Weekend Finds: Aug. 13th-14th

Comments

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    sloooooooooooooooooooooowwwwww weekend

and co-sign on that Poppy Family. shits

• -- everyone sweats similar girly California pop psych raers but so often sleep on this record which is as good as Guryan, Priddy, etc. I think their second album, Poppy Seeds, is even better. Anyone checked out / have opinions on the solo Susan Jacks LPs?

yeah that poppy family is pretty cool.

i think chris carnahan has stock of that if anyone wants one. he may not have them anymore though.

dave

• roistoroisto 879 Posts

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

AKA the ghetto Olivia Newton-John

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    found a handful of tihngs this weekend. This one is definitly the highlight though

Richard Berry & the Soul Serchers[/b] "Wild Berry" (Pam) - Los Angeles Private press soul/funk LP from 1970. Title track has a 2 minute long drum breakdown

Give it up for Long Beach!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

That is a really nice record. One of those "I need to burn this to CD" type records.

Wow. That one got me laughing, because I went on a long road trip today with my #1 girl, and as she was flipping through the CD's I had brought along I said, "I really wish I had burned a copy of this amazing Laurindo Almeida record I got the other day, it would have been perfect for the ride..."

• Options

AKA the ghetto Olivia Newton-John

Funny thing is that album has a Flashdance cover (What a Feeling) on it...and couple deadly tracks

Betrayed

K.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

That is a really nice record. One of those "I need to burn this to CD" type records.

Wow. That one got me laughing, because I went on a long road trip today with my #1 girl, and as she was flipping through the CD's I had brought along I said, "I really wish I had burned a copy of this amazing Laurindo Almeida record I got the other day, it would have been perfect for the ride..."

Damn, what does this thing sound like? A local spot has a copy of this and it was always one of those covers that lingers in my mind as i flicked past it.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Damn, what does this thing sound like? A local spot has a copy of this and it was always one of those covers that lingers in my mind as i flicked past it.

Around half of it is pretty cool brazilian guitar styled versions of pieces by Bach with Almeida on guitar and Brown on upright bass. The rest of the tracks ("Brazilian Greens" "Mo' Greens") add a dope (uncredited) drummer, and go on to some next level shit, just a real nice sound, a perfect mix of players bringing some laid-back b-boy summer iced-tea sippin' heatness.

• [email]Y@K[/email] Ballz - Homepiss EP on Fondle Em
    Spice-1 - Amerikkka's Nightmare
    Boogiemonsters - Strange 12"
    Sunz Of Man EP

and a few other 12"s and this bad boy.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    I bought the best 20 early 90s hip hop records that I currently own over the weekend.

and got a 1st pressing of that collectors LP. holler.

soul jazz out the yin yin too.

Cincy is cheep. Kentucky is for the birds.

• back in the day that JERU THE BITCHEZ was the raer 12" that the japanese went GA GA over.

bestsound was paying $200 USD for that shit.

can you say RAER?

I remmember on my second trip to NYC back in 2001, the first place I went digging at was Kims. Walked and dude had two unpriced cartes of hiphop he'd just received. After some begging I got to go through them. Pulled out a mint copy of Da Bitchez 12" (among a lot of other usually expensive titles) and thought he was gonna charge me a fortune for it.

Priced it at $5.95.

I had to contain myself.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Nice blaster! How much did you end up paying for it?

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Debbie Hayes & The Universal Robot Band - Let's Get This Thing Together 12"
    Key-Matic - Breakin' In Space 12"
    Felicia - No Time Wasted 12"
    Mr Q - DJ Style 12"
    Marlena Shaw - Never Give Up On You 12"
    Silk - Party/Broadway - X-15 12"
    Cloud One - Atmosphere Strutt 12"
    3 Swimmers - American Technology EP
    Eddie Kendricks - Ain't No Smoke Without Fire/Whip 12"
    Eddie Kendricks - Goin' Up In Smoke LP
    TMP Band - Ring Ring 12"
    Nocera - Summertime, Summertime 12"
    L'Ectrique - Struck By Boogie Lightning 12"
    Boiling Point - Starstruck Lover 12"
    Ten City - Whateever Makes You Happy 12"
    Bionic Boogie LP

• Nice blaster! How much did you end up paying for it?

I payed 20 for it. Shoulda tried to get it cheaper but still a nice find.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    "Should have tried to get it cheaper"

• Still a nice find. I love it.

• back in the day that JERU THE BITCHEZ was the raer 12" that the japanese went GA GA over.

bestsound was paying $200 USD for that shit.

can you say RAER?

Them days.

For a while ebay was a magical machine for converting $1 hip-hop 12"s into pricey jazz. One $40 or 50 king tee 12" at a time. Not even worth picking up for resale any more. (which is fine, they stay in the collection)

• This one was minty! Whassup with the Dr. John/Jesse Hill/etc connection on this album:

Harold Battiste - one of the original A.F.O. session guys from New Orleans, relocated to L.A. in the early 60's, and ended up working as musical director for Sonny & Cher. He brought out a bunch of NOLA guys, like Dr. John, Alvin Robinson and Jesse Hill for session work. Dr. John's first LP was recorded using leftover Sonny & Cher session time. Battiste went on to be the driving force behind Pulsar records, where he would use all of those guys, and also release 45s by Robinson and Hill (check out Hill's 'Mardi Gras' on Pulsar, a funk banger).

• metalstrut...

I'm not usually jealous over finds posts but Venom...

Shit!

Nice digs.

Makes my second haul of 80s rap promo 12s over the weekend pale.

The best part about Venom records is they have a function beyond just listening to them. If you put one on, your girlfriend instantly disappears. Scientific fact. If you ever need to be alone and she won't leave, drop the needle on "Countess Bathory" or "At War With Satan" and they go running, covering their ears.

I am green with envy.

Deep beats and green crates,
    SonicReducer
    (TEAMAARON)

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    The best part about Venom records is they have a function beyond just listening to them. If you put one on, your girlfriend instantly disappears. Scientific fact. If you ever need to be alone and she won't leave, drop the needle on "Countess Bathory" or "At War With Satan" and they go running, covering their ears.

hahaha!!!!

metalstrut...

I am green with
    envy.[/b]

Something that will also get you closer to the dark lord!

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    A couple of records that I picked up yesterday from Atlanta:

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

-- everyone sweats similar girly California pop psych raers but so often sleep on this record which is as good as Guryan, Priddy, etc. I think their second album, Poppy Seeds, is even better. Anyone checked out / have opinions on the solo Susan Jacks LPs?

I have a clean copy for trade if anyone is interested.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Yo, Dr*w Nice 2, check your PMs hommie!

(Not necss. about the Poppy Family LP.)

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    Kentucky is for the birds.

• Woke up at 3, drove for 3 hours, and was paid kindly by the record gods.

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    file under:

i want that west coast pop art experimental band record

• Good news: it's for sale.

Bad news: it's not cheap.