Tribute records

2»

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    And who is the GOAT sports celebrity crossover singer? Mostly, I think they seem to suck like Carl Lewis and Larry Holmes.

Roosevelt (Rosey) Grier recorded some incredible soul singles over the years (plus two albums - one from the sixties, and a contemporary gospel LP from the eighties). The two R.G. 45's I have are on the Amy label, and he's getting the full Memphis treatment on both of them. Rosey didn't make "golden throats"/singing celebrity records...the man held his own with all the other Southern-styled soul singers on the Amy/Mala/Bell family of labels back then (James Carr, Oscar Toney Jr., James & Bobby Purify, etc.).

I also have a really good single by Ernie Terrell (boxer) & the Heavyweights on Argo. Athletes' musical talent doesn't suck as bad as actors do (unless it's some aberration like the Chicago Bears Shuffling Crew).

I have a Meadowlark Lemon (Globetrotters) 45 that's a kind of rip of Junior Walker's 'Shotgun'. I think it's called 'Shoot A Basket'...

I have that, too - the other side (which I think is the A-side) is a remake of Lloyd Price's "Personality."

He also had an album on Casablanca in 1979, My Kids.