What were your landmark / gateway LPs?

2»

Comments

• Options
    batmon said:

Playgrounds - ZOOM TV Cast.

Not a Gateway album per se, but in nursury school, they would play this for us.
    Somehow my mommy was able to acquire the record from the school.
    My sister and I would sing to this shit(I still do at 40), while it played on her Bugs Bunny portable rekkid player.

I still have it to this day and have copped 4 sealed joints just for collectro vanity reasons.

Just a good ole' Kids record from a bygone era.

Shit comes w/ a poster, decals, and a sing-a-long lyrics booklet.

MY SHIT.

A friend of mine from junior high was one of the last kids cut from the cast of Zoom.

I always figured he dodged a life-disfiguring bullet. At least in our neighborhood.

• Vince Guaraldi- Jazz Impressions. It was the first RECORD I had ever heard, and it was the album that leapfrogged me into discovering other jazz musicians. If anything, I think it was THE gateway LP for me.

• djwaxondjwaxon 411 Posts

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    I was into R&B at the time and this, I guess...

..tripped me to sax playing. Which was by...

..which had ill bass by...

So then started checking out who he'd worked with at the time...

Marcus had got me into playing bass, and the guitar magazines at the time were all lamenting the death of this dude...

... who I'd never heard of. Got his solo album and Weather Report stuff....

And so it goes.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    1) First record: Captain and Tennille - Love Will Keep Us Together. Loved their TV variety show when I was a kid
    2) First Rock record I bought: Pat Benatar - Hit Me With Your Best Shot. I was a rocker kid beginning in Elementary School
    3) First Heavy Meal Record: Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast. JR. High-beginning of High School was really into metal and was in bands. This is when I started hunting records. Whenever I went into a town for vacation I would hit up the phone book and hit the record stores looking for metal records, especially imports, 12"s, etc.
    4) First Punk record: Minor Threat - ST. Friends turned me onto Punk in High School. Was in a punk band for a while. Started another collection frenzy
    5) First Ska record: Specials - ST. Collected all the English 2-Tone releases, plus 60s ska, rock steady, early Reggae
    7) First Rap Record: BDP - By Any Means Necessary. In the early 1980s my friends were in a bunch of breakdance crews. My friend had a bunch of Sugar Hill 12"s at the same time. For whatever reason though, I used to just buy tapes and didn't start buying rap vinyl until the 1990s
    I cant remember the first Soul/Funk record I bought but it was probably James Brown

• I was 12 when I first heard Placebo. It changed my life forever. Later that month, I heard Salt "Hung Up". I was hooked. I've been digging ever since then and at this point I think I have heard every rare record. If I haven't heard it, it's probably not rare.

I gotta check out some of these joints you guys posted, never really listened to stuff like Bad Brains or Al Green.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

I had listened to rap plenty in its early stages, from the Furious 5 to Soulsonic Force, to Run DMC and LL Cool J, and whatnot, but once I got ahold of this album, recorded for me by a friend to cassette...GAME OVER!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    As cheesy as it sounds, this Spin Doctors album got me into funk in the early 90s:

In the mid 90s found this at a thrift store and sent me on a trek for raer:

Then I heard this record and it was over:

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts

This record set me on the path to discover both punk rock and Jamaican music, both of which have consumed much of my adult life. Pretty crazy for a record that I cannot sit thru now.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts

My version has a different cover but basically this collection of 12" mixes of D-Train got me hooked on boogie. It was just this one record. Before I never picked up any 80s soul/dance music.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    I've been digging ever since then and at this point I think I have heard every rare record. If I haven't heard it, it's probably not rare.

Hubris or humour?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Flomotion said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    I've been digging ever since then and at this point I think I have heard every rare record. If I haven't heard it, it's probably not rare.

Hubris or humour?

Your sarcasm meter is off

• Definetely these blew the lid off a lot of music people on this side of the pond could only imagine owning or even hearing until ebay came along.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_x2bBfwWboGg/S5-zPB14_YI/AAAAAAAABoA/UyBHtdEdjRI/s1600-h/USoAf.jpeg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GFrKh-YS0KM/SXcWMzvk2ZI/AAAAAAAABIQ/vAefgYSNGOQ/s640/PICT1822.JPG

http://www.allmusic.com/album/best-of-luv-n-haight-vol-1-r281461

http://www.souljazzrecords.co.uk/releases/?id=195

Fear of a Black planet Main Ingredient by Pete Rock and Cl Smooth and Low End Theory were the end of my rock punk psych grunge days although the psych still lingers

Traffic Sounds Virgin was a big influence

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

When I was in high school learning how to play the guitar and playing Nirvana and Weezer tunes, my stepdad gave me this CD. It completely changed how I viewed musicians, music, talent, creativity. I must have learned how to play every song on that CD, and Jimi probably remains one of my favorite artists ever.

This was the first jazz record I ever bought. I took a media studies class in high school and I remember watching a video of him playing like 3 or 4 instruments at the same time. That totally blew me away so the next time I went to Tower Records I picked this up.

• esskayesskay 221 Posts
    Yes
    Attached files

• esskayesskay 221 Posts
    One more time
    Attached files

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts

• DownstrokeDownstroke 81 Posts

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

then I started to dribble in tepid jazz fusion and my life's been in a downward spiral since....

• EL CHAMACOEL CHAMACO 96 Posts
    batmon said:

Playgrounds - ZOOM TV Cast.

Not a Gateway album per se, but in nursury school, they would play this for us.
    Somehow my mommy was able to acquire the record from the school.
    My sister and I would sing to this shit(I still do at 40), while it played on her Bugs Bunny portable rekkid player.

I still have it to this day and have copped 4 sealed joints just for collectro vanity reasons.

Just a good ole' Kids record from a bygone era.

Shit comes w/ a poster, decals, and a sing-a-long lyrics booklet.

MY SHIT.

I totally have this record somewhere.. although I think I must have missed this
    cast.. I was a more mid to late 70's viewer of that show. I'll have to check youtube
    to revisit that ish..

• BlastkidBlastkid 240 Posts
    The three most important albums in my life so far:

1) Wu-Tang Clan - 36 Chambers, which made me love music

2) Miles Davis - Ascenseur Pour l'Echafaud (this was in my mom's collection, the first jazz album I ever heard and hundreds of jazz albums later still one of the very best...)

3) Nico Gomez - Ritual (the first time I found a rare album at a flea market, this started my love for funk music, latin music and local records. Still one of my most cherished records)