It's about time for some FIVES...

eliseelise 3,252 Posts
edited February 2011 in Strut Central
Eins: I am feeling finally established in my new apartment and neighborhood. Also, I am getting used to living alone. I am feeling it everyday. Grownuptalk. (Also, I will add that I am proud of myself for being able to pay as much as I do here in SF. It ain't cheap!)

Zwei: Getting back into making mixes again. I threw some out into the Facebook world for fun, but I am actually compiling a forrealforreal mix of songs and samples that I have been feeling. I miss that schitt.

Drei: Almost finished with Culinary School. I worked my butt off this last year and a half (80-100 hour weeks). Can't wait for it to be over with so I can start DOING IT. No complaints.

Vier: London. This summer. I always loved traveling alone. Maybe I can find an internship of some sort when I am out there. Expanding my horizons.

F??nf: Coming back to SoulStrut. I missed you buttheads, I admit it. I have met some pretty amazing, beautiful and talented people on here.

??Viva la SoulStrut!

Comments

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    ??? Another semester of grad school.
    ??? Finally joined my local community gym. It's me and a bunch of soccer moms and retired men, but I'm loving every minute of it. I'm trying to build my strength since I've always been so slight.
    ??? I've discovered a couple new cupcakeries around town. However, I've actually been eating less despite my increase in exercise.
    ??? I'm going to be a bridesmaid.
    ??? I've been reading a lot.

• 1. I haven't smoked since last Friday.

2. Last Friday I DJ'ed a swinging rare groove night with 2 DJ's I really look up to as diggers.

3. I have bought all the parts I need to fix my car (which I crashed.. whoops).

4. We just found out we're getting paid bonuses where I work.

5. This really nice chick keeps giving me the eye.

:shit_yeah:

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    1. Aden Joseph Torres was born on 1/28. It's a boy! Nuff said there.

2. Finally got a job after looking since May. Not long to some but I was about to sell pre-needs funeral insurance on a "need job now" moment. Passed my state test and everything. Whew! Great thing is I get to work from home the majority of time (next two weeks straight) so I can help my wife if she needs a break.

3. My aunt and uncle are doing pretty good since the Pg&e thing. They're staying in a nice house overlooking a golf course so its nice and peaceful. My uncle is healing nice though my aunt has a lot more surgeries to go to get her hands working the way they should. I'm glad she can do light cooking again and can pretty much open the door for you. My other aunt is FINALLY getting out this wknd and going to her PT place for the next few weeks. Hope this helps her too.

4. Been getting back in to tracking down Bay Area musicians and those on the scene. Meeting up with some great guys with cool stories. Finally got the time to talk to the members of the Two Things In One who are my favorite local group. Meeting up with them in person soon to get my records signed.

5. Finding OLD friends on facebook (yes I said it!) After I posted a bunch of pictures from the bomb magazine I had folks writing to me who I've not spoken to in over a decade. Fifteen years or more for some of them. It's been a real joy catching up with old friends and seeing how they're doing. The power of music brings us ALL together.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Congratulations on your baby boy!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    1. Still drunk from last night. Yep, since I've been a hermit the past couple of months, that's actually a good thing that signifies a good time had last night. Hi, P*trick, Br*an, and D*ve.

2. Writing again. Got 3 blogs going now...yee haw!

3. My beautiful daughter. My beautiful daughter. My beautiful daughter. And all the fun we have together.

4. Runnin' Horns bout to be voted #1. Happened last year as well, but this time it's going to stick.

5. This week in Austin has been very Spring-like...thank God. That prolonged freezing shit truly sucked.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    1. Roller skating. Finaly got my own skates and been going to roller disco every week. Learning some cool moves, meeting cool people, and sharing good boogie music with people at the rink. (wednesdays in Milpitas)

2. Hint unsweetened essence water. Good shit. Pomegranate and cucumber are awesome.

3. Fantasy baseball pre-draft research.

4. White Elephant sale (it's that time of year again!)

5. My job is awesome as usual. (Google)

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    jinx74 said:

YOOOOOO, congrats brother that is awesome!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    1) Checked out the new Korean Tex-Mex spot called Goghee for lunch???.I will be a regular.

2) Weather is finally Texas-like at 80 degrees w/a nice breeze. I don???t know how folks put up with all that snow/ice/slush/shit for 4 months a year. It was fun when I was a kid but one week a year is enough for me now???.just enough to remind me why I left that stuff behind.

3) Spent the week with 20 associates from China and had a blast???.tequila is a universal language???..the pineapple pastries they brought over are the shit.

4) Almost time for Spring cleaning when I blast War???s ???All Day Music??? LP on repeat and discover I have bought a lot more records during the past year than I imagined.

5) MLB players reported to Spring Training this week???..the one time of year that always makes me feel like a kid again.

Congrats to Daddy Jinx!!

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    jjfad027 said:
    1. Roller skating. Finaly got my own skates and been going to roller disco every week. Learning some cool moves, meeting cool people, and sharing good boogie music with people at the rink. (wednesdays in Milpitas)

I have been wanting to do this myself! I was so good at "shoot the duck" back in the day...

jinx74 said:

2. Finally got a job after looking since May. Not long to some but I was about to sell pre-needs funeral insurance on a "need job now" moment. Passed my state test and everything. Whew! Great thing is I get to work from home the majority of time (next two weeks straight) so I can help my wife if she needs a break.

That is awesome. Congrats, Jinx!

• 1) I quit my job for a better one! b/w got a nice fat last check with a month's vacation and 2010 bonus tacked on

2) I am really in love with my home and am so proud of what I did with it. Music room/home studio with lots of fun instruments/toys, family room for watching games with friends, dining room for entertaining. It's a stoner's paradise and it's decorated perfectly

3) time off in between jobs! so necessary.

