Say Nope To DOPE

jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
edited February 2011 in Strut Central
Is this word done yet? It grates my nerves. Can we find other words to describe how somethin hiphoppy makes us feel? Like diesel or boss ;-/

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    5 year latte pas

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Nope. Dope is still in use over here. We also still keep it Fresh

• i use words like Ill, Fly, Dope and Fresh daily multiple times....

no need to say nope to dope!

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    in real live i speak dutch

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    jaymack said:
    Is this word done yet?

Not done in the east bay by any means. I feel like I hear that word more now than ever before.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    What weirds me out is when people (my parents mostly) refer to weed as dope. To me, dope is white and powdery.

• BLATANT BATMON KISS UP POSTURING.

Seriously, this has been his campaign for a while- I remember saying his job was "d*PE" once, and asking if I could come visit, and he said, "yes, as long as you don't say d*PE." Shit still makes me laugh.

:oof: :sonned:

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Dope 4 Life.

Yes, Batmon was hatin' 5 years ago...

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    It's use is helpful in identifying corny motherfuckers whos' opinions are often 'wack'.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    Haha, oh i remember the campaigns of yesteryear. Just feel it was lost along the way. Cause i still see that shit daily and it makes me squeemish. Reminds me of this artsy white dude with dirty dreads that smelled like patchuli oil i used to know

• Options
    Uh, "chill."

About 20 years past done.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    To piss off Batmon even more, say you're "gettin' it in".

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Wack is the same as Dope, but hasnt been abused by everyone and their fuckin mother.

Chill is just an extension of Cool/Cool out. Not the same as DOPE Longer history. And was never "replaced" by another slang word.

Dope got pushed to the back when HYPE came out.

U can use ANY outdated, classic form of slang IMO.

But dudes w/ a very limited sense of slanguage fall back on DOPE because their game is limited.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I said "delf" just the other day.

Okem said:
    It's use is helpful in identifying corny motherfuckers whos' opinions are often 'wack'.

http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/58956/

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    DOR said:
    Okem said:
    http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/58956/
    I wondered if anybody would be bothered enough to search through my history to find that *shock horror* may I have used the term. Unfortunately you fail. I retitled that thread to quote Herm. (although I had originally called it something equally hyperbolic and retarded.)

To be clear, if I'm really be called for this tongue in cheek comment, I have no problem with peoples occasional use of such terms. But like Batmon said if you're over using it you just come off like a clown.

see.

But it doesn't help that the people who do seem to abuse this term, also seem to be living in some kind of early 90s pastiche theme mind garden.

HAHA,

No need to get madd. I was just playin'

It's not really that tough to put "Okem" "Dope" in Google and get hits in seconds. And like I said, it was in fun for the most part.

I wouldn't put much into what Batmon says. He does want you to "TAKE THAT SHIT TO THE-BRITS.COM" after all...

In the end, I couldn't really give a fuck. I've been saying dope since the 80's. I might use it 5 times a year. Hip Hop brought the usage of the word to my attention and the thing that brought me to hip hop was the idea of do what you want, when you want, how you want and don't care what people say. The only people who had a problem with the word when I was a kid, were up tight white people.

• Dope has been back in use for about 2 years in LA with the younger set. They missed it the first time around so they are just now "gettin it in.".

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i was given a first hand story of the origin of "dunn"

it was originally "thun"

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    What about "tits"? Do people still use that?

• leonleon 883 Posts
    dj_cityboy said:

Yo that drawing is fuskin TITS man, did you do that?

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    elise said:
    yes
    babies.
    if you consider them people that is..:)

• I use tits all the time.

Also, I say "dope" more than any other person I know and I ain't changing that for no one! If I say something is dope you'll know EXACTLY what I think about whether you hate the word or not. Right? Right.

• mack/ macking surely must be worse

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    damms said:
    elise said:
    yes
    babies.
    if you consider them people that is..:)

If a baby said "tits" to me, I would be scared.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Herm said:
    I use tits all the time.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    Dope,ill,Fresh,Word,Mad,Def,Fly,etc..I'm cool with these are the ones.

I cannot stand...

Legit
    Hella
    Tight
    Dogg

That Legit one I hear on a regular basis and it seems to be a word that most cats into the whole "Juggalo" scene tend to grasp. I loathe the juggalo.

I wish "buster" was used a bit more. I still incorporate every now and again, but probabaly say it just as much as, "You don't know Naaathan!"

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    age said:

I wish "buster" was used a bit more. I still incorporate every now and again, but probabaly say it just as much as, "You don't know Naaathan!"

I actually use "buster" quite a bit. *seinfeld shrug*

• I use "buster" and "mark" often. "Trick" too from time to time.