Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role
Christian Bale (The Fighter)
John Hawkes (Winter's Bone)
Jeremy Renner (The Town)
Mark Ruffalo (The Kids are All Right)
Geoffrey Rush (The King's Speech)

Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role
Amy Adams (The Fighter)
Helena Bonham Carter (The King's Speech)
Melissa Leo (The Fighter)
Hailee Steinfeld (True Grit)
Jacki Weaver (Animal Kingdom)

Best Animated Feature Film of the Year
How to Train Your Dragon
The Illusionist
Toy Story 3

Best Documentary Short Subject
Killing in the Name
Poster Girl
Strangers No More
Sun Come Up
The Warriors of Qiugang

Best Short Film (Animated)
Day & Night Teddy Newton
The Gruffalo Jakob Schuh and Max Lang
Let's Pollute Geefwee Boedoe
The Lost Thing Shaun Tan and Andrew Ruhemann
Madagascar, carnet de voyage (Madagascar, a Journey Diary) Bastien Dubois

Best Short Film (Live Action)
The Confession Tanel Toom
The Crush Michael Creagh
God of Love Luke Matheny
Na Wewe Ivan Goldschmidt
Wish 143 Ian Barnes and Samantha Waite

Achievement in Art Direction
Alice in Wonderland
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1
Inception
The King's Speech
True Grit

Achievement in Cinematography
Black Swan (Matthew Libatique)
Inception (Wally Pfister)
The King's Speech (Danny Cohen)
The Social Network (Jeff Cronenweth)
True Grit (Roger Deakins)
Achievement in Costume Design
Alice in Wonderland (Colleen Atwood)
I Am Love (Antonella Cannarozzi)
The King's Speech (Jenny Beaven)
The Tempest (Sandy Powell)
True Grit (Mary Zophres)

Achievement in Directing

Darren Aronofsky (Black Swan)
David O. Russell (The Fighter)
Tom Hooper (The King's Speech)
David Fincher (The Social Network)
Joel and Ethan Coen (True Grit)

Best Documentary Feature
Exit through the Gift Shop Banksy, director (Paranoid Pictures)
Gasland Josh Fox, director (Gasland Productions, LLC)
Inside Job Charles Ferguson, director (Representational Pictures)
Restrepo Tim Hetherington and Sebastian Junger, directors (Outpost Films)
Waste Land Lucy Walker, director (Almega Projects)

Adapted Screenplay
127 Hours (Simon Beaufoy and Danny Boyle)
The Social Network (Aaron Sorkin)
Toy Story 3 (Michael Arndt, story by John Lasseter, Andrew Stanton and Lee Unkrich)
True Grit (Joel Coen and Ethan Coen)
Winter's Bone (Debra Granik and Anne Rossellini)

Original Screenplay
Another Year (Mike Leigh)
The Fighter (Paul Attanasio, Lewis Colich, Eric Johnson, Scott Silverand Paul Tamasy)
Inception (Christopher Nolan)
The Kids are All Right (Stuart Blumberg and Lisa Cholodenko)
The King's Speech (David Seidler)

Comments

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I don't understand how shorty from True Grit could possibly be in the supporting category -- it was her movie. I hate the Oscars though. Every year's nominations and then awards just confirm the bias.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    I just don't like the new 10 movie nom thing for best picture. silly.

shorten that list to:

[del]Black Swan[/del]
    The Fighter
    [del]Inception[/del]
    [del]The Kids are All Right[/del]
    The King's Speech
    The Social Network
    [del]127 Hours[/del]
    Toy Story 3 (love Toy Stories, but this even sorta feels off)
    True Grit

and for Winter's Bone - dunno, haven't seen it

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    Woimsah said:

and for Winter's Bone - dunno, haven't seen it

Winter's Boner was hot. Better than most of the other things I've seen on that list. Frankly, I'm surprised they nominated it.

• black swan was good, don't think it was best picture good, but glad to see np with the best actress nod, she was great in that flick.

• winters bone was my second favorite movie all last year, after The Social Network
    I hope Jennifer Lawrence wins because she BODIED that movie.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    white_tea said:
    I don't understand how shorty from True Grit could possibly be in the supporting category -- it was her movie. I hate the Oscars though. Every year's nominations and then awards just confirm the bias.

She was robbed.

Some commentators think she was put in the supporting list because she would have a better chance there.
    Fuck that shit.
    She deserves to compete with the big stars.

Ive only seen 4 of these, so I will shut up.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Very excited to see the bizarre, brilliant Greek dark comedy DOGTOOTH up for best foreign language film.

