz a lot....not to mention i sit on a pc all day at work with internet access for 8 hrs and go home and spend another 5hrs or 6hrs online as well...

so even though i'd love to do without it, i can continue to make excuses as to why i need it...

Word.. i can relate..

But off course youre gonna think of things that keep you from stop using the internet...and vice versa.. Its all in how much you want it I guess... Its also in just doing..is what i think..just doing it..liek reading a book..just start reading and after the first few pages..(if its a good book) youre hooked..

Also with beatmaking..no internet is one less (big ass) distraction..and also a less filled mind with all that music..all that info..so more space for inspiration and creativity..

i think its like any other addcition.. some can stop smoking just like that and others really have to suffer to stop it.

thats my opinion.. thanks for sharing bro.

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    tokyobeats said:
    not deliberate...over think shit.....

simple is the best way, but seem we have to deprogram

i don't give a fuck if i fall out on the knowledge front, and keeping up to date.......I'd give anything to have per-interwebz lifestylin'.....things were real back then, and shit was way more focused!
    different strokes for different folks, and as much as I depend on it, it's love hate!!

word.
    same line.

• Finding myself sitting at a table at lunch with four other co-workers all staring at their smartphones is currently the most irritating thing in my world.

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    I would if I could. I didn't have a computer at home for six months. Good times.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Jamal said:
    Anyone here thinking about stop using the internet? Is it possible?

Even though we buy records and such, i for myself know that if I stop using the internet , I will somehow enjoy my records more..just because ill stop watching youtube videos..and so on..

think about the times before the "world wide web" and think about when you had a walkman or discman, and that was it.
    I remember the times (not so long ago..)when all i had in my room at my parents house was a cheap cd player and some stolen and borrowed cd's..that I used to bug those guys (who had money and thus the means to actually buy cd's) to lend me some cd's. Or going to a record shop and alway preteding to buy shit..scrolling through all the hiphop section, pick some of em, and ask to listen to them at the counter, and always dissapearing when he didnt look, or just say yeah im not feeling these haha...damn what a dude does to get his dose of hiphop..but I enjoyed the music even more cause it was rare and hard for me to come by..
    At that time I really listened to a cd..you know what I mean..just really tune into it..a small room, nothing else but for that cd player, and just sit down and listen to it, and imagine all the stories coming out of the speakers.. Id really love to turn back to those feelings..

I know its up to me to do it (except for some shit that has me staying home for the time being a lot) but its not a question if I should do it or not, I just would like to know what your own opinion for yourself is..

I dont even have facebook or twitter , dont own a blackberry or Iphone and still I think its too much a lot of times.. Now in the train or wherever you go you have people tuning in on their Ipads/laptops, blackberrys and so on, not so long ago, if you were bored you just bug the girl stting next to you and start up a conversation instead of saying what you ate for breakfast to 300 followers..

or just friends and family, you just had to see them in real life to conversate (or call them haha) and now a lot of folks just chat away through Ichat with a picture or facebook and again.. so on...

Less digital living = more actual living? I thinks so..

Have a lot to say about this matter but Im just freestylin here..
    so whats your look on this guys and girls?

you're off to a great start

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Now in the train or wherever you go you have people tuning in on their Ipads/laptops, blackberrys and so on, not so long ago, if you were bored you just bug the girl stting next to you and start up a conversation instead of saying what you ate for breakfast to 300 followers..

As if they didn't have Walkmen or Discmen before the iPod/iPad came along? Always some distraction.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    badder_than_evil said:
    Finding myself sitting at a table at lunch with four other co-workers all staring at their smartphones is currently the most irritating thing in my world.

I can't stand these people who think that EVERY new invention will cause the destruction of society. You know the drill: "Why do we need one of those newfangled toasters? Those things are so impersonal! Back in the good old days we'd eat our bread white and our Pop-Tarts cold! We're all on the road to hell, I tell ya!!!" And you just know that if the Internet is ever headed on the way out, people will look back at it and go: "things were much simpler compared to now!!!"

THAT SAID...

I was at a backyard cookout last Memorial Day weekend, and I'll be damned if every other person wasn't Tweeting, texting, and FB-updating their asses off. Normally, this doesn't faze me if I see people doing this on public transit. But at a BBQ in somebody's backyard? I could see if you were letting your friends know where you were so you could meet. But these people looked so focused, you'd think that they were writing entire novels and screenplays in between bites of Italian sausage.