I'd love the hear the stories...

JamalJamal 410 Posts
edited February 2011 in Strut Central
again and again , on how it all got started from begining to end..

but yeah, I'd like to hears some stories or experiences from the OG's. The pre internet diggers. I wont front , before the internet, I was "diggin", but in a whole other way, not records, but any music(hiphop in those days) that I could get hold of..

I always wonder how the internet affected prices, because then you had to know it all yourself or friends would know..but now you can check it out on discogs or popsike etc. (aint saying its a good or bad thing)

Also I think -like anything else pre internet was different- the game was different, and probably had more of tight "diggin community"

im curious, dont know a lotta og's in the diggin game, but for some.

Anyway if you'd like to share..please do.

Comments

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    yeah i read those,very dope stories!

i probably should have phrased it differently haha. I just wanted to know the differences between the two era's..
    Like was it easier to find dope records, was it cheaper? It had to be different since there were no sites like soulstrut, the-breaks,discogs,ebay and so on.
    and if yall thought it was better then then know..
    just curious.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Things were cheaper, what was considered an "expensive record" was a different mental construct, and records that are desirable now were in cutout bins then, because nobody bought them when they came out. Key ingredient to raerity-->unpopular when they were released. If they were more popular, more people would have bought them, the label would have released more copies and the value wouldn't be so high now. This is not a hard and fast rule, but a general rule of thumb.

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    The_Non said:
    Things were cheaper, what was considered an "expensive record" was a different mental construct, and records that are desirable now were in cutout bins then, because nobody bought them when they came out. Key ingredient to raerity-->unpopular when they were released. If they were more popular, more people would have bought them, the label would have released more copies and the value wouldn't be so high now. This is not a hard and fast rule, but a general rule of thumb.

true, but what about the older records, that were gems before the internet, cause even diggers wouldnt all be so well informed like they are now..and also because of non diggers who possessed/sold certain records, that didnt know the value of it, like they know now, so they sold it for much and much cheaper.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Before the internet it was all about Elvis, Beatles, gatefolds, wlp and stereo v mono.
    Kidding.

The internet has brought changes in collecting.
    I used to sell my rock and classical and oldies to people who specialized in those genres. They sold me their soul jazz. Now any one can sell any record on ebay, more or less.

There were a lot fewer record sellers and more buyers.

In the 80s it was popular to pick an artist you liked and then try to get every variation of every release. I see that less and less now.

The biggest changes in collecting have always been brought about by older collectors liquidating their oldies, and young adults starting to spend money on the music they heard in high school and the groups that influenced that sound.
    So it is typical to changes every 8-15 years.

• LaserWolf said:

In the 80s it was popular to pick an artist you liked and then try to get every variation of every release. I see that less and less now.

The biggest changes in collecting have always been brought about by older collectors liquidating their oldies, and young adults starting to spend money on the music they heard in high school and the groups that influenced that sound.
    So it is typical to changes every 8-15 years.

I agree. You had "Goldmine", a magazine that was like a gateway drug to the world of record collecting. Or at least the microscopic ads were. Even though there were collectors guides, there were loads of records in those sales lists I had never heard of. The articles in "Goldmine" tended to be the preferences of the editor and writers, and of course they're written to sell magazines. Of course you'll always know about the preferences over stereo vs. mono, Moody Blues vs. Genesis, or anything. While I was a contributor to "Goldmine" in the early 90's, they were put off by me wanting to do hip-hop reviews, as that was a "non" form of music. Soul or funk? If it wasn't on Motown, it was unknown. From afar, it seemed okay to be a collector and have preferences, but not in a "grand" scale, which i always felt was bullshit.

The benefit of internet discussion on record collecting, and music in general, is that everyone got a chance to find out who liked what, and where they came from. That's when people found out for themselves that one man's scratchy Meters 45 that I bought for 40 cents here may be worth $40 over there.

Back then, you did your searches in "real time", but "real time" in the 80's and early 90's meant going through Goldmine ads, finding record finding services in the back of "Rolling Stone" and waiting 2 to 3 weeks for a reply, or going to spots when you traveled.

To me, it seemed as the industry started pushing the compact disc as a viable medium for music, that's when you read articles on how "CD's are the last format", it's perfect, it doesn't skip or scratch, which gave off the perception that it was okay to throw out every record you had so you can have it on a shiny disc. Yet as some of us remember, a lot of labels thought reissuing old music was not something worthy, and reissues weren't a primary concern.

There's always trends, but what the internet helped doing was finding out who liked what and why. By default, eBay would become the "record price guide" without a gauge as to proper value, which comes from supply and demand. Pawn shops started selling records as antiques, and some Goodwill's now sell albums "behind the counter" so you can bid on it and hope you have the winning bid.

It was about knowing, finding, and obtaining, and it still is. The time it had taken to discover label variations, pressings, and whatnot can never be taken away, but now someone can share that information and have it be of value, arguably more than the records itself.

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    aha! thanks guys, o really like finding this kinds stuff out.

probably for hiphopheads, it's also looking for samples, and finding some original stuff to sample.. that's why sampling really advanced the digging game..is what i think..

So when the CD came out, was there like an uprise in people selling their vinyl for cheap? had to be..

you know i had to google it

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Jamal said:
    aha! thanks guys, o really like finding this kinds stuff out.

probably for hiphopheads, it's also looking for samples, and finding some original stuff to sample.. that's why sampling really advanced the digging game..is what i think..

So when the CD came out, was there like an uprise in people selling their vinyl for cheap? had to be..

you know i had to google it

If you really like this stuff you need to pick up an old copy of Goldmine. Most old magazine places have back issues cheap, or sometimes someone brings them to a record show. The auction lists will blow your mind.

When ebay took off there was a lot of finding out what was more common than you thought and what was rarer.

Vouge 78 picture discs took a big hit I think.
    Most used record shops, guided by Goldmine, did not bother to stock hip hop. Too new, too not music. So when hip hop showed up on ebay the prices took off.

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    hah just what I was doing, finding some info on that Goldmine magazine..

yeah so ebay had a big influence on prices.off course from having a smaller view on supply and demand, it expanded immensely like the internet did with many other markets.

What about the prices fro rare records..where they much and much cheaper..cause some dudes i know really scavenged some countries in Europe for all the dope stuff, and back then they bought it for less then 1 percent youll find it now.

damn and now there's 3D printing ahead..maybe that means we cill be able to print out our own vinyl..damn that would be weak.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Don't let these crusty geezers fool you. There were plenty of people in the know and getting serious money for cool records pre-eBay.

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    hcrink said:
    Don't let these crusty geezers fool you. There were plenty of people in the know and getting serious money for cool records pre-eBay.

Thats what i was saying, my guess was people who were selling for cheap (not knowing what its worth)digger knows..digger buys.