NBA Slam Contest 2011

leftybanksleftybanks 165 Posts
edited February 2011 in Strut Central
http://www.nba.com/video/channels/allstar/2011/02/20/20110219_dunks_recap.nba/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

What's the Strut opinion?

I thought McGee had the most technically difficult dunks but the 3-for-1 dunk lacked style, regardless of how fucking hard it might have been to pull off (his first round dunk was sick though). I thought Blake performed under expectation. The elbow dunk was cool until you remembered that Vince Carter already did it. And dunking over a car with a choir singing in the background and Baron Davis lobbing through the sun roof was just overbaked. Next time, dunk over the length of a car.

In any case, Blake won the moment he made the finals. If fans are voting, Blake was going to win unless he absolutely flubbed his two final dunks. I also thought McGee had an unexpectedly tepid final dunk. It's like he blew all his best ideas early.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Barkley called it right. The Car dunk was all presentation w/ a wack dunk.

Lettin the fans vote.....How dumb can the NBA be. The fans voted for Yao Ming.

The casual fans deosnt know who McGhee is. Stupid ass American Idol nonsense.

Im glad James Jones won the three-point contest.

• I mean, Griffin is the home-team hero. It would've been a bad look had he lost. Imagine the fans chanting "Griffin Got Robbed" or some nonsense while some other person was holding the trophy. Griffin definitely underperformed. His first dunk was probably his best dunk in the entire contest.

Ibaka got robbed in the first round. That foul-line dunk should've been automatic 50. His foot was ON if not BEHIND the line, and not IN FRONT of it like Dr. J.

Derozan got almost NO LOVE last night. That East Bay Funk Remix was the most athletic dunk the entire night.

And McGee, still Chief of DC.

Sorry, but the man should've won. In regards to the degrees of difficulty involved in them, he should've won. Two dunks on two backboards?! Three balls in one?! Come on. All Blake needed was Bob Barker telling him he won the car after he dunked over it.

Charles Barkley is the greatest announcer.

• I thought Blake performed under expectation. The elbow dunk was cool until you remembered that Vince Carter already did it.[/quote

and

I think Griffin could've put his whole arm in there had he not lobbed it, but then his arm would've been shattered to pieces.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    batmon said:

Lettin the fans vote.....How dumb can the NBA be. The Chinese fans voted for Yao Ming.
    fixed

it was the most entertaining in like 5 years but there were way too many 1st attempt misses
    Derozean or what's his name should have made it to the final round but we would have never witnessed the stunt Blake and Kenny pulled

Griffin didnt win that event.

• I loved how that one guy in the choir thought he was going to have his solo. Griffin said "none of that" and dunked it anyway. I think dunking over the choir would've definitely been more impressive. A "Leap Of Faith" dunk would've been amazing.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Derozen was robbed

Pam Mcghee is old and horny

Jevale was too busy selling yellow shoes

Baron's passes were off on both dunks

The church choir was one of the silliest things i've ever seen......dointoomuch

The little kid wanting his monkey off the rim was the silliest things i've ever seen

Tim Duncan has more personality than Blake Griffin

Ibaka took off further than Doc and Mike.....but he didn't look half as cool doing it.

John Stockton has more personality than Blake Griffin.

Eliminate the clock ....give dudes 3 chances to attempt a dunk and thats it...all the scrambling to dunk before 0:00 looks foolish

Eliminate the props....monkeys,capes,cupcakes,cars,chairs......allthatshitisbullshit

• the NBA continues to move in the opposite direction of reason and objectivity with this event. derozan won this contest for two reasons. 3 dunks: 3 attempts, and doing dunks of higher difficulty with greater ease.

the dunk-off's death rattle was allowing fans to start voting BEFORE the final round even got under way. if that's not the most glaring example of a popularity contest I don't know what is.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Griffin was the 3rd or 4th best dunker
    Jokes

Still, best dunk contest in a while

• incompletejigsaw said:

Ibaka got robbed in the first round. That foul-line dunk should've been automatic 50. His foot was ON if not BEHIND the line, and not IN FRONT of it like Dr. J.

:NO:

First, he barely got that dunk in, while Dr. J powered it in and Jordan cocked it back mid-air. Also, how tall is Ibaka?

IMO, the dunk contest is only good when you have a shooting guard or small forward like Vince Carter/Jordan/'Nique or even better, someone like Spud or the short dude who used to play for the Knicks.

Watching someone who is 6' !0" (or even worse, 7 ft) dunk is just not a big deal, no matter how many props you add.

A 7 footer can usually come close to touching the rim without even jumping. Boring.

• vintageinfants said:
    derozan won this contest for two reasons. 3 dunks: 3 attempts, and doing dunks of higher difficulty with greater ease.

the dunk-off's death rattle was allowing fans to start voting BEFORE the final round even got under way. if that's not the most glaring example of a popularity contest I don't know what is.

I'll give you the fact that Derozan's dunks were of greater difficulty considering the execution of it plus his size, but it took him about FIVE attempts to accomplish the East Bay Funk Dunk Remix. Two of those attempts looked like him and his partner were not communicating well.

As for the voting, they should open the voting only AFTER both contestants have completed their dunks. How do you announce that voting is open BEFORE?! Even with American Idol the voting doesn't open until AFTER everyone has performed. Crazy. Ness.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    the horny mom comment is on point
    the voting is absurd and diminishes the contest's legacy
    the choir and car was ridiculously corny
    yet it was way more entertaining then in the past 3 contests which is not saying much
    at least there was no wheel to spin

edpowers said:
    Derozen was robbed

Pam Mcghee is old and horny

Jevale was too busy selling yellow shoes

Baron's passes were off on both dunks

The church choir was one of the silliest things i've ever seen......dointoomuch

The little kid wanting his monkey off the rim was the silliest things i've ever seen

Tim Duncan has more personality than Blake Griffin

Ibaka took off further than Doc and Mike.....but he didn't look half as cool doing it.

John Stockton has more personality than Blake Griffin.

Eliminate the clock ....give dudes 3 chances to attempt a dunk and thats it...all the scrambling to dunk before 0:00 looks foolish

Eliminate the props....monkeys,capes,cupcakes,cars,chairs......allthatshitisbullshit

truth

• leaving half a day of digestion, im feeling a widespread sense of shame in the general populace for getting caught up in the hype.

best dunk contest in years? not a fucking chance. ill admit that it was better than jumping off someones back, but i was furious seeing griffin get a 45+ score by doing a plain old 360 dunk.

attempt 1: 360 two hand windmill. attempt 2: 360 two hand pump. attempt 3: 360. but got scored on the first attempt.

i hope they just fold up the whole thing. the last real dunk off was when vince carter won.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Slam Dunk Contest 2025 = Trampolines, Trapeeze & Helium Filled Sumo Wrestling Suits

Derozan had the best dunk last night.

Griffin's bounce pass reverse dunk during the Frosh/Soph game was better than anything he did in the contest.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    When reached for comment, Blake Griffin had this to say to the hateurs:

Dude's reminding me of Shawn Kemp right now. We'll see if he steps up his outside game and stays healthy.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    batmon said:
    Griffin didnt win that event.

But, he did "...jump over the official vehicle of the NBA".

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Only 2 years away from my nephew, Bryan Narcisse, winning the NBA dunk contest...