deep late80s/early90s house trax on major labels??

erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
edited March 2011 in Strut Central
Looking beyond the great upstart house labels like Trax, Dance Mania, KMS, DJ International, Alleviated, etc. etc. What are some DEEP early house trax on major labels (excluding re-releases)? This thread was inspired by this recent discovery:

Comments

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Atlantic had a lot of lofty housey dance that was great (10 City, Jamie Principle, Steve Silk) but I guess not that deep. Trying to find the Acid Dub of "Work It Out". That one fits, the other mixes are hip housey.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Atlantic had a ton, Virgin as well, Columbia too, Chrysalis, MCA etc...

It was pretty much everywhere, most 12"s at the time seemed to have some sort of loungy/r&b/hip hop type mix & at least one house mix. It seems like pretty much every big label hired a house producer to remix one of their tracks regularly during that period (especially early 90's) & all of the big labels had subdivisions dedicated to House music.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    ost said:
    Atlantic had a ton, Virgin as well, Columbia too, Chrysalis, MCA etc...

It was pretty much everywhere, most 12"s at the time seemed to have some sort of loungy/r&b/hip hop type mix & at least one house mix. It seems like pretty much every big label hired a house producer to remix one of their tracks regularly during that period (especially early 90's) & all of the big labels had subdivisions dedicated to House music.

Care to share some favorites? In my experience, picking through the typical DJ's collection of several hundred major label house promos (which I've been doing for the past week) usually only turns up, at most, a handful of deep cuts amidst a sea of Lisa Lisa and hip house remixes.

Just to be clear, when you say "DEEP" do you mean deep house or obscure/somewhat unknown ?

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    ost said:
    Just to be clear, when you say "DEEP" do you mean deep house or obscure/somewhat unknown ?

I'm talking primarily about deep house, but I've found that deep house mixes on major labels also tend to be relatively obscure.

For the period you're speaking of:

Subdivisions of big labels:

East/West
    Big Beat
    Perspective Records
    Smash
    etc.......

Artists:

Kerri Chandler (Atlantic, + remixes elsewhere)
    Frankie Knuckles (Virgin Records, FFRR / London, etc...)
    Satoshiie Tomie (FFRR / London, Virgin, etc...)
    Basement Boys (Mercury, etc...)
    Lil Louis (FFRR / London, & Epic)
    Off Shore (Epic)
    Mark Kinchen (remixes for Columbia, Arista, etc...)
    MAW (remixes for a lot of the major labels)
    David Morales (remixes RCA, + others)
    Roger Sanchez
    Nightcrawlers (Arista)
    Ten City (Atlantic & Columbia)
    E-Smoove (remixes for most of the big labels)
    Steve Silk Hurley (remixes for most of the big labels)
    Robin S (Big Beat / Atlantic)
    Ce Ce Penniston (A&M Records)
    Crystal Waters (Mercury)
    etc...etc...etc...

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    what about 808 State?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    That Starpoint tune was a secret weapon of mine for years when I was still spinning house. David Morales used to kill it with the remixes back then - the more sleazed-out, the better.

Almost all these are early 90s, and I used to jam the fuck out of 'em. Can't believe some of this stuff is twenty years old.

(not really a major, but it did come out on Virgin in the UK, so...)