Movers in NYC recommendations?

prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
edited February 2011 in Strut Central
So the wife and I are moving into a new spot at the end of the month and our motto is 'fuck moving all this shit up and down 4 flights'.

So do any of the grown NYC strutters have suggestions for good moving companies?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• I've heard bad things about Moishe's.

I also live four floors up and that's why I'm never moving.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Schlepper's was good. Get a flat rate up front, though. If you give them a chance to milk the clock by doing it hourly, that's exactly what they'll do.

• I used Dumbo movers on the recommendation of a fellow friend of mine. They do not charge hourly.I have used them twice so far. Never a problem. The fee is per item (IE one mattress, 5 large boxes, etc) One both occasions we ended up with more boxes (usually my records) than we had projected and they let it go for now charge. They also have a storage facility in case your move out and move in date rent within the same day. If we were moving a third time I would use them again. My friend used them at least twice. No problems. They were careful with our stuff, records and equipment, baby crib, etc.

http://www.dumbomove.com/
    Here are some reviews http://brooklyn.citysearch.com/profile/45412452/brooklyn_ny/dumbo_moving_storage.html

• I used Flat Rate Movers a couple of years ago. They ask you a ton of questions, come up with a price and that's it. They may not be the absolute cheapest, but they were good and exactly as advertised.

Stick to a reputable company - I've heard plenty of horror stories of people having their stuff held hostage if they didn't come up with a lot of extra $$$ for delivery.

• I've actually used the movers that come recommended when you rent a truck yourself a couple of times, both without incident. Both times, small local operations that had contracted with the truck company. Perhaps I was lucky though.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    there is a dude in BKLYN called Man With Van who you should NOT use....

my friend hired him because he was cheap and it was just some hipster dude with a small truck who showed up hung over...

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    behemoth said:

my friend hired him because he was cheap and it was just some hipster dude with a small truck who showed up hung over...

LOL

• Thanks everyone. Horseleech, the wife actually set up an appointment with Flat Rate today to have them come over and draw up a quote, so that is good to have someone vouch for them.

What kind of price range should I expect? I'm looking at a 1.5-2 bedroom with about 1 5x5 expedit of records and minimal equipment.

• prof_rockwell said:
    What kind of price range should I expect? I'm looking at a 1.5-2 bedroom with about 1 5x5 expedit of records and minimal equipment.

There's a lot of variables. The amount of stairs, distance from the sidewalk etc figure into it almost as much as your stuff.

I moved from a second floor to a ground floor apt a couple miles away with about 5000 Lps, 1500 45s
    and about an average amount of stuff for a single guy in a two bedroom and it was $1000 IIRC.

• http://www.moversnotshakers.com/
    i have used them 4 times, and they are nice, upstanding, fair.
    treated my records and pianos well, without complaint.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    musica said:
    behemoth said:

LOL

ziggy?