Fantastic REISSUE, only 500 copies!!! WTF??

BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
edited February 2011 in Strut Central
I always see reissues of Nico Gomez "Ritual" , Placebo "Ball of Eyes" and tons of others and it always says "only 500 pressed".
If these reissues are only 500 pressed, doesn't that make it more rare or just as rare as some of the original pressings?

Can someone explain this? Is it just a selling point to say "only 500 pressed"?

Comments

• or perhaps the demand for these records is considerably less than many realise and they don't really shift that many units?

• arvidarvid 50 Posts
    neil_something said:
    or perhaps the demand for these records is considerably less than many realise and they don't really shift that many units?

That. An edition of 500 is very common for records nowadays. If you're optimistic you can do a run of 1000 copies, but a lot of record labels only release 500 copies of an album on vinyl.

• arvid said:
    neil_something said:
    or perhaps the demand for these records is considerably less than many realise and they don't really shift that many units?

That. An edition of 500 is very common for records nowadays. If you're optimistic you can do a run of 1000 copies, but a lot of record labels only release 500 copies of an album on vinyl.

- A heavily sweated OG does not always translate into reissue sales

- People jump on limited editions if they feel they will sell out soon and will procrastinate on things that will be available for a while. And then sweat those after they eventually sell out.

- A limited issue is easy to do a cut-and-dry licensing deal for and there are no worries of waiting to get your $$$ back.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Horseleech said:

- A limited issue is easy to do a cut-and-dry licensing deal for and there are no worries of waiting to get your $$$ back.

When i see the Nico Gomes and Placebo reissues it makes me wonder if they licensed it properly. It all looks a bit shady to me. Also one of the pressings is kinda bad, (1973), with a lot of copies having an off-centered hole.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    arvid said:
    neil_something said:

- A heavily sweated OG does not always translate into reissue sales

- People jump on limited editions if they feel they will sell out soon and will procrastinate on things that will be available for a while. And then sweat those after they eventually sell out.

^^^^^^^^^

i think it's also just that more and more reissues are small labors of love (one man operations) and people just want to get the music out there and not end up w/ a bunch in their closet...

even with niche items, with worldwide distro you be able to sell out of a 500 pressing reissue...

but, yes, the LTD EDITION factor helps move units, as it adds a speculator's element as well...