skips in your record

davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
I have this record that is perfectly mint except on one track it skips inexplicably. anyways, i went to the skip and tracked down where it was. then i spun the record backwards over the skipped part and now it doesn't skip anymore.never heard anyone doing this might be helpful to those with that can-vitamin c that skips.dave

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    This can be a good method, I think someone else has mentioned it before.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    i usually just take a little weight off the tone arm, that usually works for me

• This is a regular method used at my house. Also, for the ones you just can't get out...try playing it and applying pressure to the needle over the spot. If it doesn't work, try and try again. I pulled a skip out of one of my favorite 45s after 3 years of trying. Works well on those beat ass raers too. Keep running it backwards. Miracles do happen.

• Evil D and Mr Walt were just talking about that exact trick in Scratch mag...

they also had a trick to get a warp out of a record, take your 1200 outside with the
    cover still attatched on a sunny day, put the record on the platter and close the top, let it get all wavy like, and then turn it off, open the top and take it out of the sun...

anybody tried that?

sounds kinda risky, but if you got some shit warped beyond playable it might just do the trick...

also using a lot of cleaning fluid and a record vacume works good for me taking out
    skips that aren't scratch related,

just let the fluid sit on the record for a while and then vacume it off...

• wihlsunwihlsun 63 Posts
    I went to the skip and tracked down where it was.

magnifying glass comes in handy! and helps prevent damage to adjacent grooves.