It'll make for some truly odd television If they actually show a representative clip from the film.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    just put that in my netflix que, can't wait to see it

• aside from the fact that it is hilarious (and questionable) that exit through is in the doc category, who will banksy send to accept his award? mr. bw? fairey? colbert?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    "Exit Through" was a pretty great doc; not sure what's so "questionable" about it but I'm also not trying to start up another 10 page Banksy thread.

As for Hallie's nom: yeah, the ONLY reason she was put in a "supporting" category was strategic; they didn't think she could get the nom as a "lead actress" contender (looking over who they did go with, I think they should have tried). Stuff like that happens all the time; kind of bullshit if you ask me (I also question Annette Bening being a "lead actress" in what was clearly an ensemble cast) but that's not the Academy who's making those choices.

I think it'd be great if Jennifer Lawrence won but talk about your dark horses. Really happy to see Hawkes get a supporting nod from the same film - he was fantastic but he's not about to take out Geoffrey Rush (not this year).

mannybolone said:

I think it'd be great if Jennifer Lawrence won but talk about your dark horses. Really happy to see Hawkes get a supporting nod from the same film - he was fantastic but he's not about to take out Geoffrey Rush (not this year).

You think Rush will get it over C Bale? Dude's a shoe-in, IMO. I loved Rush in King's Speech, but the hype about Bale in The Fighter is too deafening for him to not win it.

• Options
    Local buzz on "The Fighter" that I'm not sure made it to national news... There was a preview screening in Lowell and Micky Ward's sisters were invited. They weren't happy with their portrayal in the pic and they walked out en masse at some point. Hard to imagine why, huh?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    check out Incendies

Woimsah said:
    mannybolone said:

You think Rush will get it over C Bale? Dude's a shoe-in, IMO. I loved Rush in King's Speech, but the hype about Bale in The Fighter is too deafening for him to not win it.

Hard call. "King's Speech" in general, is getting strong momentum and frankly, Rush > Firth in that film. Firth is a shoe-in for Best Actor (if you're gonna play odds) and if the film ends up pulling Best Picture votes, it could be a sweep.

In contrast, I feel like "The Fighter's" presence has been more muted. That said, Bale's got as good a shot as any. Either way, I don't see Hawkes staging the upset.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    No-one's ever asked me to cast my vote.

Who votes in this shit?

skel said:
    No-one's ever asked me to cast my vote.

Who votes in this shit?

You in the industry?

• pppppppp 261 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    white_tea said:

She was robbed.

Some commentators think she was put in the supporting list because she would have a better chance there.
    Fuck that shit.

I'm so surprised that everyone thought she was great - I found her really distractingly amateur. I mean, she's just a 14 year old kid so I'm not trying to rag on her or anything, but....Oscar nomination? This is just as confusing to me as last year's Anna Kendrick supporting actress nod.

pppp said:
    LaserWolf said:
    white_tea said:

She was robbed.

Fuck that shit.

I'm so surprised that everyone thought she was great - I found her really distractingly amateur. I mean, she's just a 14 year old kid so I'm not trying to rag on her or anything, but....Oscar nomination? This is just as confusing to me as last year's Anna Kendrick supporting actress nod.

that's a pretty interesting opinion, as it's pretty much unanimous that she killed. what exactly was amateur about her? Kendrick was pretty ill in Up In The Air as well -- she played her part very well, that's why she was nominated for an oscar. not trying to be a douche, just genuinely curious as to how you came to that opinion?

• pppppppp 261 Posts
    I just found her acting really stunted in a lines being read off the page fashion, but I give her a pass cause she's so young....or perhaps it was supposed to seem theatrical in an old-Hollywood sort of way? Either way, I found her distracting and I definitely wouldn't put an Oscar on it.

I guess I would go for Melissa Leo (The Fighter) in the supporting actress category.

pppp said:
    I just found her acting really stunted in a lines being read off the page fashion, but I give her a pass cause she's so young....or perhaps it was supposed to seem theatrical in an old-Hollywood sort of way? Either way, I found her distracting and I definitely wouldn't put an Oscar on it.

I guess I would go for Melissa Leo (The Fighter) in the supporting actress category.

I;ve watched trailers and scenes from the 1969 film.
    In that film they approached the rich, dense language by slowing it down and breaking it into short phrases.
    In this version Steinfeld and Bridges spit those lines out like they mean them. As if it was their natural way of speaking. If you are not paying attention you will miss something.
    I thought it was kind of Shakespearean.
    The difference between the old (1969?) Romeo and Juilet, and the DeCaprio version.

But I liked the movie and her performance.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I am surprised and delighted to see a British film that goes against all standard Hollywood clich??s about the UK doing so well in the Academy Award nominations.

Plus one for Dogtooth, even though I'm still not convinced about the film as a whole, it would certainly be a more interesting winner of the award.