PORTLAND, OR SPOTS-RECS, SWAPS, MID-CENTURY MODERN, & RESTAURANTS

esskayesskay 221 Posts
edited February 2011 in Strut Central
-Hello-
Going with the girlfriend this weekend to Portland-we both have never been there. Will do minimal record digging but wanted to maximize my time doing this-maybe one afternoon. I was thinking that the 3 spots to go to are Crossroads, Mississippi Records, & Jump Jump but wanted feedback on Hall Of Records, Sonic Recollections, Quality Records, Music Millenium, Everyday Music, & 2nd Av Records-I'm up for looking at all types of used records but naturally jazz/soul/funk/latin/brazilian/psych/etc are my preferred things. In addition what are the good swap meets/flea markets on Saturday-Sunday where records are likely to pop up. Also any ideas on eclectic restuarants-Top 5 & cool mid century/50s to 70s modern furniture, etc stores. Lastly is it worth it to go to Salem for the record stores or digging? I guess it's only an hour away. Thanks in advance.

SK

Comments

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Suggested itinerary.

Day 1. Hit tasty and sons up for breakfast (restaurant of the year, Burmese Red Pork Stew is a must), then visit Mississippi records and 99 cent records. Across the street from 99 cent records, stop by my place to peruse the for sale box. Late lunch at Olympic Provisions or a sandwich at Laurelhurst Market. If you go to Laurelhurst Market go over to Music Millennium aka the Museum of Why Record Stores Are Going Out of Business. Upstairs has lots of vinyl reissues and some used vinyl that's been sitting around for years. On the plus side Fernando Viciconte, an amazing local musician, is playing on Sat at 3pm followed by Michael Franti at 6pm. Maybe you can request some Beatnigs. Then hit Sonic and Crossroads in SE till the end of the day. Dinner at Pok Pok, killer Thai food. The Chicken Wings are a must.

Day 2 See Dan at Jump Jump, hit up the mid century furniture store on Hawthorne next to Timbuktunes, a great world music CD store that has untold treasures. Then walk across the street to Exiled.

I wouldn't waste my time looking for records in Salem. PM for any more help.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    I heard Beast is good.

http://www.beastpdx.com/

Oh, and don't forget your bike!

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    elise said:
    I heard Beast is good.

http://www.beastpdx.com/

Oh, and don't forget your bike!

LMFAO!!!!!! We have guys just like this here in Seattle too. These fools have yelled "Share the road!" at me when I was driving downtown in my car.

• Here are my one sentence reviews on the stores you mentioned:
    Everyday Music is only good if you live here in Portland as they are usually pretty inconsistent on good used vinyl. 2nd Avenue I wouldn't recommend for someone visiting unless you want to get a cool band t-shirt. Hall of Records is a bit pricey but a good selection, plus the atmosphere and the food I've had there is great. Haven't been to Quality Records in a while so can't really give a good review on them. Same with Music Millenium and Sonic Recollections. Crossroads is great, highly recommended, always finding interesting stuff there. Mississippi Records has some nice stuff and is pretty much the only place here in Portland other than Jump Jump and Hall of Records where you'll find Latin records. Jump Jump has a nice minty selection to choose from.

• my 2 cents after spending nearly a week there just a few weeks back!

music millenium yielded, as did crossroads ( a little pricey but had some solid stuff across the board)

heard mississippi was dope, didnt get the chance to hit it up.....recommend doing so >.

jump jump is good....hall of records will keep you occupied a minute, and should deliver some goods!

timing i guess is everything in this game tho!

good luck with getting your dig on!!

and food is great in portland.....recommend the blossoming lotus just to get some RAW food happening! really really good stuff and the missus will appreciate it! strong cocktails, too!!!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    esskay said:
    -Hello-
    Going with the girlfriend this weekend to Portland-we both have never been there. Will do minimal record digging but wanted to maximize my time doing this-maybe one afternoon. I was thinking that the 3 spots to go to are Crossroads, Mississippi Records, & Jump Jump but wanted feedback on Hall Of Records, Sonic Recollections, Quality Records, Music Millenium, Everyday Music, & 2nd Av Records-I'm up for looking at all types of used records but naturally jazz/soul/funk/latin/brazilian/psych/etc are my preferred things. In addition what are the good swap meets/flea markets on Saturday-Sunday where records are likely to pop up. Also any ideas on eclectic restuarants-Top 5 & cool mid century/50s to 70s modern furniture, etc stores. Lastly is it worth it to go to Salem for the record stores or digging? I guess it's only an hour away. Thanks in advance.

SK

Reading this again. You don't have to leave Portland to dig for records so I would scratch Salem.
    Also an hour or less away are, Mt Hood - get food at Timberline Lodge, Multnomah Falls - Breakfast at the Lodge is recommended (May be closed for winter), MT St Helens - Watch the movie at Johnson Ridge, The Pacific Ocean, Vineyards and restaurants in the Willamette Valley around Dundee.

The good midcenturymodernfurniture store in the Hollywood District moved to locations unknown, but you might find some furniture and records (Shhh) at the Hollywood Antiques shops on 42nd Ave. Not sure how much furniture they have but the shops at Sandy and 28th are cool, but I have not been in for years. The best furniture spot is likely the one Wu mentioned, and Timbuktunes is a great spot, say 'hi' to Andy.