Toilet Fix Strut

behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
edited February 2011 in Strut Central
Since my super is a total bum and won't work past 5 or on the weekends I am in need of help.

My toilet is running. LOUD! and I don't have a top tank. any fixes for this? doesn't seem like there is anything I can do...

advice? Google search yields nothing.

Comments

• behemoth said:
    Since my super is a total bum and won't work past 5 or on the weekends I am in need of help.

My toilet is running. LOUD! and I don't have a top tank. any fixes for this? doesn't seem like there is anything I can do...

advice? Google search yields nothing.

That kind of toilet is called a 'flushometer'.

Repair tips here:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Wsz67CfIVF0J:www.plumbingsupply.com/troubleshooting-sloan-flush-valves.html+flushometer+repair+water+running&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com

BTW, your super is an idiot for not running to fix this because if your toilet gets clogged your building will flood pronto.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    Yea he refuses to answer the phone after 5. same idiot who doesn't put signs up when they elevator is out

Yea he refuses to answer the phone after 5. same idiot who doesn't put signs up when they elevator is out Of order.

I don't think I can fix this on my own.

• not only could your building flood, but that means water is running all night non-stop and that some real shit...

so whats going on when you look in the tank?

a lot of the times with a running toilet it usually means there sumthin up with your flapper...i had an issue with mine when i lived in my old place....we had to give the flush lever a lil jiggle every-so-often..turned into a pain in the neck...my buddy decided he was going to "fix" it for us...he came running into my studio 5 minutes later dripping in water and so was my ceiling...lol

• Do you have a flushometer like it shows in my link? These can be tricky and require real tools, not just a screwdriver/pliers.

It's a totally different animal than a tank, which can usually be fixed really easily.

You might consider hiring a plumber and billing your landlord. If you can talk to him directly, explain the potential damage that can easily come if this isn't fixed soon, not to mention the huge water bill he's running up.

• With this thread title, I think that just about covers every topic...

Horseleech said:
    Do you have a flushometer like it shows in my link? These can be tricky and require real tools, not just a screwdriver/pliers.

It's a totally different animal than a tank, which can usually be fixed really easily.

You might consider hiring a plumber and billing your landlord. If you can talk to him directly, explain the potential damage that can easily come if this isn't fixed soon, not to mention the huge water bill he's running up.

its this kind. i told my super its been running for 3 hrs and there is condensation on all the metal parts and he is coming to fix it now.

i think he would rather replace a valve than have the apartment below me flood

• it's going to be difficult to get rid of the condensation fully, but if it's actually leaking that shit needs to get fixed quick times. he'll show up with a pipe wrench and teflon tape to put on the threads and consider it fixed. be prepared to do this again in a year.

He showed me how to turn the water off. I just turn it on when I need to use it. On Monday he'll buy the new thread.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    behemoth said:
    buy the new thread.
    :post_modern: , I was thinking of this thread

I just put in a half/full flush system in my toilet, total euroman style. Wasted more water tweeking the new system, than I will saving it. Sucks.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    gareth said:
    With this thread title, I think that just about covers every topic...

I was hoping for a "Rep your toilet" thread, but alas this is not one of those threads. Soulstrut is slippin'.