CHOPPERS [HELLA RELATED]

grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
edited January 2011 in Strut Central
hi folks. anyone ever been in one? im thinking of taking one of them touristy tour helicopter rides to do some low end photography but i was wondering what some of the pitfalls might be. like does it vibrate much? can i get birdseye shots by hanging out the side? im thinking of bringing a tripod but if the whole chasis shakes its pretty useless. i dont know who to turn to and i figured faux_rillz has 2 luxury copters on his yacht and could at least belittle me and my poor man questions.

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Holla at cha boy TC

• You can forget about a tripod! The whole thing will be shaking for sure. If you want to take pictures you need to be able to either open the door or take it off before taking off. In most of the smaller touristy ones you simply take the door off which means it will be hella cold during winter and even warmer temps can cool you down quite a bit if you have to fly without a door. Bring warm clothes and ear plugs if your choice of transportation is so low budget that they don't have helmets with headsets.

A tour looking down on the Big Apple from above is totally worth it. Even without pictures. Go to Jersey for the cheaper flights.

Dress

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Years ago I took a helicopter tour of Kauai (mindblowing) and took some cool pictures (with a shitty camera) and vibration wasn't a problem. Whether you will be able to lean out the window depends on the chopper/pilot. Also, I was in the front seat next to the pilot - the people in back would have had a much harder time of it.

I'm guessing that a tripod wouldn't be helpful.

• thanks for the reply dudes. i should elaborate and say that i will be shooting video, so i need some sort of stabilization device. im using a dslr to shoot video and those never have image stabilizers so i want to minimize all that shaky shit as much as i can. i'll prolly still bring the tripod or minipod type dealie.

DOORS OPEN MAYNE. thanks for that tip!

• I should add that I was shooting video as well. If you decide to use a tripod / monopod or whatever please report back. Also make sure to brief the pilot really well about what you are looking for before take off because everything is easier to arrange on the ground.

Have fun!

Dress

• requisite soundtrack:

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts

• leonleon 883 Posts

• leon said:

ha, I know her...

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Is it any good? It looks very promising!

• leon said:
    Is it any good? It looks very promising!

I dunno...I don't care for it, but most raps ain't my cup of tea. Im not the best barometer for raps quality. It's Memphis style, southern gangsta stuff.

• FYI: that shit was awesome! taking the doors off is a must. even without cameras. its the difference between riding in a car and riding on a motorcycle. way more visceral.