Grateful Dead

2»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Jerry's Guitar at 4:30 am on ACID is the shit.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    As far as bay-area Americana rock, gimmie CCR the gollywogs any day of the week.

fuck it, that first dead LP is a great garage psych record....

• In the 90s I'd gently push the Dead on friends with college radio shows or people whose taste I respected, at the very least ask them to reassess their prejudices if they were into Popol Vuh or similar sounding music. Major eye rollage in return.

Now that modern day bands like Bands of Horses or Animal Collective owe an indirect debt to them and the Other Music clerks all ride for the Dead I feel.. VINDICATED

• As a freshman in college, I took a lot of drugs and listened to the Dead. I took a lot of drugs and listened to Phish. And, I took a lot of drugs and listened to jazz. I was very cool, and I took a lot of drugs.

At this point in my life, I don't take drugs, Phish is fucking horrible, and I don't go back to jazz like I used to. But, once a year, I will binge on the Dead. Mostly the hallowed '67-'72 shit, but some other songs in particular will always get my rocks off. I think that's what keeps them in rotation- they do have some GREAT songs in their catalog.

The following STEAL MY FACE

Scarlet->Fire
    China->Rider
    Loser (x 1,000,000)
    Althea
    New Speedway Boogie
    Morning Dew
    He's Gone

Once a year, I'll scratch that itch, binge on these songs, and be happy I did it.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    live jams from 70-73 sound pretty "psychedelic" to me
    pig pen of course

• Listened to Bears Choice the other day, and it seems whatever reasons people have for not liking this band are not on that record.

Absolutely nothing wrong with Katie Mae, Smokestack, etc.

Of course it helps when Pigpen is singing.

If they would have disbanded in '72 or something soulstrut would probably see them much differently.
    The two HUGE negatives hadn't developed yet, when they became more of an "entity", ie: Jerry's endless noodling solos and the enormous fanbase. These two things I think really turned a lot of people off.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I would echo everything Rock said.
    Wish I had come up with that Starship dig.

I have bashed the dead many times here. I will try not to today.

My favorite Dead joke:
    What did the deadhead say when he ran out of pot? (Answer below.)

I saw them twice.
    In the early 70s at a free show at American University. (Someone here once gave the exact date when I mentioned it before.) I had my only bad acid trip at that show. Never liked them after that.

Saw them again at Autzen Stadium in the early 90s. I had a backstage pass so I could hear Hart talk about his new ethnic record label.
    Backstage at a dead show is an amazing place. 100s of people have back stage passes. We were in the Alumni Club House behind the stadium. Couldn't even hear the music. Met lots of interesting people. The people who were not in the backstage area were the band and close friends like Ken Kesey who was rumored to be about.

So back to hearing Hart talk. (What's his first name? Micky?) One thing he said he wanted to do with the money that the recordings would make for the nomadic tribes he had recorded was to help sustain their communities. Community building. He then pointed out that community building is what the dead do. More than any other band they have created a community of fans. The parking lot at their show is like a whole city.

Dead heads are a diverse community. We can laugh about unwashed hippies, whirling dancers and dopers. But the truth is, I have never met a deadhead I didn't like. Ok, maybe one or two. But mostly nice folks who lead all kinds of lives. Those folks have a community that they and the band created together, and that is a cool thing.

Another great thing about the dead and their fans is their love for great American music. Deadheads tend to like and be knowledgeable about a wide spectrum of music. Bill Monroe, Peter Rowan and bluegrass and traditional country. Merle Saunders and lots of great jazz. Bobby Bland and Santana and lots of bluesy stuff.

OK, I can't stand it any longer. Anyone can like what they want. We all have different taste. Fine. BUT, 2 DRUMMERS, 2 GUITAR PLAYERS, KEYS AND BASS AND NO ONE CAN PLAY A BACK BEAT! Please just turn it off. Don't tell me that Jerry plays great guitar solos. I worked 8 hours a day with deadheads and listened to hundreds of hours of live tapes that disprove that point.

Sorry. I mean it doesn't appeal to me, but if you like it it must be good.

*This music sucks!

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    just smoked bowl and am now listening to these bootleg from 1966:

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1966-11-19.sbd.miller.94106.sbeok.flac16

so bake