4) I got a PS3 for Christmas and am addicted. but i guess that could belong in my bottom as well

5) THIS http://greatgatsbygame.com/

• 1. My girl asked me if I would be her husband...I said yes of course. Just ordered our wedding bands last week.
    2. My crappy job got a little better as they moved me to the education department, get out of there at 3:30 now...before the kid's meds wear off and they go bezerk.
    3. Being fortunate enough to have to make decisions like should we honeymoon in Paris or Ireland?
    4. Finding good records on the regular
    5. Had a good DJ night this past weekend, got paid more than expected AND I found a bag of weed layin' on the floor at the club.

• The_Hook_Up said:
    1. My girl asked me if I would be her husband...I said yes of course. Just ordered our wedding bands last week.

CONGRATULATIONS, HOOK!

and I been digging your radio show, keep doin' what you're doin'

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    1. Excited about playing music again. Finally learning piano.

2. The process of building our dream home has begun.

3. Soul Strut: Falling in love with this place all over again.

4. 70+ degrees in mid-February

5. Simplifying my living space (about to sell our home-related)

• The_Hook_Up said:
    1. My girl asked me if I would be her husband...I said yes of course. Just ordered our wedding bands last week.
    2. My crappy job got a little better as they moved me to the education department, get out of there at 3:30 now...before the kid's meds wear off and they go bezerk.
    3. Being fortunate enough to have to make decisions like should we honeymoon in Paris or Ireland?
    4. Finding good records on the regular
    5. Had a good DJ night this past weekend, got paid more than expected AND I found a bag of weed layin' on the floor at the club.

Congratulations!
    The wife and I honeymooned in Ireland. Absolutely beautiful and we loved Dublin.

• 1) My daughter - She is awesome. Getting ready to crawl and start tearing down the house any minute.

2) My wife's health is pretty much back to normal after a long hospital stay and illness. Don't take your loved one's health for granted.

3) Playing music. Finally getting comfortable on the guitar and am ready to tackle our new piano.

4) Finally free of the cold that had been kicking my ass for the past two weeks.

5) 75 degrees today in Richmond!

• congrats jtoro and hookup!!

dont know if i can even rattle off 5, theres been so many little annoying things that have beendistracting me from the good things...
    still

1. 70 degree weather for 3 days in philly!!!! its just the spring training weather filtering up the coast....phillies are all business and gonna murder people this year. let the homicides begin

2. feels real good to be back home after Thailand vacation. the trip was top notch (i still got a lot of pics i need to post up), but its a great feeling to be happy to be home...even in the middle of Northeast winter. been cooking a lot and my housemate and neighbors are great

3. got down with a nascent organization reflecting my apocalyptic views on society but trying to do positive community resilience things instead of dwelling on the negative. was amused to meet a guy there whose daughter i had a crush on in highschool.

4. took a rare visit to nyc and got shitfaced with good ol boys from my school, kicked it to many bar women (nothing came out of it, but fun regardless) and caught up with the legendary Possum Tom in cozy Good Records.

5. finally got into a groove and a good motivational partnership to make some music related shit happen. some long simmering shit is finally gonna get put together in the next few months.

shit fives:
    1.computer broke. external harddrive broke.
    2.car has issues...i think i got gagged by the used car salesman last year...never a happy realization
    3. all my batteries ran out: portables, thermostats, smoke alarms, remotes, etc
    4. bitch ass ebay bidders returning a $600 record cause he said it was in poor condition and skipped. upon return, no skips and looks very very clean for a vg+ record. a pox on em

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    bir: My homie Hobo D is flying out from TX to DJ with me 3 nights in a row next week! (Layover in Oakland on Thursday and Make Out Room on Saturday!). We are going to murder shit!

Iki: Loving the beautiful rainy weather in the Bay Area. The clouds have been :next_level:

????: Just got word from my boss that I'm going to Peru in April and Colombia in June. Crates will be hit hard during any and all spare moments!

d??rt: Got the Photoshop CS5 suite on my laptop!!!

be??: The new Italian spot by my house.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    musica said:

Iki: Loving the beautiful rainy weather in the Bay Area. The clouds have been :next_level:

I am loving the weather, as well. Perfect for moody music making.

Plaese to share. kthnxbai.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Congrats Hook Up!

As for my Fives, I dunno. I'm so in love with life right now I can't even begin to narrow it down to "things" and all. That's a cop out I know, but I feel more alive than I have in a long long time, since before I even started posting on this site even. And everything, EVERYTHING, is reflecting that in my life. It's fucking crazy.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Plus I'm working harder than ever in my life right now other than perhaps when I had to learn how to walk again after my car accident. But this is different. And everything is falling into place. SO CRAZY.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    elise said:

Plaese to share. kthnxbai.

My girl and I go here at least once a week: http://www.enoteca-molinari.com/

• Un: Deejaying a black light GITD body paint party with a friend of mine tonight, playing mostly eighties electro/hip hop. Word's spreading around campus about our show, we're playing almost every week - most fun I've had ever-related.

Deux: Got a job with a magazine out of Royal Oak translating their articles into French. Getting paid plus two credits for the semester.

Trois: Brother bear has a serious ladyfriend in his life and he's the happiest I've seen him in a while which makes me infinitely happy.

Quatre: Playing football on the street yesterday in a tee-shirt thanks to way out of the ordinary for February in Michigan 50 degree weather.

Cinq: Spring break in a week! Finally going back home to the frozen tundra of the upper peninsula to see the fam/dogs/friends and relax.

Life is good. People are cool.