Charles Bradley Appreciation (Daptone R)

eliseelise 3,252 Posts
edited January 2011 in Strut Central

My new favorite artist of '11. 62 years old and putting out his first album---mad love.

Comments

• Word. Been playin his daptone 45 out for years and been playing tracks from this new LP on the radio show for the past few weeks...tremendous singer.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Honestly, much as I wanted to like this new album, it surprisingly didn't really make much of an impression on me besides a small handful of songs (one or two of which I had already heard before). I think part of it is that Bradley has a great voice but a limited one, insofar as there's a narrow lane in which he sounds great but it doesn't carry into other styles. Lee Fields, by comparison, is more rounded.

Definitely made me appreciate just how truly gifted Sharon is in terms of the range of styles she can cover.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Thanks, really nice stuff.
    The Daptones are a great band.

When I used to go out (in the 70-80s) I heard lots of great soul singers.
    Famous and lesser. Sam & Dave and Linda Hornbuckle, Etta James and Isaac Scott, Neville Brothers and some Syracuse soul singers I can't remember.
    Few of them had bands that could compare to the Daptones.

The soul singers I heard with bands that were better than the Daptones were:
    James Brown's Bands, and the HI Studio band who I heard with Al Green in the mid 80s and again with Otis Clay in the 90s.

Now I am remembering other great bands. Bands who were as good at what they did as the Daptones are, like:
    Etta James in Seattle with a pick up band that include Leo Nocentelli and Kenny Gorelic long before he was Kenny G. Great show. Bobby Bland at a night club in Syracuse with his great band. Wayne Bennett on guitar. And I love the Neville brothers.

Lots of other stars had bands playing pedestrian soul music.
    Often bored jazz greats who failed to understand the dynamics and interlocking rhythms that make GREAT soul music so satisfying.

I used to hate on the daptones.

Sorry for the long post.

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    I got a copy for myself and wifey as well. I agree with both Manny and Elise on the topic though, it's my front runner record of 2011 so far but it doesn't quite stand up to the rest of Daptone's catalog. He kills it in places but some songs come up a bit short. I definitely ride for his 45s though. Seems like dude has been through a lot so it's good to see him finally get a full length.

• Saw him live with Lee Fields and loved it. My track is the one about his brother dying. Good stuff.

• LaserWolf said:

I thouht it was The Menahan Street Band. Is it not?

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    therecordpeddler said:
    LaserWolf said:

Yeah it is. My understanding is that Menahan is a conglomeration of the Budos Band and the Dap-Kings that was produced by Brenneck rather than Roth. Steinweiss on drums is killer. Best 16th note hats in the game.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    saw him open for lee fields last year. menahan street band held it down. the whole show was amazing. great vibe. charles put on a great performance. very sincere.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    minneap said:
    therecordpeddler said:
    LaserWolf said:

Yeah it is. My understanding is that Menahan is a conglomeration of the Budos Band and the Dap-Kings that was produced by Brenneck rather than Roth. Steinweiss on drums is killer. Best 16th note hats in the game.

Thanks. Those Daptone bands are great. I don't really follow, and I wasn't knowing Menahan. Budos I have heard and like.

MSB is really mostly Brenneck - he plays a few different instruments and then tracks 'em all together. He does draw on Budos and Daptone guys to fill in on certain songs but other tracks, from what I understand, he creates by himself.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    MSB is really mostly Brenneck - he plays a few different instruments and then tracks 'em all together. He does draw on Budos and Daptone guys to fill in on certain songs but other tracks, from what I understand, he creates by himself.
    Holy shit i had no idea
    the MSB album is my favorite recording of the new millenium
    i love how lee fields and the world(is going up in flames) made me do a double take in an era blindtest type of way the first time i heard them mixed in with older soul tunes

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    MSB is the El Michels Affair, give or take 2 dudes.

• Isn't Brenneck a guitarist in all the bands discussed in this thread. (MSB, Dapkings, Budos & El Michels) ?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    yeah, it's all essentially the same guys (give or take a few here & there). Antibalas too. Although the touring Dap-Kings didn't have Brenneck, Roth or Sugarman when I saw them a few weeks back. So it's all pretty fluid at times.

As far as MSB is concerned though, it's Brenneck's baby, the same way Daptones is Roth's. And like I said, at least for the MSB album, in at least a few cases, Brenneck put together most of the song and might have brought in an extra player or two to complete it but I got the sense, talking to him, he was creating a lot of songs at his home studio by over-tracking himself on a variety of instruments.

• For whoever buys the LP or Titletrack 45, check out who wrote "No Time For Dreaming"

• jjrocksjjrocks 109 Posts
    Saw him live last night. He's great.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    jjrocks said:
    Saw him live last night. He's great.

I was there last night as well. Charles killed it:

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
    holmes said:
    yeah, it's all essentially the same guys (give or take a few here & there). Antibalas too. Although the touring Dap-Kings didn't have Brenneck, Roth or Sugarman when I saw them a few weeks back. So it's all pretty fluid at times.

Pretty sure Brenneck retired from DapKings to focus fully on Budos and Menahan.

If you guys dig Budos and Menahan, be sure to check out the Ohio label 'Colemine'. Several of their tracks were recorded in Brooklyn by Brenneck. You can really hear the influence on this one:

Terry from Colemine might be around here someplace? Not sure if he posts....

-pj

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    pj4533 said:
    Several of their tracks were recorded in Brooklyn by Brenneck. You can really hear the influence on this one:

The credits are 3 of the Budos (percussion, keys, baritone), that's where the sound comes from just as much as Tommy being the next incarnation of Bosco Mann, or the shitty is pretty 2" tape. These guys have been playing together for a decade, and they all have side projects. I wouldn't be so quick to try to point at this or that budding super producer, just yet.

That was my point in mentioning El Michels, But no, ODub had to go a be his usual name-droppy self and put and "angle" on it.

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
    SportCasual said:

The credits are 3 of the Budos (percussion, keys, baritone), that's where the sound comes from just as much as Tommy being the next incarnation of Bosco Mann, or the shitty is pretty 2" tape. These guys have been playing together for a decade, and they all have side projects. I wouldn't be so quick to try to point at this or that budding super producer, just yet.

Didn't register that it was Budos playing too, but I guess I heard that as well.

At any rate, I just wanna make sure people know about Colemine. They are putting out some great records, especially for people that dig the scarin-the-kids instrumental sounds.

-pj

SportCasual said:
    pj4533 said:
    Several of their tracks were recorded in Brooklyn by Brenneck. You can really hear the influence on this one:

That was my point in mentioning El Michels, But no, ODub had to go a be his usual name-droppy self and put and "angle" on it.

*laugh* C'mon dude, I just like giving credit where it's due. I did like the "next incarnation of Bosco Mann" line. Don't know if that's an "oof" or not though.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    I just like giving credit where it's due

Good for you, I just like it when people really know what they are talking about.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    SportCasual said:

At any rate, I just wanna make sure people know about Colemine. They are putting out some great records, especially for people that dig the scarin-the-kids instrumental sounds.

-pj

count me in
    thanks for putting onto this

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    saw him open for budos this past friday, the dude killed it, and most of the crowd was not expecting this man to come out and do what he did, mouths were agape. the screamin eagle bedazzled jacket is worth the price of admission alone.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    cookbook said:
    saw him open for budos this past friday, the dude killed it, and most of the crowd was not expecting this man to come out and do what he did, mouths were agape. the screamin eagle bedazzled jacket is worth the price of admission alone.

Shooot. Now I want that jacket.