Country, Western and Bluegrass

2»

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    bennyboy said:
    Bit confused by this whole thread

Got to be the strangest attempt at a convo on country that I've ever witnessed

• Options
    Used to walk a ways out of the hollow to the county bus stop. Instead of puttin a smoke in my mouth, like the others, I played this little harmonica. That is how I learned to play the harmonica.

• pickwick33 said:
    Right, so what's the big difference? Half of the current acts labelled "Americana" are PERFORMING straight bluegrass, country & blues...

Yeah, it's a bit of a vague description at best. Not something I'd ever use to describe an artist.

• pickwick33 said:
    CousinLarry said:
    Jimmie Rodgers, Hank Williams Sr., Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Charlie Rich are all really good country artists. Stay away from Chet Atkins and the schmaltz he produced.

...but know that Atkins (or his associates) produced Rich, Jennings and Nelson at one point. While they too got the sappy Nashville treatment, several of their sides in this vein are really good despite the string sections and choruses.

I agree some of the tracks are still decent, mainly because they are great artists, but they all hit their peak when they broke free of the Atkins sound and did their own thing. Digging into the work those artist did with Atkins should be saved for after checking out the real shit, IMHO

• CousinLarry said:
    pickwick33 said:
    CousinLarry said:
    Jimmie Rodgers, Hank Williams Sr., Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Charlie Rich are all really good country artists. Stay away from Chet Atkins and the schmaltz he produced.

...but know that Atkins (or his associates) produced Rich, Jennings and Nelson at one point. While they too got the sappy Nashville treatment, several of their sides in this vein are really good despite the string sections and choruses.

I agree some of the tracks are still decent, mainly because they are great artists, but they all hit their peak when they broke free of the Atkins sound and did their own thing. Digging into the work those artist did with Atkins should be saved for after checking out the real shit, IMHO

There's a Willie Nelson CD that came out about 2 or 3 years ago called Naked Willie, which collected a grip of his RCA/Chet Atkins sides with the strings 'n' things removed...

• pickwick33 said:
    CousinLarry said:
    pickwick33 said:
    CousinLarry said:

There's a Willie Nelson CD that came out about 2 or 3 years ago called Naked Willie, which collected a grip of his RCA/Chet Atkins sides with the strings 'n' things removed...

Now that sounds good.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    When I played the fingerpicking cut that started the thread first thing I thought was:
    Chet Atkins Merle Travis duo record that came out in the 70s.

Atkins recorded a grip of guitar lps in the 70s that would fit right in with what OP seems to be looking for.

As a producer, Atkins is one of the worse things that ever happened to Nashville.
    As a guitarist he is great.

• LaserWolf said:
    When I played the fingerpicking cut that started the thread first thing I thought was:
    Chet Atkins Merle Travis duo record that came out in the 70s.

Atkins recorded a grip of guitar lps in the 70s that would fit right in with what OP seems to be looking for.

As a producer, Atkins is one of the worse things that ever happened to Nashville.
    As a guitarist he is great.

His own records can be just as schlocky as the people he produced, but every now and then he'd cut through all the syrup.

That Chester & Lester album he did with Les Paul was a good one...

• Options
    I heard there is a lot of good C&W on 45rpm 7"'s.

Are people starting to get back into country, western, and bluegrass 45's?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    soulone said:
    I heard there is a lot of good C&W on 45rpm 7"'s.

Yeah, just like there's a lot of good rock & roll and rhythm & blues on 45 RPM. And?

Are people starting to get back into country, western, and bluegrass 45's?

Never knew it was a trend in the first place.

• Options
    I think the trend started in the C&W jukeboxes.

The people who hungout around those jukeboxes could be getting back into the nostalgic saloon sound as A form of feedback, perhaps, by parents who's kids are into techno.

Need some context here: where would these C&W jukes be? Is that a big retro phenomenon where you live?

• Options
    In rural areas, like eastern Kentucky. Shoot, where I am from we never progressed in to disco.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

• Options
    ^^ hahaha, never heard before.

Thanks for sharing Rock. I wish I knew a little more about the vocalists that sing together. I think they talk my language a little bit better.

soulone said:
    In rural areas, like eastern Kentucky. Shoot, where I am from we never progressed in to disco.

Where I am, the few leftover C&W bars from the sixties have already switched to digital jukes that play Lady Antebellum. So I'd say you got a good thing going out there...
    :-)