Options

That's Racist?

2»

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Currently streaming on Netflix:

• vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
    just now as I'm waking up. Crazy story.

there's a joke in there about latin americans..... but the sensitivity in this thread seems a little high

just now as I'm waking up. Crazy story.

there's a joke in there about latin americans..... but the sensitivity in this thread seems a little high

(For the record, I fell asleep at 6a. Full 6 hours of sleep.)

• vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
    i knew YOU would have gotten the joke..... i can't speak to the senses of humor of the rest of the sturt tho......

hey herm, remember that time i sent you a private message asking if its okay for white people to use the word 'cholo' endearingly and without offense?

classic.

vintageinfants said:
    i knew YOU would have gotten the joke..... i can't speak to the senses of humor of the rest of the sturt tho......

hey herm, remember that time i sent you a private message asking if its okay for white people to use the word 'cholo' endearingly and without offense?

classic.

Ha! Forgot that was you!

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    rain103 said:
    In light of recent (usually sports related) incidents and my Filipino girlfriend visiting Spain and being made fun of by ordinary citizens... Is this the general mindset in Spain or am I over analizing this...?

A friend of mine has lived in Barcelona for 7 years and his view is that Spain has relatively low levels of immigration (relative for Western Europe), and in the same way that some people of my grandparent's generation will come out with stereotypes and generalisations all the way through to plain racist terms born from a lack of integration, he thinks this is what lies behind some Spanish behaviour.

When I went to Cambodia 14 years ago I remember having people laugh at me for being Caucasian (my nose seemed to be a show-stopper for some people). Clearly some of the people I met had never seen a Honkey before, and this was easy to forgive of people in a third-world country. I forgive some of my grandparent's views on life partly through generational deference and partly because I know the world was different for them. It is hard to see how Spaniards of my generation with access to tv, the internet, newspapers etc can still have such a provincial attitude, but maybe in some cases it is innocent. Only some.

Now we know who made this though!

• rain103rain103 476 Posts
    Duderonomy said:

A friend of mine has lived in Barcelona for 7 years and his view is that Spain has relatively low levels of immigration (relative for Western Europe), and in the same way that some people of my grandparent's generation will come out with stereotypes and generalisations all the way through to plain racist terms born from a lack of integration, he thinks this is what lies behind some Spanish behaviour.

That makes sense.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    damms said:
    elise said:
    Fun Sex Law Facts:

It is illegal in Utah to marry your first cousin before the age of 65.

this has to be the funniest

Cuz nobody wants mutant kids, but everybody wants to marry a cousin eventually.